total phone restore

pemarsh

Bronze
Jun 5, 2007
Question...I would like to do a total full blown restore on my iPhone...i would like to do this to see if my push mail would function afterwards.

1. How do i do this?
2. Will i lose data in terms of calendar, contacts, etc? If yes, will it be totaly restored once i sync again?
3. What about my apps i downloaded? Will they be back on my iPhone once i re sync it after the resore?
Is there anything that I will not get back by syncing after the restore?

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
I had to do a full phone restore. You have options. You can restore it to a backed up version of your phone OR you can restore to a brand new phone.

I restored it as a brand new phone. I had lost my connection to AT&T and this was the only way to get it back.

Once i sync'd up the phone, all my contacts went back and my calendars. I did however have to put all my playlists back on and my ringtones, but that's because i manually manage my music. I have 10,000 songs in iTunes so my phone can't hold all of that.

I also had to redo some settings like setting up custom ringtones for people, etc. But overall, I had everything that took a while.

pemarsh

Bronze
Jun 5, 2007
so correct me if i am wrong...you lose nothing doing a full blown restore?

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
so correct me if i am wrong...you lose nothing doing a full blown restore?
Well everything you have on your phone should be on your computer. So when i resync the phone it will go back.

The only thing i had to add back were my playlists and customized ringtones. I may have had to download my apps again....i don't really remember.

marcmeyer

Aug 9, 2008
full restore after pwnage

how does one do a full restore to the pre-pwned firmware?

Krunk83

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2008
how does one do a full restore to the pre-pwned firmware?
Instead of restoring from your old phone, what ever it was called, just restore as a new phone. You should still have your contacts. You could also just delete your old back ups and when you restore iTunes will automatically make a new one.

marcmeyer

Aug 9, 2008
thanks all

great help. What worked was to restore as a new iPhone. It did not throw away my contacts and other settings. I had to reload music and pics from iPhoto but not those from the camera roll. I was also able to find and donload the older firmware and go back and restore to that also as a new iPhone.

Hope this helps you folks out there with similar issues.
Original symptoms were that once pwned and restored from backup the phone appeared in iTunes without details of what was on it no triangle or ability to set sync and other settings. And stuck on the set up your iPhone page.

The combination of DFU mode and old versions of the firmware ought to be enough to unbrick a bricked phone.