Touch ID not working after scratched home button

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by liberated, Oct 19, 2013.

1. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

This video showed the touch ID rendered unusable after the home button was scratched. The sapphire crystal is strong but just be careful with your home button folks

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

That's right! Remember, folks - avoid operating your home button with knives, screwdrivers, and other assorted tools.

Sorry, I just can't take this seriously.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Really?! Hahahaha have you ever seen the inside of some people's purses and pockets? :D

4. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

I was thinking of the same thing, keys, etc... In a purse or pocket. Didn't look like much force was used at all on the knife blade test. Some keys are sharp little buggers.

5. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

You are right, if there is a way to scratch it, people will scratch it!

6. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

WHAT!?!?! Now he's ruined his Touch ID for a video. I should tune in to see if he takes it to the Apple Store and gets a replacement.

I wondered if a scratch would ruin the Touch ID, now I know it can.

Since I got the iPhone 5s I wanted to put a protector on the screen and home button. SGP has a plain clear home button protector with their full body armor. I used it before. I might have to get it again just to see if this would get in the way of the Touch ID working.

Thanks for sharing the video. Now we all know to be careful.

7. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

You're welcome :) the sensor works over a ziplock bag for me so a clear shield protector should work as well.

8. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Thank you! This is GREAT NEWS! I'm ordering this protector right now.

9. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Putting your iPhone in a pocket full of metallic objects shows a lack of common sense.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Welcome to 99% of all of us :D

11. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

I agree, but people do this anyway. I've seen people with naked iPhones throw them in their purse. I've seen ladies dig and dig for their ringing iPhones and I can hear the clanging and scraping of items on what I hoped was not the iPhone and then, "Oh here it is! Hello..." WHY!?!?

I don't do this. Never have, never will, but in saying that, my iPhone 3Gs back in the day got scratched because of the zipper on my Goose Jacket. That really pissed me off too because I was and always am careful with my iPhones. So that scratch, which was on my home button, caused me to make a home button cover myself out of a screen protector. Then finally they started offering them and I always bought and used them along with my screen protector and body armor.

Now with this iPhone 5s I wasn't sure if a clear plain home button protector would get in the way of the Touch ID. Now since @liberated has told me it works, I'm all in.

12. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

This is a horrible video.

1. He only shows it working once, and after he scratches it with the knife, he could easily be purposefully fudging the scan
    2. His reactions are way over-the-top (WOW ARE YOU KIDDING ME THAT'S REALLY WEIRD IT WAS LITERALLY JUST WORKING BEFORE I SCRATCHED IT WITH A FREAKING KNIFE)
    3. He never shows close-up pics of how much the button was *actually* scratched after each step
    4. I knew for sure it was all for show when he said, "If it doesn't work already, LET'S KEEP DOING IT!" As if his point wasn't already made. I'm surprised he didn't go full Marcellus with a pair of pliers and a blow torch.

The regular front glass is amazingly resistant to scratches, and the sapphire crystal will be even moreso. I really wouldn't freak out due to one youtube view whore. That being said, by all means, protect your phone.

#12 acosmichippo, Oct 19, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Ok then go and test it on your phone and report back, in the mean time I'll be protecting mine, better be safe than sorry :D

14. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

@acosmichippo

That is an interesting breakdown of the video. Some of these things I noticed as well.

I still think, regardless of the video, that scratches could happen. I just want to keep my iPhone 5s looking pretty for as long as I can. Resale value is important.

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Sharp-looking NAIL. :rolleyes:

16. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

yeah, i didn't even bother with that one.

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Agreed. It was the worst iPhone destruction video I've ever seen. He really should have started it with one small scratch and gradually worked up to as much as it took to make it stop working. The "wait, are you kidding me?!" reactions were too dramatic and scratching it more after it stopped working was pointless. Hard to say if it's real or not, but it's was poorly done either way.

18. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Which, sadly, encompasses quite a large number of people :(

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

20. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Those are some nasty looking electronics, yuck! In my case a phone must be strong enough to last roughly a year (Apple's iPhone update schedule) :)