Touch ID requires your password after 48 hours… bug makes it happen sooner?

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
For the first time time ever, I was presented with this screen earlier today:

IMG_0279.PNG

I had never encountered this screen… on this or on any previous iPhone. "After 48 hours of what?" is a logical question.

I found some insight on Apple's "About Touch ID security" page, which states:

Screen Shot 2015-11-02 at 10.04.25 AM.png

However, more than 48 hours had not elapsed since the previous time I had unlocked my device. I unlocked and used my device plenty late last night.

Is this a bug, or did I unwittingly pass through some kind of time warp?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
For the first time time ever, I was presented with this screen earlier today:

View attachment 43463

I had never encountered this screen… on this or on any previous iPhone. "After 48 hours of what?" is a logical question.

I found some insight on Apple's "About Touch ID security" page, which states:

View attachment 43464

However, more than 48 hours had not elapsed since the previous time I had unlocked my device. I unlocked and used my device plenty late last night.

Is this a bug, or did I unwittingly pass through some kind of time warp?
Bug. The same thing happened to me late last night. It was the first time I had ever had that happen. I was using the phone when I was suddenly taken to the 48-hours-of-inactivity lock screen. *Sigh* Also, yesterday afternoon I was using Safari and the phone spontaneously rebooted.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I didn't even know about the existence of this "48-hours-of-inactivity" clause on the Touch ID vs. Passcode "rules" until now, hence my confusion when I first saw it.

If I haven't used my iPhone in 48 hours, then something is seriously wrong. Siri might as well put up a missing person's report on my behalf. :D

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I think I know what might have happened to those of us experiencing this bug for the first time last night/this morning. Daylight Saving Time ended today, hence the incorrectly calculated idle time. (DST-related issues are not new to iOS.)

In any case, the end of DST may explain why Europa and I just saw it for the first time last night/this morning, but it doesn't explain numerous complaints I'm seeing of the same thing happening prior to today. Searching around, I found it mentioned on at least two other popular tech forums and on Reddit.

It looks like Europa and I were lucky and we got the less serious form of the bug; some of these folks state that after correctly entering the passcode, their device freezes or otherwise malfunctions.

Here's the first post of a thread started on October 17th:

48hours.png

And here's one of the replies, posted today:

48hours-reply.png

JeSSie

Oct 24, 2015
While I was reading this, my 6S Plus suddenly went to the password screen then spontaneously rebooted! First time since I got it last Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone 6S Plus