Touch ID on iPhone 6 with the OtterBox Defender

Discussion in 'iPhone Cases and Accessories' started by radtechy, Oct 8, 2014.

1. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

Anyone find it a pain to program and use it accurately with the case on?

I tried it with the case off it will program easy but then with the case on its even more inna

2. kerriberri

kerriberri Contributor
    Bronze

My husband stopped using his Touch ID with his Otterbox Defender for this reason...it just doesn't want to recognize his print. I think you can probably remove that film over the scanner but then you risk getting dust and debris under there.

3. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I was worried about this although I'm not going to use otterbox anyways as I'm tired of the bulkiness.

4. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

I would go with a commuter or a speck candy shell until lifeproof comes out but we work in hospitals and we wipe our phones down daily before we go home.

I'm worried about the area with the Touch ID cause that's a physical press able button also and there is seam around it and worried if I were to use a alcohol pad there if it would get wet. Any thoughts on that? The commuter uses a scornful and is flat for the touch I'D.

But on the flip side does the touch I'D used allot of battery? I'm an hour 13 min use and 6 hours standby with no phone calls with 92% I guess that's ok

5. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I don't see how it would cause a significant battery drain. I use it daily and my battery is awesome.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

1. Don't use alcohol on the screen or the Touch ID. A microfiber cloth that is slightly dampened with water is fine.
    2. No. It's the same as sliding to unlock.

7. kerriberri

kerriberri Contributor
    Bronze

If you have to wipe your phone down with alcohol at the end of each shift then I would definitely keep the defender on it since it covers the screen completely as you should not put alcohol on the screen as Europa said.

I haven't noticed any change in battery life from using Touch ID, it's awesome either way!

Sent using iCafe app

8. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

Thanks for the feedback. I'm thinking about getting a new case and I would put a screen protector on so as a follow up question.

If I use a screen protector then would using an alcohol prep pad be ok?

9. kerriberri

kerriberri Contributor
    Bronze

That should be fine, as long as the alcohol isn't touching the screen itself.

Sent using iCafe app

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Why would you use a case that inhibits one of the best features of the iPhone 6? That would definitely be a deal breaker for me. Touch ID on the 6 works amazingly well. I can't imagine going back to a passcode.

11. kerriberri

kerriberri Contributor
    Bronze

Normally it would have been a deal breaker but my husband is a machinist and comes home covered in dirt, oil and metal shavings so the protection of his phone is more important that the Touch ID feature to him. This is the first time I'm experiencing Touch ID I would never let my case hinder my use of it...I never used the passcode for my 5 because I didn't want the hassle but Touch ID makes it effortless :)

Sent using iCafe app

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Good point.

13. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

The new defenders have the Saran Wrap plastic over the Touch ID like the 2nd generation life proof 5s. But the shape of the plastic shell to the right and left of the Touch ID gives a problem getting a consistent read on the fingerprint

#13 radtechy, Oct 11, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  14. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I finally ended up removing the thin membrane over the home button and that cured all the fingerprint ID issues.

15. TheGreatest145

TheGreatest145 New Member

Would it be possible if I could like pop that plastic piece off of the case that covers the home button?

16. TheGreatest145

TheGreatest145 New Member

How did you remove it?

17. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I removed the phone from the case and very carefully used an X-Acto knife and cut across the center of the membrane then lifted it off slowly peeling each half away from the adhesive so it wouldn't break. The phone has worked fine ever since. I do take it out of the case once a month or as needed to clean both the phone and the Otterbox and then put it all back together.