Touchscreen Unresponsive

troutab81

Oct 25, 2008
Without going into the sordid details, I dropped my iPhone 2G Unlocked in a lake for approx 5 seconds. Took it out, but miles from any credible web resource, I left it on praying it would work. After two days without anything but letting it sit (in standby mind you), it accepted calls, text, except the touchscreen was completely unresponsive.

It has been almost a week. I have used rice in a sealed bag, putting it under a lamp with the casing off, by a dehumidifer, even an oven for a minute or two. I have recovered it back to original firmware, then reloaded new firmware.

Everything works EXCEPT any response from the touchscreen. I cannot see any "pink" on the water indicator, although it looks kind of dirty. It is 6 months old and has barely been opened to dry out.

My question is this: Does anybody think that after a week from 5 seconds in a lake, it has any chance of coming back to life if I power off and let it sit in rice/silica for a period of time? Will Apple go for a warranty exchange in any way shape or form?

I would really love to have it fixed... I'm dying here and trying every resource online I can find... but not much when you can't even get past unlocking the device to get to the homescreen...

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Well, I hope you're reading the water damage indicator correctly. Because if you aren't, you're kind of screwed. Well, think of it this way - my friend who had a 2G had his touchscreen go partially unresponsive and was out of his first year warranty (and didn't have AppleCare), had to spring $199 for a new 3G. I know we want to avoid that but at least that's the WORST case scenario.

rafayj

Oct 26, 2008
I think Apple might replace you with a new one for some extra money. I don't think it will work now though, these mobiles are water sensitive. Water destroys the screen of them.

Spikey911

Bronze
Oct 26, 2008
You need to open it up..Moisture is going to remain trapped in there.

Remove black antenna cover, then remove the back cover..

You can leave it like that to dry out, or you can remove the board and flush it with 90% or higher Isopropyl... Don't use rubbing alcohol because it contains water..

Even better is to remove the battery and drop the whole phone in a bowl full of Isopropyl and let it sit for a while.

After removing it, the alcohol will evaporate quickly and will drive all the moisture out of the phone.

Since it was submerged in water, you likely also have water behind the LCD, which will show up as bright spots on the display..

It will require much more work to fix that, and depending on the liquid, it may never clear up..

Unfortunately, the connector for the digitizer is directly underneath the headphone jack, which of course is one of the first areas water gets into, and thus shorts it out first before the phone shuts down..

Sometimes it damages the board beyond repair..Aka, no touchscreen.

If you do not see any red in the earphone hole, you can try to take it to an Apple store...They will replace touchscreen issues even if its out of warranty.. BUT they will not do so if you show red or have and damage to the phone..

rafayj

Oct 26, 2008
You need to open it up..Moisture is going to remain trapped in there.

Remove black antenna cover, then remove the back cover..

You can leave it like that to dry out, or you can remove the board and flush it with 90% or higher Isopropyl... Don't use rubbing alcohol because it contains water..

Even better is to remove the battery and drop the whole phone in a bowl full of Isopropyl and let it sit for a while.

After removing it, the alcohol will evaporate quickly and will drive all the moisture out of the phone.

Since it was submerged in water, you likely also have water behind the LCD, which will show up as bright spots on the display..

It will require much more work to fix that, and depending on the liquid, it may never clear up..

Unfortunately, the connector for the digitizer is directly underneath the headphone jack, which of course is one of the first areas water gets into, and thus shorts it out first before the phone shuts down..

Sometimes it damages the board beyond repair..Aka, no touchscreen.

If you do not see any red in the earphone hole, you can try to take it to an Apple store...They will replace touchscreen issues even if its out of warranty.. BUT they will not do so if you show red or have and damage to the phone..
I don't think warranty is on screen related problems. Only on battery + other failures.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Well as long as the phone hasn't been tampered with then the screen is certainly covered within the warranty. It covers hardware and software defects so the screen falls within.

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
Well as long as the phone hasn't been tampered with then the screen is certainly covered within the warranty. It covers hardware and software defects so the screen falls within.
I thought it was only software

gijohn

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
Have a friend that has an issue with his screen (not a 3G). Top two rows of icons unresponsive. Try to power off and can't use the slider. Just the top of the screen is unresponsive. Geez

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I hope Apple would replace it for you but I guess that is going to be considered a user error not a production flaw. So if they agree to fix/replace it for you, you'll still have to pay.