Too Hot?

gotpancakes

Bronze
Nov 24, 2007
hey whats up guys! iv had my MBP for quite some time now.. about two months and i got a widget called istat pro.. i bet you have all heard of it anyway...
on it it shows u the temp. of dif. things on your Mac.
a lot of my stuff is hitting above 110 degress..
my CPU A is at 160 and my GPU Diode is at 169 my airport card is 135 and so on... is this too hot for a MBP or normal..? should i take it into Apple and see what they think?
any help is welcome. thank!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
perfectly normal. I think this is a classic case of to much information for general use. To us, 100+ degrees F sounds too hot, but Apple designed their stuff to work within those conditions, and programmed the fans accordingly.

if you really want to lower the temps, you can use "smc fan control", but i wouldn't mess with it.

here's mine for comparison. keep in mind i was just surfing the web when i took this screenie.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Get worried when things reach 190. Electronics always run hot as a fact of life (some of the electricity is lost as heat), but at a certain point, they start getting too hot to operate normally. This is typically above 80 degrees C, and until that point, you shouldn't concern yourself with it. If you'd like to extend the life of the electronics in your device from, say, 9 years to 10 years, you could purchase a notebook fan for $10-15 at your nearest computer-literate store, set your computer on it, and it will draw heat from the bottom surface of the notebook, allowing heat to exit the internal workings more easily.

However, you are much more likely to lose a hard drive or other moving part to mechanical failure long before you ever erode your electronic pathways via the heat they generate in normal use.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
If you'd like to extend the life of the electronics in your device from, say, 9 years to 10 years, you could purchase a notebook fan for $10-15 at your nearest computer-literate store, set your computer on it, and it will draw heat from the bottom surface of the notebook, allowing heat to exit the internal workings more easily.
unfortunately, there are no vents on the underside of MBPs... he'd have to set a fan behind the LCD, and i'm not sure if that would help much either.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
unfortunately, there are no vents on the underside of MBPs... he'd have to set a fan behind the LCD, and i'm not sure if that would help much either.
The chassis itself acts as a heatsink, so cooling it off still helps.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
i have one of these for my powerbook G4. It was called an ibreeze. Not sure they still make them, but it worked very well.