Too much heat

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by silvermoon, Jul 5, 2015.

1. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I have been watching the Acurite indoor thermometer that I have and my room was at 81F. Since I turned on my laptop, I noticed the temp has increased between 6-7 degrees. I'm not running any CPU intensive apps like 3D games or Photoshop. I have Chrome open with one tab and Firefox open with two tabs. The only other apps that are open are iMessage, Atom, and Slack.

I definitely feel the heat coming from the machine as I'm typing on the keyboard. I haven't checked the internal temp of the laptop, but this isn't the first time the machine has generated an excessive amount of heat. It may have something to do with the fact that after I reach 100% charge, I do let it continue to charge if I'm watching a video or running an app that I know will drain the battery more than usual.

IIRC, once the machine has reached 100% battery capacity, it does not continually charge and overcharge the battery. One more thought I had is to pick up a cooling pad for the laptop, but I'm not too sure how well those work out and have no personal experience with them. I'd like to keep myself cool and not be sweating in my room, though.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

A computer can raise the room temperature by a few degrees, but 7° sounds pretty high. Where in the room is the thermometer located? Are the computer fans running at high speed frequently? Post a screenshot of your computer temps.

3. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

The thermometer is away from my computer off to the right and not directly next to the heat source.

I found a command line program caled iStats to report temperature monitoring.

$ istats all

--- CPU Stats ---

CPU temp: 58.5°C ▁▂▃▅▆▇

--- Fan Stats ---

Total fans in system: 1

Fan 0 speed: 3163.0 RPM ▁▂▃▅▆▇

--- Battery Stats ---

Battery health: Good

Cycle count: 225 ▁▂▃▅▆▇ 22.5%

Max cycle count: 1000

Current charge: 4644 mAh 81%

Maximum charge: 6038 mAh ▁▂▃▅▆▇ 95.4%

Design capacity: 6330 mAh

Battery temp: 38.8°C

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Those temperatures look fine. The best thing you can do is increase circulation in the computer room. Installing a ceiling fan would be optimal and help the most. If this is not possible, regular fans will help a little. It's really hot where I live and I just have a regular fan in my computer room. Even though the temperature only reads one or two degrees higher than the other rooms, it feels noticeably warmer. I'm planning on installing a ceiling fan in the room next week.

Another thing you can do to help keep you cool is get a computer chair that is ventilated. I've done some research on it lately, and this is the chair I am probably going to order soon. If not that one, I'll go with the Herman Miller Embody. Along with the Herman Miller Mirra 2 being well ventilated, it's ergonomical and doesn't have a cushion that will break down in time. It's pricy, but it will save money in the long run and it has a ten-year warranty.

5. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I was excited to buy it until I saw the price. I'm going to shop around for some other ventilated chairs or something like it.

6. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

This is well ventilated. LOL
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1436324905.987282.jpg

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Don't laugh! Here it is complete with a NASCAR cooler!
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436468515.066414.jpg