Top speaker not working. (Main Speaker)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wjp09, Oct 28, 2007.

1. wjp09

wjp09 Zealot
    Gold

The speaker above my screen no longer works. I cant hear anything and no one can hear me when I have that means selected. However if it is on Speaker phone or if I have my headset in then I can hear who I am calling and they can hear me.

Any Ideas? I was gonna restore but I don't want to update. Maybe If I clear the newest update from my Apple folder and disconnect from the internet while I restore? That way it wont check for an update.

2. Indy

Indy Zealot
    Gold

How unfortunate, hope you find a solution bro, is this the first time you've had a prob out of your phone?

3. iCop

iCop New Member
    Bronze

Same thing happened to me. I took it back to Apple and they gave me a new one (now my 5th iPhone)

4. wjp09

wjp09 Zealot
    Gold

I would take it to Apple but I have third party programs. I would need to remove them first. The problem with that is the fact that I deleted 2 icons from my main screen in order to have it symetrical when i added 2 new ones. If I restore it will prompt me to upgrade to a new fw.

What do you guys think of the no internet idea? Also would upgrading a pre jail broken iPhone cause it to brick?

5. EJW2202

EJW2202 New Member
    Bronze

The same thing happened to me the other day. All I did was plug and unplug the headset into the top a couple of times and it started working again. Try that and if it does not work then make sure your IEMI number matches the one on the back of your phone before you update it.

6. 76bronco

76bronco New Member

I had the same problem this weekend...did the above and plugged and unplugged the headphones...fixed the problem.

7. plasmo

plasmo New Member
    Bronze

You are describing exactly what happened with my Treo 700w...
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=111062
    this was a known issue for the Treo...

the iPhone probably thinks that there is a headphone inside the jack, and is stuck in headphone mode...try putting in-and-out the headphones like the above posters mentioned...and it should get fixed.

8. Indy

Indy Zealot
    Gold

Wow! That's just unreal! At least you havn't given up!....;)

9. monkeysrock0622

Gold

omg! Thats crazy. I got my iPhone on iday and im still on my first iPhone. Although its possible that i might have to trade it in for a new one within the next month because of a problem ive had with my earphones. Im on my 3rd set and they said it might just be my phone. But thisade me happy because i currently own a 4gb so id probably get a 8 gb for free =]

10. SweepeR

SweepeR Member
    Bronze

hold on, isn't the speaker on teh bottom? when i play a movie or put my phone on speaker during a call, i flip teh phone upside down because all the noise comes from the bottom ttwo speakers where 1 is a speaker n 1 is somethign else i believe. i never saw a speaker on the top of our phones...can someone fill me in please? because i found it odd how the speaker isn't loud and how i always have to turn it upside down because the speaker is on the bottom of the phone.

11. OJsakila

OJsakila New Member

he's talking about the actual ear hole that you use while talking on the phone... He is being forced to use his headphones or put the speakerphone on to talk...

12. aggieman

aggieman Zealot
    Gold

this has happened to me a few times as well. plug the earphones back in, move it around a little bit and then remove them. Like another poster said, Its somehow being tricked into thinking the earbuds are still connected when they are not. scared the sh!t out of me when it happened the first time, but it's usually fixable within seconds. after you remove the earbuds you should be able to hear callers and they hear you just fine.

13. wjp09

wjp09 Zealot
    Gold

yeah everything is working now. It just resolved itself. I figured it was something like that. Thanks for the help everyone.

14. plasmo

plasmo New Member
    Bronze

Wow. My iPhone just lost sound also... what a coincidence.