Touch ID requires your password after 48 hours… bug makes it happen sooner?

Discussion in 'iPhone 6S' started by Rafagon, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

For the first time time ever, I was presented with this screen earlier today:

IMG_0279.PNG

I had never encountered this screen… on this or on any previous iPhone. "After 48 hours of what?" is a logical question.

I found some insight on Apple's "About Touch ID security" page, which states:

Screen Shot 2015-11-02 at 10.04.25 AM.png

However, more than 48 hours had not elapsed since the previous time I had unlocked my device. I unlocked and used my device plenty late last night.

Is this a bug, or did I unwittingly pass through some kind of time warp?

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Bug. The same thing happened to me late last night. It was the first time I had ever had that happen. I was using the phone when I was suddenly taken to the 48-hours-of-inactivity lock screen. *Sigh* Also, yesterday afternoon I was using Safari and the phone spontaneously rebooted.

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I didn't even know about the existence of this "48-hours-of-inactivity" clause on the Touch ID vs. Passcode "rules" until now, hence my confusion when I first saw it.

If I haven't used my iPhone in 48 hours, then something is seriously wrong. Siri might as well put up a missing person's report on my behalf. :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I think I know what might have happened to those of us experiencing this bug for the first time last night/this morning. Daylight Saving Time ended today, hence the incorrectly calculated idle time. (DST-related issues are not new to iOS.)

In any case, the end of DST may explain why Europa and I just saw it for the first time last night/this morning, but it doesn't explain numerous complaints I'm seeing of the same thing happening prior to today. Searching around, I found it mentioned on at least two other popular tech forums and on Reddit.

It looks like Europa and I were lucky and we got the less serious form of the bug; some of these folks state that after correctly entering the passcode, their device freezes or otherwise malfunctions.

Here's the first post of a thread started on October 17th:

48hours.png

And here's one of the replies, posted today:

48hours-reply.png

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. JeSSie

JeSSie New Member

While I was reading this, my 6S Plus suddenly went to the password screen then spontaneously rebooted! First time since I got it last Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone 6S Plus

6. showguy

showguy Member
    Silver

Me too, first time last night. On my iPhone 6s Plus and this morning on my iPad Air 2