Trade a 2G unlocked iPhone for 3G 3.0 beta locked?

Would you make the trade?

• Total voters

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Here's the situation:

• You have a beaten up first-gen iPhone you bought for $75. It works perfectly but has major scratches and dings on the back while the screen is flawless. It is unlocked and jailbroken.
  • You have an opportunity to trade this iPhone straight up for a 3G 8GB in good condition running 3.0 beta, which cannot yet be unlocked and might never be unlockable.
  • You are already with AT&T on an iPhone 3G plan.
  • You have 2 other 3G iPhones already. You don't know why. You have vague ideas of selling one at some point and the other one is the one you use daily.

What would you do?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
If the V1 was in good shape, I might consider keeping it just for posterity. Since it is not, I would make the trade. You can always sell it too it you wanted too. The 3G might not bring as much as a V1 unlocked in good condition,but they are still fetching a pretty good price.
I voted "do it", but should have went with option 2 because I wonder why someone is willing to trade a 3G in good condition for a beat up V1? Anyway, we will see what others think.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
If the V1 was in good shape, I might consider keeping it just for posterity. Since it is not, I would make the trade. You can always sell it too it you wanted too. The 3G might not bring as much as a V1 unlocked in good condition,but they are still fetching a pretty good price.
I voted "do it", but should have went with option 2 because I wonder why someone is willing to trade a 3G in good condition for a beat up V1? Anyway, we will see what others think.
Yeah, the first-gen is not in good shape at all - multiple dings on the back and top and lots of scratches. Nowhere close to the pristine one I sold when I upgraded to the 3G. (Sigh)

I talked to the guy today and he upgraded to the 3.0 beta and couldn't unlock it and is now stuck with a phone he can't use. I'm a little shocked he didn't know he couldn't unlock it before he upgraded, or maybe he tried a TurboSim and it just failed on him.

Despite the dings, I really like the feel of the V1. The thing that gets me is that it won't be able to use MMS when 3.0 is officially released with it, which is actually pretty important to me when I use it while snowboarding, as dorky as that sounds.

Gah! I need professional help... :oops:

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
I thought 3g's were unlockable now. I swear I've seen them on the internet.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
If you already have a couple other 3G's, why not go ahead and do the trade and take the "worst" 3G you have for activities where you don't want to use your good 3G? Than you will have MMS wherever you go.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I concur...Mark

panzeriti

Bronze
Apr 15, 2009
I would do it because of the obvious reasons and I am sure that someone will figure out how to unlock that bad boy in the near future

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Ok Macgirl what did you decide? Or did the person trading realize they were crazy and call back the deal? Mark:laugh2:
:laugh2: I decided to skip the deal. I do really like this first-gen even though it's beaten up, and having it unlocked is handy. Who knows, maybe someone will figure out a way to get MMS working in 3.0 on the V1 iPhones (along with jailbreaking and unlocking it) and using it for snowboarding won't bother me so much...

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
:laugh2: I decided to skip the deal. I do really like this first-gen even though it's beaten up, and having it unlocked is handy. Who knows, maybe someone will figure out a way to get MMS working in 3.0 on the V1 iPhones (along with jailbreaking and unlocking it) and using it for snowboarding won't bother me so much...
I'm sure some great thinking "I'm going to beat Apple" mind is already working on it. My V1 is still in great shape since I got a replacement last August. I hope the next iPhone returns to Aluminum. I just really didn't care for the new plastic 3G iPhone. Anyway have a great weekend. Mark