Took me only 3 months to drop my iPhone. HELP!

Sep 3, 2007
:(O.k. it only took me 3 months to finally drop my iPhone, this is a lot longer then i thought it would take. The phone appears to be working perfectly with one exception. When i shake the phone or move it quickly I can hear parts inside of it rattling around as if they have broken off. The only feature that doesn't work is one i use all the time and that is the phone no longer vibrates. Any recommendations on how to "fix" it. Should i go back to Apple and ask them to fix it? Any other thoughts? Thanks in advace for your help.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Yes take it to Apple and get them to replace/repair it.
Make sure that you sync your phone before you go, and if you have jailbroken the phone, or unlocked the SIM, to restore it to virgin status before showing it to Apple.

iFuNk

Bronze
Oct 25, 2007
Is there a lot of physical evidence that you dropped it? ... if so .. Apple has been known to not cover it ... but i would give it a try.

spankbot

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
I recently dropped my phone as well... It was a really nasty fall too, where I accidentally threw it a few feet. It bounded around on the concrete and then slid (face down) a couple of feet. There were actually a few audible gasps from some people around me.

All I ended up with was a few minor scratches and a small dent on the case. The screen is scratch free, believe it or not...:sick:

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
I recently dropped my phone as well... It was a really nasty fall too, where I accidentally threw it a few feet. It bounded around on the concrete and then slid (face down) a couple of feet. There were actually a few audible gasps from some people around me.

All I ended up with was a few minor scratches and a small dent on the case. The screen is scratch free, believe it or not...:sick:
So tell me is it true, does everything happen in slow motion when this occurs?:p

Wes61991

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
Tennessee
So tell me is it true, does everything happen in slow motion when this occurs?:p
yes it does! I dropped mine last night. It fell out of my hoodie pocket and everything went slow motion! it was horrible and I felt sick after that. But I only ended up with a scratch.:)

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I dropped mine bad yesterday. My friend was dropping me off at the dealership to pick up my car. I had just gotten off the phone and put it in my lap. Stood up out of the car and the phone went sliding across the concrete. Thankfully it was on the back metal casing so there isn't really that much damage. Another reason I'm glad I have a PAP on it.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Well, I went to the iPhone store today for some battery issues and they offered to replace the phone without a hitch. Sweet, right?
Well on my way home, I swing by Wendy's to pick up dinner for me and the wife, and as I was leaving, it got hooked in the door handle (let me say that the phone was in my VAJA case on my hip). The door handle pulled the phone OUT of my case and I watched it slide out in front of me...face down.
I about dropped my food as I rushed to pick it up. at first examination, it looked ok. I got to the car and put the food down and really looked at it. There was a big dent above the silent switch and the bezel was coming off on the opposite side. After I finished screaming. I called the wife and dropped off the food and went straight back to Apple.
Got back to Apple and talked to the same guy and after looking at it and taking it to the back, explained that it was not covered. If I wanted to replace it again, it would cost $249.00. I wasn't even gone an hour.
Luckily, the bezel snapped back into place with almost no visible evidence that it was off in the first place. Almost.
Needless to say, I am hoping that this one has major issues soon.

soo pissed right now....

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
Well, I went to the iPhone store today for some battery issues and they offered to replace the phone without a hitch. Sweet, right?
Well on my way home, I swing by Wendy's to pick up dinner for me and the wife, and as I was leaving, it got hooked in the door handle (let me say that the phone was in my VAJA case on my hip). The door handle pulled the phone OUT of my case and I watched it slide out in front of me...face down.
I about dropped my food as I rushed to pick it up. at first examination, it looked ok. I got to the car and put the food down and really looked at it. There was a big dent above the silent switch and the bezel was coming off on the opposite side. After I finished screaming. I called the wife and dropped off the food and went straight back to Apple.
Got back to Apple and talked to the same guy and after looking at it and taking it to the back, explained that it was not covered. If I wanted to replace it again, it would cost $249.00. I wasn't even gone an hour.
Luckily, the bezel snapped back into place with almost no visible evidence that it was off in the first place. Almost.

soo pissed right now....
OMG, so sorry, that would make me physically ill...:eek:

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I'm telling you people. If you want to cover physical demage get a PAP from Statefarm or someone similar. I'm just waiting for my iPhone to become in operable and such before I make my claim and then I get my brand new iPhone for no charge at all.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
I'm telling you people. If you want to cover physical demage get a PAP from Statefarm or someone similar. I'm just waiting for my iPhone to become in operable and such before I make my claim and then I get my brand new iPhone for no charge at all.
yes, definitely the way to go from what I've heard but some places it's unavailable..

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca

soo pissed right now....
sounds like a f-ed up night, sorry to hear that..i don't know what i would do if i dropped mine, that is why im paranoid and keep mine in a iskin

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
sounds like a f-ed up night, sorry to hear that..i don't know what i would do if i dropped mine, that is why im paranoid and keep mine in a iskin
Yeah, no doubt. I actually think I came up with a solution. I was going to buy the OEM backplate and get my info laser engraved on it to look just like the stock one. The backplate is the only part of the phone that got messed up, and it's $35 or so for the backplate, and I got a quote for $3.00 for the engraving, so I think I am good to go. I'm going to wait and see how well this phone performs before I do anything ( in case I have to return it...again), but that is a route that I am looking at.