Trackpad Issue

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
For the past few hours my Trackpad on my MBA has been acting erratically. It will be fine for a few minutes and then it will stop responding to my movements and it will move around on its own. Also, it will double-click on things and right-click other things. After messing up the Trackpad will once again respond to what I do for a few minutes before going haywire again.

I didn't do anything out of the ordinary for this to start and I have tried restarting and shutting the MBA off for a few minutes and then turning it back on, to no avail.

I would go to an Apple store but I know this is likely not an issue they can fix in store so they would have to send my computer off. The real issue that arises is that I'm leaving for vacation on Saturday for a week so I need to take my MBA with me and don't have time to wait for them to send it off.

All that being said, is there anything you guys can suggest I try doing? I have gone into the Trackpad settings and such but nothing seems to work.

Thanks in advance guys.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I don't know what to tell you about the clicking, but for the mouse moving around on its own, when that happens on my MacBook, I just wipe down the trackpad and clean it. Sometimes that does the trick. Even if it doesn't seem dirty or anything, just get a cloth or a towel, and just wipe it down. Never hurts to try ;)

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i suggest getting a cheap external mouse for your trip (with the air, you may have to do bluetooth to save the USB port, which will be a little more expensive). in case it degrades further, you at least have a backup until you can get it repaired. If you do this, i would check the "ignore trackpad while mouse is present" option in System preferences.