Touch Screen Problems? Is my screen defective?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by amamalis, Jun 30, 2007.

1. amamalis

amamalis New Member

So I am in love with my new iPhone, but I have been having problems already! My touch screen is not responding all the time. First happened when I activated the phone around 11am today. I went to maps and then my touchscreen just stopped working. I restored my iPhone and it started working again, I figured, great just a glitch in my software.. figured it was fixed, right?

Wrong. It just stopped responding again. Now am I totally missing something? I hit the wake button and try to slide it over to unlock but nothing happens :mad:

Should I just return it and get a new phone? or is something else the problem? This is frustrating.. I am restoring my iPhone again right now.

So I was wondering if anyone could tell me if I may have a defective iPhone... or maybe someone else has had similar problems?

Is it possible its cause by a video or song loaded onto my ipod?

... update- while restoring my iPhone agian it said "Your iPhone contains Diagnostic information that could help Apple improve his...blah blah blah"

Is this a generic message or is my phone just screwed up?

Any help or comments would be appreciated :)

2. WTEngel

WTEngel New Member
    Bronze

Make sure you are using the pad of your finger, NOT your finger nail, or even the extreme side of your fingers. I was having a similar problem (not as bad) and began using the pad of my finger and now my screen works beautifully... If that doesn't work I would take it in, sounds like it might be a problem with your screen.

3. AngelJO008

AngelJO008 New Member
    Bronze

ditto on that ^^^. if you use your nail it won't respond.

4. amamalis

amamalis New Member

not using my finger nail. I am sure of it. I've used it quite a bit with no problems. Problems just randomly started up. Must be my screen :(

5. lasquintanas

lasquintanas Member
    Bronze

My phone was doing the same thing today. I had to hard reset it this morning after it froze. I haven't had to do it again since, but sometimes when i press an icon it won't respond until the 5th try.

6. iMarc

iMarc New Member

Touch screen stopped responding

My touch screen has stopped responding as well. No matter which finger I use, speed, approach or pressure. Restored it twice and I've tried hard resets over and over. Nothing fixes it. 3000 miles from home in a city without an Apple store or a cell phone. This sucks.

7. teakan

teakan New Member

Touch screen stopped responding

When someone calls, the phone rings and vibrates, but the slider doesn't move at all when I try to answer the call. Not using my fingernail or anything else, using the usual finger slide that I've used since I got it in June.

After a few minutes, it starts responding, and then goes back to not respond again.

Another thread said that this was a "corrupt contacts" issue. So I'm going to try to do a hard reset and see if that fixes it.

Majorly bummed out.:oops:

8. HarleyS

HarleyS New Member
    Bronze

I have an issue with the touch screen from time to time. There are usually other little problems that I will have at that time as well. I will go to slide the lock and it will be really delayed. I will slide it and then about 2 seconds later it will go. THen the buttoms will be a bit delayed and I will start getting kicked out of applications here and there. I have fixed it everytime by just powering it down and then back up. It is usually fine then for about 2 or 3 days. i have been hearing that you should power it down every other day or so to keep it from doing that.

9. mlass

mlass Member
    Silver

The phone is crashing. Safari seems to crash the most, but you will notice it with other programs (even the slider). The error message is letting you know that the phone has info on the crash (memory dump) and will upload it to Apple to investigate it. My phone did it the first couple of days. I'll believe it was due to my heavy use when I first got it. Haven't noticed any lately. Apple should be addressing this issue with the first update.

10. teakan

teakan New Member

Possible solution to the touch screen response lag problem

Mine does exactly the same thing. However I found a trick to force the screen to respond.

If someone calls you and the LCD slider won't respond, slide it anyway. Then press the "Home" button. You'll see the slider "jump" to the end and you can answer the phone!

If I turn the phone on using the "Power" button then the slider is non-responsive until I again press the "Home" button. If I turn the phone on using the "Home" button then the slider responds just fine.

Not sure if this is a problem related to the "7" version LCD models (that's what I have). Dial *3001#12345#* on your phone and select Versions to find out if you have the "7" or "5" LCD model.

11. linkerjpatrick

linkerjpatrick New Member
    Bronze

This is going to sound really weird but I'm left handed and usually use my left hand fingers on the iPhone and it works fine but the other day at a party I was holding a cold drink (coke in a plastic cup) in my left hand and was trying to show someone stuff on the iPhone with my right hand fingers and stuff was jumping all over the place and was not responding somethings. When I switched back to my left hand again it seemed to work fine again. I know it sounds crazy but it's true. I'm really not joking. It made me wonder if my right hand was not as real as my left hand or something.

12. jda182

jda182 New Member
    Bronze

make sure you try to keep your screen somewhat clean. i was using my phone a lot one day and built up a lot of finger prints and smudges on the screen and then i talked on the phone for a few minutes, i was outside and it was hot, so i had some sweat and stuff on the screen and the screen was really slow and unresponsive after that. i just wiped everything off with my shirt and it worked perfectly again.

13. CoOoOoL

CoOoOoL New Member
    Bronze

i have worse broblem that only one cm above home bottom is not working the rest are fine any helb

14. ihomer

ihomer New Member

I am on my third iPhone. My first phone's screen went dead on the top 1 quarter. My second phone's screen went dead on the bottom quarter. I took them to the Apple store and they replaced them on the spot. I love the phone but some phones do end up getting "dead spots".

Also I am very careful with my phones i don't drop them and i keep them in a case. So the screen problems were not from any kind of abuse.

15. KNK

KNK New Member

Try rebooting the iPhone off then on. If it still is that way then it needs replacing. I think you are in Finland if my memory is correct, so I don't know.

16. Moviebizman

Moviebizman New Member

I am having the EXACT same problem!

By chance is yours the 32 gig also? I bought my wife the 16 gig and hers is fine, while mine is always hanging up... All the sudden touch won't work exactly as you described!