Too soon to remove those security tethers?

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Last edited:

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
You may have heard that Apple is thinking of removing security tethers from iPhone display units in Apple Stores.

However, a bunch of thugs just stole a bunch of iPhones from an iPhone store (in the USA) which still had the security tethers in place.

View attachment 44945

Is it too soon to start removing these tethers?

Or maybe try first in a country with a lower crime right, like Switzerland… :D
So what? The iPhones are pretty much useless once they leave the store.

up10ad

Genius
Gold
Aug 1, 2007
Fruita , CO
up10ad.com
Customer satisfaction is of utmost importance to Apple and they are willing to take the slight risk of losing a few more phones in exchange for a better sales experience for customers. They may even sell a few more phones due to the change. I'm sure they have data to support their decision.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Customer satisfaction is of utmost importance to Apple and they are willing to take the slight risk of losing a few more phones in exchange for a better sales experience for customers. They may even sell a few more phones due to the change. I'm sure they have data to support their decision.
I've checked out phones at Apple and at carrier stores and often wished that the phones didn't have the security tether so that I could actually hold them the way I would in everyday use. I think this is a great idea in general.