Toshiba TG01---A big beauty, great competition

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
It's neat, but the phone is too oversized for my taste. I would rather it be a little smaller, even if it required being a tad thicker.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
That white one looks huge. Wow, women are right. Black really does make you look slimmer.

:)

Certainly raises the hardware bar again.

I just love how much effort is being put into phones now. Sooner or later, someone's going to actually make one that has everything everyone wants... instead of always leaving something out.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
That white one looks huge. Wow, women are right. Black really does make you look slimmer.

Certainly raises the hardware bar again.

I just love how much effort is being put into phones now. Sooner or later, someone's going to actually make one that has everything everyone wants... instead of always leaving something out.
Nah, then people wouldn't be able to complain. And let's face it, people LOVE to complain. Or else, they'd find something else they "wanted" that was left out and ***** about that.

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
Nah, then people wouldn't be able to complain. And let's face it, people LOVE to complain. Or else, they'd find something else they "wanted" that was left out and ***** about that.

You're right on. They would complain about not having anything to complain about.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
I like the form factor, but not the UI. I've seen some videos of the UI and it is just WM61 repackaged.
Of course, they say it's WM 6.1 in the articles and videos he linked. Wonder how much RAM it's got for that 1Ghz processor?

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
<shrug> I have no problem using any phone's UI. Doesn't matter if it's all pretty icons, or all key based. Maybe it's a generational thing.

Using WM is akin to using a stickshift. Some prefer automatics, ome simply can't do it.

You can put a very nice UI shell over most of WM anyway. It's only if you wanted to dig down to a control panel thingie, that you'd see the older stuff... and it's not that bad.

It is a little humorous to see people talk about having to click little boxes (I just use the d-pad myself ... duh) on some WM screens, yet we all spend hours clicking itty bitty links in mobile Safari. (At least I do. Quite often it's too much trouble to zoom in.)

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
It is a little humorous to see people talk about having to click little boxes (I just use the d-pad myself ... duh) on some WM screens, yet we all spend hours clicking itty bitty links in mobile Safari. (At least I do. Quite often it's too much trouble to zoom in.)
Point taken, but if you find "pinching in" to be "too much trouble" then you are way busier than I am! :p

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
I'm also often using just one hand. I find with two hands being held up, especially when laying back in bed, one set of fingers will go numb.

I've been programming for touchscreens for fifteen years, and frankly I'm tired of fingertip-scrolling hundreds of lines!

Man, I'd kill for an easy way to scroll up and down (especially to the bottom) on mobile Safari. Reading the lastest posts on forums can be a huge pain.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Well, I don't zoom in unless I have to, and I usually don't because the screen is so sensitive and my fingers are thin and bony. But when I do have to double-tap or do the pinch zoom, I hardly consider it taxing :)

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
Understood.

And coming full circle, that's why I don't see why it's a big deal to use WM or other key or small target oriented UIs. Annoying at times, maybe. (Sometimes, easier.)

But a big deal? No, not to the extent that some people take it, groaning in posts as if their life is over if they have to do anything other than click big pretty icons.

MrEous

Silver
Dec 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
I don't know...it doesn't look too much bigger than the iPhone.

I'm not too hot on WinMO...I was on a TILT/Kaiser before my iPhone and the lag was horrendous. Now, I'm sure the TG01's 1GHz processor helps alleviate the problem but I'm still sour on WinMO for now.