Trade question..

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
OK, this is what i have going on at the time, i have a 4 gig iPhone but my uncle got a 8 gi iPhone, he is being nice to me and said that he would trade me becouse he don't need all the 8 gig and im "younger" and have more fun with it anyway... so my question is , Can we do a trade, simply trade out the sim cards and be happy with that or do i have to contact Apple and let them know that we want to do this?

another thing is that i have Apple care on my phone and would like that switched over to the new phone .. thanks

Busaholic

Oct 4, 2007
OK, this is what i have going on at the time, i have a 4 gig iPhone but my uncle got a 8 gi iPhone, he is being nice to me and said that he would trade me becouse he don't need all the 8 gig and im "younger" and have more fun with it anyway... so my question is , Can we do a trade, simply trade out the sim cards and be happy with that or do i have to contact Apple and let them know that we want to do this?

another thing is that i have Apple care on my phone and would like that switched over to the new phone .. thanks
Yup, If both of you have AT&T, you can just swap the sim cards and all is good unless you unlocked your phone and use a different sim/company then you would have to do the same for the 8gig.

I'm not sure how the Apple care thing works so hopefully someone could chime in on that one. :)

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
i don't think you can swap the Applecare if you've already registered it - registration is based on the iPhone's serial number. Applecare is definitely transferrable (i.e., whoever gets your iPhone through trade or purchase will also get the Applecare warranty), but i don't think you can keep it. you may want to contact Apple directly on this...

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
I don't believe you can transfer the Apple care plan. You can transfer the plan between owners, but I believe it has to remain on the original piece of hardware. You can always give Apple a call and find out.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
thanks for all the responses .. i can twait for the trade. i can use the extra 4 gigs... the only thing that i fell will be an issue is that when i register a new Apple care it will tell me that it is only one person per iPhone, or another thing that i fear is that when i take it to Apple to get checked is that they will tell me that this is not the original unit that i registered with the phone..

any input?

thanks

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
thanks for all the responses .. i can twait for the trade. i can use the extra 4 gigs... the only thing that i fell will be an issue is that when i register a new Apple care it will tell me that it is only one person per iPhone, or another thing that i fear is that when i take it to Apple to get checked is that they will tell me that this is not the original unit that i registered with the phone..

any input?

thanks
I think you should call Apple and see what they suggest. They are usually pretty nice about helping answer questions.
I am happy for you that you are upgrading, I have seen your posts where you which you would have bought the 8gb. I still have my 4 and probably will until next iPhone. But I am happy for you!

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
ok i decided that after being on hold with Apple for a long time that i don't care if the Applecare is transferable, i mean i have a yr before i have to buy it right?

so now i just want to make sure that i can make the trade smoothly... because I know that when i registered/activated it that they asked for the IME number,,, i think that is what it is called. i just want to make sure that when we trade i can still be covered and that all will be fine... thanks!

wendycharles

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
jj, I asked about the Apple care being transfered at the our local Apple store. the rep said that it usually stays with the device but that it is worth contacting Apple and they may make an exception.:laugh2:

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
cool , thanks for asking i really really appreciate it, im just waiting for my uncle to come home for Christmas then i'll make the trade. i just hope that it works out, i don't wan to take it to Apple and have them tell me that this is not the device that i originally registered and now there is nothing that i can do about it.. hope that all worked out for me

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
i went to the Apple store this afternoon and asked the people that worked there if i can make the trade the person assured me that there was no sim chip in the phone, then i said yes there is , then they said no there isn't then i asked to talk to some one else then they told me that there was and that i can make the trade, the only thing that bothers me is that i saw a post of a guy that bought a iPhone on EBAY and was charged again becouse att was charging him for a phone plus the one that he bought on EBAY, im not gettign mine off ebay but i hope that i dotn get charged for another phone when i make the switch