Touch ID not working when charging?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

tortex73

Contributor
Bronze
Sep 30, 2014
Touch ID doesn't work properly when my 6 is plugged in- sometimes it takes a very long time to register (5+ seconds), other times it just refuses to work at all. The moment I unplug it, everything goes back to normal. Anyone else have this issue?

tortex73

Contributor
Bronze
Sep 30, 2014
It's an Apple cable and Apple charger. Tried a couple other cables and chargers, same issue.

tortex73

Contributor
Bronze
Sep 30, 2014
Have you tried any steps such as turning the phone off and back on?
Yup. It's not really that big of a deal, I was just curious if it's a problem with my device or if it's a common thing. I haven't tried plugging it in elsewhere, maybe I have a bad ground or something. That'll be the next step I take.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL

tortex73

Contributor
Bronze
Sep 30, 2014

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yup. It's not really that big of a deal, I was just curious if it's a problem with my device or if it's a common thing. I haven't tried plugging it in elsewhere, maybe I have a bad ground or something. That'll be the next step I take.
That's worth a shot. If it doesn't work, try deleting the prints and rescanning them.

Mine always works fine when charging. I charge it with a portable charger during usage every day.

talon90

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 17, 2009
For what it is worth it does work fine on my 6 Plus as it did on my 5s previously. I often have my phone on my desk and plugged in and I have often woke it up using the home button and the fingerprint scan.

tortex73

Contributor
Bronze
Sep 30, 2014
That's worth a shot. If it doesn't work, try deleting the prints and rescanning them.

Mine always works fine when charging. I charge it with a portable charger during usage every day.
I've tried that. I can't even add a fingerprint when it's plugged in. It won't register at all.

How do you wake the device when plugged in? Sleep/power button or home button?
Both.

ednygma

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 9, 2009
Louisville, KY
Touch ID doesn't work properly when my 6 is plugged in- sometimes it takes a very long time to register (5+ seconds), other times it just refuses to work at all. The moment I unplug it, everything goes back to normal. Anyone else have this issue?
I don't have any issues with mine. May need to have it checked out. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using iCafe Forums

tortex73

Contributor
Bronze
Sep 30, 2014
No, I meant delete the fingerprint when it's not plugged in and add new ones when it's not plugged in.
I've done that, no difference. The sensor doesn't work when it's plugged in so I can delete and redo it as many times as I want and it doesn't make a difference.

Making some headway though-

I just tried it while charging with a backup battery and it works perfectly. It also works perfectly when charging from my MacBook Pro's USB port as long as my MBP isn't plugged in to the wall. The moment I plug it in, Touch ID stops working. So at least I know now it isn't the phone and has something to do with the outlets in my house that I'm using to charge my phone. It's gotta be a bad ground.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I've done that, no difference. The sensor doesn't work when it's plugged in so I can delete and redo it as many times as I want and it doesn't make a difference.

Making some headway though-

I just tried it while charging with a backup battery and it works perfectly. It also works perfectly when charging from my MacBook Pro's USB port as long as my MBP isn't plugged in to the wall. The moment I plug it in, Touch ID stops working. So at least I know now it isn't the phone and has something to do with the outlets in my house that I'm using to charge my phone. It's gotta be a bad ground.
I've tested it with multiple power sources and it always works. I've used various portable charges, an Apple 10 volt for iPad, an Apple 5 watt for iPhone and third party 5 watt power supply. What type of power supply and cable are you using when it doesn't work? Have you tested it in different outlets in your house?

tortex73

Contributor
Bronze
Sep 30, 2014
I've tested it with multiple power sources and it always works. I've used various portable charges, an Apple 10 volt for iPad, an Apple 5 watt for iPhone and third party 5 watt power supply. What type of power supply and cable are you using when it doesn't work? Have you tested it in different outlets in your house?
I've tried it with the adapter that came with the phone, the 10w for the iPad, and a few other adapters that came with other devices. I have tried a few outlets all with the same result. I'll test it at work tomorrow. I am confident it isn't a problem with the phone.

billnye97

Contributor
Silver
Jun 21, 2007
Cleveland
My 5S had a bad power base. If it was plugged in the Touch ID wouldn't work and the screen would become unresponsive. If I plugged it into my computer it was fine. I would suggest a different power base.

Sent using an iPhone 6 Plus 128GB on AT&T.

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
I came across this thread when I discovered this morning that I am having the same issue. I recently bought an iPhone 6 at my local AT&T store and also bought a couple extra chargers that are branded AT&T, are 10 watt but not approved by apple. After assurances the chargers would perform as well as the Apple cubes I reluctantly accepted them. After getting them home they worked fine with no apparent issues, charging the phone as quickly as my iPad charger has done in the past. However, when trying to use the phone this morning, while it was still charging, I found that the Touch ID was not working at all. Plugging the cord into my PC's USB port or charging with the Apple cube that came with the phone everything worked without a problem. So, I began experimenting and found that with the phone connected to the AT&T branded charger but not plugged into an outlet the Touch ID sensor worked as expected. I then plugged the charger into several other outlets in various parts of my house and the problem was still present with all of them. This made me think that maybe my incoming power line was noisy with harmonics, spikes and various other types of digital noise so I plugged the charger into my computer system's UPS on the battery backup side and the problem went away. I'm guessing that because the UPS is also acting as a power line conditioner that the problem chargers cannot filter the incoming power as well as the Apple charging cubes do. Food for thought.