touchscreen not working HELP! about to cry

Nov 24, 2007
please help.... my touchscreen is busted..:mad: its kinda weird tho, nothing happen to it for it to stop working.. i was just walking around when it stopped working. i think it could be software... but anyways i can't slide to unlock or power off.. can't make phone calls nothing......... please help i'm about to cry.. all i can do is use the headset, answer calls & start music...:(... i think its software because i installed Compass app a couple hours before it stopped working (A compass which indicates the cardinal points under the sunlight) this app didn't work & i forgot to uninstall it & i think it uses the screen to indicates the cardinal points under the sun... any ideas ? think that could have busted it ? like i have no idea it was in my pocket the whole time while i walked around at work... i live in toronto,canada & its a 1.0.2 iPhone..i called Apple they said they can't fix it unless i live in the US.. so if the touchscreen really is screwed, i'm really really screwed.....

but it did show a sign of life... the last thing i could think of was run the battery tell it dyes & hopefully after it gets a proper power off it'd work...so i played music on it all day while i slept(work nites) when i woke up it worked again, YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! but it was almost dead so i thought i'd let it dye out as that was my plan.. so it dyed, i charged it, turned it back on and it doesn't work again...

Nov 24, 2007
http://www.iamas.ac.jp/~aka/iPhone/ looks like a really cool app... really suks i think it screwed my phone with it. i don't really want to restore, got a lot of import stuff on there hopefully it works again so i can uninstall it & that well be the end of it..

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
Did you try docking your phone and resetting it? If not try that. Sometimes that works. I know you said you didn't want to, but if it has to be done, it has to be done. When I have problems (seldom), I always try the soft resets first, and then if they don't work, I get down to businesss.

Nov 24, 2007
thing is i have no idea how to restore/unlock/ then jailbrake 1.0.2, i'd like to stay on 1.0.2, until SDK comes out atleast. what apps can't i use in later versions

Nov 24, 2007
u guys think its software or i'm i F%@*Ed, can't send it to Apple..what do i do? get charged out the ass on fixing it or just buy a new 16gig

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
I had that happen a few times after I upgraded to a jailbroken 1.1.3. I had to restart the phone several times to get it to work again. I, like you, had not just installed anything that could have caused the problem. Since I couldn't slide to shut down, I held both the wake and the home buttons until the Apple logo showed and then let them go and it rebooted. 2 reboots later and I was back in operation again. I hope that works for you.

Nov 24, 2007
I had that happen a few times after I upgraded to a jailbroken 1.1.3. I had to restart the phone several times to get it to work again. I, like you, had not just installed anything that could have caused the problem. Since I couldn't slide to shut down, I held both the wake and the home buttons until the Apple logo showed and then let them go and it rebooted. 2 reboots later and I was back in operation again. I hope that works for you.
tryed that

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I know you don't want to but I had similar problem before and the only thing that worked was a complete restore, it's better than I bricked phone.

Nov 24, 2007
I know you don't want to but I had similar problem before and the only thing that worked was a complete restore, it's better than I bricked phone.
sorry to say but its good to hear ppl have had the same problem & it was fixed with a restore & not a hardware problem... now i just need to find out how to restore/unlock/jailbreak 1.0.2..

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa
Yeah I know that much...but how? Does the firmware just know you've messed with tour phone and makes it inopperable? Is that even a word?

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
Yeah I know that much...but how? Does the firmware just know you've messed with tour phone and makes it inoperable? Is that even a word?
Yes, inoperable is a word. I'm not sure exactly what happens though.....That might be a question for Tinman....

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
.. or me.

a truly bricked iPhone, is an iPhone with serious issues, as in, if someone screws with the inside of it without knowing what they were doing, or if they run a script that basically kills some part of the iPhone not affected by ipsws, like the BootLoader, if one tries to, for example, downgrade the bootlpader and they fail, they will have a brick, because they will have an inoperable, irrepairable iPhone, basically, with about the same use as its red heavy building tool cousin - it will be pointless to own, and doubtfully, Apple will replace it.

basically - if you try to jailbreak or downgrade the baseband with BL 3.9 - very very VERY low chance of getting an actual brick. however, if you try to downgrade the BL from 4.6 to 3.9, either method - the HW or SW, and you fail, you will be done. nothing you can do.

geohotz tried to change a regular iPhone 4.6 BL to his version of it, made a typo in the code, and doesn't have a functioning iPhone anymore.

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa
Don't really get all that but I get the point. You really have to mess up to get it bricked.

Nov 24, 2007
sorry to say but its good to hear ppl have had the same problem & it was fixed with a restore & not a hardware problem... now i just need to find out how to restore/unlock/jailbreak 1.0.2..
k so i restored back to 1.0.2, virgined & upgrade to 1.1.1... restore to 1.1.3 /unlock/jailbreak and still nothing........ is there anything else i can do? how much do u think a replacement touchscreen would cost? anyone know anyone in toronto area that could fix it? ya heres something i found kinda weird this guy had the same problem as me on the same day & also is in canada and on the fido network... hmmm

http://www.ehmac.ca/ipod-itunes-iphone-apple-tv/61593-touchscreen-problem.html

Nov 24, 2007
anyone know any places in toroto to get it repaired ? this so suks theres not even 1 mark on my whole phone 100% mint, screens perfect.. but why doesn't it work..... FFF******************KKKKKKKKKK !

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Don't really get all that but I get the point. You really have to mess up to get it bricked.
Basically (not technically) I think people just use it as a term for broken phone. ;)

Nov 24, 2007
got my screen fixed here "http://www.techknowspace.com/iPhones.htm" for $220 if anyone else needs theres fixed in the toronto area. its right next to the sky dome..