Touch screen not working

saplingg

Oct 22, 2007
I dropped my phone last night and now the touch screen doesn't work anymore. I can't 'slide to unlock' or key in my passcode even. the only thing i can do is 'slide to power off'.

any solutions would be very appreciated

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Take it back to Apple for a replacement, I'm afraid the screen is shot. I've seen it happen.

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
yes. If this was caused from the drop there's not allot you can do unfortunately. Sofware we are good at. Hardware, well that's a whole diff ballpark. Sorry to hear about it. Good luck!

saplingg

Oct 22, 2007
frack. the thing is, I'm in singapore where the iPhone is not actually legal to be sold here so I had to get it cracked. Does that mean I'm screwed? Because Apple probably won't have replacements in store.

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
So u r jailbroke? If so there is a number of lil things u can try but like I said erlyer if its actually damaged hardware I don't think there's much u can do.

saplingg

Oct 22, 2007
Yup jailbroke

I'd definitely like to try a few software solutions before I give up on my phone (I love it), what do u have in mind?

I shoulda bought a case!

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
LOL well the case thing is a little hindsight but oh well.
Try pluging it into a wall outlet and powering the thing on and off then try the comp.
have u tried puting the phone into dfu mode?

Hold both home and power till phone shuts off then release power and while still holding home plug into comp. Continue to hold home till plug into iTunes image appears and release. Then the iTunes should recognize it and it should start to basically reboot.

saplingg

Oct 22, 2007
If I do that reboot will I lose everything? iTunes can actually detect my phone at the moment.

I will try the wall outlet right now

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
LOL well the case thing is a little hindsight but oh well.
Try pluging it into a wall outlet and powering the thing on and off then try the comp.
have u tried puting the phone into dfu mode?

Hold both home and power till phone shuts off then release power and while still holding home plug into comp. Continue to hold home till plug into iTunes image appears and release. Then the iTunes should recognize it and it should start to basically reboot.

saplingg

Oct 22, 2007
OK well i called Apple support and they basically said that i wouldn't be able to repair it as firstly, there is no support for the iPhone in my country, and even if i were to ship it to the states to get it repaired there, Apple will not accept jailbroken phones for repair.

How true is the second statement? does anyone know if Apple will repair my phone? Is there any way to mask the fact that it's been jailbroken?

MundoGrande

Bronze
Jan 26, 2008
OK well i called Apple support and they basically said that i wouldn't be able to repair it as firstly, there is no support for the iPhone in my country, and even if i were to ship it to the states to get it repaired there, Apple will not accept jailbroken phones for repair.

How true is the second statement? does anyone know if Apple will repair my phone? Is there any way to mask the fact that it's been jailbroken?
Yeah, restore. You can always rejailbreak, since it's such an easy process nowadays.

xcissexc

Aug 9, 2007
when you restore set it up as a new phone that way there is no reminiscence of it having been jailbroken at all.

pentesh

Dec 24, 2009
I recently dropped my iPhone (one of many times) and since then the bottom row of widgets (not the phone, mail, safari, ipod row) are unresponsive as well as that same area of the dialler. Everywhere has been working as I have had no prob sending SMS or entering PIN and Passcodes.

Without looking into the problem myself (foolishly) I took the advise of a friend to restore the iPhone. No problems there, until the phone loads up for the first time (with no applications such as VNC etc) and there is a message above screen icons etc and an option to "Dismiss" which I cannot press! This has rendered the whole phone useless :(

I have looked into getting it repaired but it is pricey and I may have done more damage. Also as the phone works (and the small areas that don't work can easily be worked around) it would do me until I get an upgrade from my network in a couple of months.

So my question is this: Is there any way to bypass this message for perhaps load up a somewhat custom build of the phone that would not need to show this message... Its a long shot but very disappointing not to be able to use the phone over something so simple.

pentesh

Dec 24, 2009
Thanks for the suggestion... I already have and the message still appears.