Touch Wi-Fi connection drops out

ecdysiast

Jan 27, 2008
I can connect to my WEP-enabled local net just fine, but the connection drops out after a few minutes--which might also correspond to a few screens in Safari. I can reconnect by going to settings and choosing my network again and after a few minutes the same thing happens again.

I am not changing the position or orientation of my Touch during these periods, so don't think a varying Wi-Fi signal would be causing the dropout.

I have tried manually inputting DNS addresses of 4.2.2.1, 208.67.222.222, and leaving the DNS setting blank, but this does not change things.

Anybody know what this problem might be? I haven't seen it on this or any other BB.

(Firmware 1.1.3), no hacks.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
First question: Anything else on that WiFi network and is it experiencing any problems?

ecdysiast

Jan 27, 2008
drop-outs

There's a WRT54g wireless router with a T5 line to one computer; two other computers log on to this network wirelessly. No other computer has any problems and at the time of dropouts only the wired computer was in use, although the same thing happens when no other computer is in use.

I would think it a signal strength problem except that it occurs when the iPod isn't moved or tilted; the signal-strength bars will go from 3 to 1 and then zip. Occasionally it will automatically reconnect after about ten seconds.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
I had one of those and had lots of wifi problems as well. To be honest, I suggest trying another wireless unit.