TouchID rarely works

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by Geri, Feb 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geri

Geri New Member

My fingerprint only gets read properly the first hour or less after I set it and I have the latest OS. It's been this way forever. Does it require an iphone 6 for it to work? Sick of this buggy stuff.

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Have you tried redoing your fingerprints in settings?

3. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

Agreed, delete the current finger prints and redo them. Also make sure to keep placing your finger on the scanner during the setup process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Geri

Geri New Member

Yes, that is the whole point! I didn't realize I had to spell out the obvious!

I am sick of having to redo it every single day. It only works for about four or five times and then I have to reset it again. And again and again and again. Worthless.

5. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

First off, you're a new member and we start with the basics.

Secondly, you shouldn't have to redo it everyday. Hopefully someone can help you here but I haven't heard of continuous issues with touchID.

6. Geri

Geri New Member

That wasn't the point! Yes, obviously I have done that a hundred freaking times and I am tired of resetting the fingerprint daily. It is useless if I have to keep resetting it. My father also has this problem on his and it's the only reason he gave up trying to use Touch ID. I refuse to reset my freaking fingerprint twice a day. Waste of time.

I want one that works more than thirty minutes after I set the fingerprint.

7. Geri

Geri New Member

I was wondering if perhaps it only works well on the iphone 6?

8. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I would not know that. It works well on my iPhone 6+ but I don't have an iPhone 5S to know if it works on there or not. I haven't heard of any issues where you have to redo fingerprints often, although it is good to do it once every now and then if it doesn't recognize it quickly.

Make sure all of your thumb is on the home button. Lol.

9. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

You've been here awhile and "we" still have to spoon-feed you occasionally. Try to be a little less condescending to new folks. :)

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No. The results you are getting are very atypical. It works exceptionally well on the 5s, but for many people it has only worked this well since the 7.1.1 firmware update last April. Before that, lots of people had trouble with the prints degrading with time on the 5s. What firmware version are you running? If it is not 8.1.3, update to that.

If your firmware is already up to date, I recommed resetting all settings on your phone through the settings app. If that doesn't work, restore to factory settings in iTunes on a computer. You cannot reinstall the firmware on the phone itself. You have to use a computer.

11. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

With my iPhone 6 Plus, since I got it in Oct, I think only a handful of times the finger print scanner has failed. And, that was because I placed my thumb on it 'incorrectly'.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Same here. I've only had to redo my fingerprints once. Sometimes now though it fails, but of course that is user triggered due to not having your thumb on the home button fully/enough.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. Geri

Geri New Member

I am not a newbie and I had previously explained I have the latest OS, which is 8.1.3. Thank you for explaining how to install an OS but with all due respect I have been understanding how to do that since my first iphone several years ago. I have had a 3G, 3GS, 4S and 5S.

I am not going to restore the phone to factory settings repeatedly every day to get the freaking thing to work because I've already thought of that and it doesn't stop the problem.

14. Geri

Geri New Member

No it's not user-triggered in my case. I am very careful in how I set my finger on the button and I carefully chose how I put my finger on it when I scanned it initially too. It consistently works for four or five times after I set it and then consistently fails after a short time by later the same day or the next day.

15. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Did you try resetting settings in settings app and then redoing your fingerprints? As Europa said, touchid works very well.

16. Geri

Geri New Member

It's really nice that you took the initiative to answer me since it could have been that no one replied, but with all due respect, I posted the question in the iPhone 5S area for the purpose of learning others with the 5S having that problem or not. So I am surprised you came in and started answering a 5S question but then tell me you don't have one since you are talking to me like I am a newbie when I am not. I have had several of the phones since the 3G, (including 3GS, 4S and now 5S) and I am not a newbie; I have also been using a Mac since 1994 and PCs since the 1980s! I see all these answers written to me like I am supposed to explain every obvious thing in detail or else you assume I am an idiot.

Thanks for telling me the 6 seems to work since that is part of what I asked, although no one seems to think it works better. I remember a past OS upgrade when people started having more problems with touchID after the upgrade however.

Please stop explaining to me how to put my finger on the home button. If you don't know the answer, try to contain yourself from writing a childish and smug reply.

17. Geri

Geri New Member

I already SAID I DID in reply two to people. For god's sake is there a way for me to edit into the initial post the fact that I am forced to reset the finger print several times a week? I didn't think I had to explain every single obvious thing. I wish you people would stop talking to me like I am a newbie. I have more experience with iPhones than most of you.

18. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

Honestly, considering that the general public are merely trying to help, the aggressive tone is really not needed. Remember, this is 'free' support, being hostile and aggressive is not needed.

With that, I'm exiting, stage left...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. Geri

Geri New Member

I wish moneymaker would stop replying to my posts -- I've already answered you several times and you're not answering what I asked. Instead you are posting in a thread about the 5S without even owning a 5S.

20. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Please stop spamming for heavens sake. A non iPhone 5S owner can still answer questions about it.

I hope someone can successfully help you. Please be respectful to them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.