Traded in my Palm Pre for an iPhone 3GS

mike546

Jul 3, 2009
I picked up a Palm Pre, my first smart phone because of all the hype and because I read that it's so much better than the iPhone over on the Everything Pre forums. I've had mediocre service with Sprint over the last two years on a regular cell phone but when I got the Pre I had no data service at my job and could hardly make a call. At the same time a co worker was downloading videos and making calls from anywhere in the building on his iPhone. I posted my frustrations on the Pre forum and was labeled a TROLL a RETARD an iPhone FANBOY and personally attacked all the while being told that I was a liar and just trying to cause trouble. I returned the phone the next day and a few days later I picked up a 16gb 3GS. After using the iPhone and AT&T with great results, I can see that Palm tried to clone the iPhone and put a slide out keyboard on it. The iPhone is solid as a rock and the Pre feels like a cheap plastic toy next to it. I'm very happy I made the change, just don't tell anyone over at the Pre forum, they are very mean.:033:praying

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Welcome to the real forum. I have heard about the "kind" folks on the Pre forum from other sources. I'm sure the Pre has its strengths, but overall I'll stick with the iPhone. If nothing else, Sprint is the deal killer for me.

mike546

Jul 3, 2009
Thanks, I did like the Pre but if the service is no good in your area the phone is useless. I do prefer the 3GS over it now that I have had both. :eek:k:eek:k

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I have heard they have a tremendously awesome administrator over at EverythingPre.

Welcome to iCafe!:eek:

-Chris

Last edited:

mike546

Jul 3, 2009
I have heard they have a tremendously awesome administrator over at EverythingPre.

-Chris
Administrators, yes, but on a whole it's a bad scene if you don't agree with those guys. I see you wear many hats though.

Last edited by a moderator:

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX

-Chris
Oh get over yourself already!

hinky

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
I'll confess. I really dislike the 21st century Apple. I got an iPhone because I was eligible for a real discount. I am frustrated by the phone because it really lacks good mail handling (part of the reason for battery drain, always checking), no tasks manager at all for windows or sync with outlook, inability to have applications find docs on the phone (every application can only see docs it uploads... how stupid), cant use it as a USB, not efficient using USB only on WiFi or if you want to blow more money on Apple's MobileMe. We haven't even talked about battery life. Yes... you can see I'm not thrilled.

I went into the Sprint store. I was ready to get rid of the iPhone for the Pre. My first 30 seconds I knew that wasn't going to happen. The software might be good but I noticed a few things that would drive me crazy.

1) The build quality sucks. Is this the same company that built Treos?
2) The pullout keyboard is terrible. Is it made for children?
3) The screen is a tad too small. Sacrificed a comfortable view for tiny, refined letters.
4) Idiot decision/need to put the micro-USB cable for charging on the side (no doc unless you buy some ridiculous $70 super magento doc.)
5) USB cable port cleverly hidden behind cheap cover (great.)
6) No virtual keyboard yet - give the crappy keyboard and a use in landscape, this is bad.
7) The obvious need for some more apps that won't happen for at least 4-6 months when Palm gets its act together.
8) Inability to use a case due to the pullout keyboard. The Pre will not last you too long either with the pullout keyboard... Genii says "I see servicing in your future."

Now I'm still not sure I want to keep the iPhone and AT&T for 2 years but I need to upgrade from my Curve 8330. Surfing the web is not happening at all on any Blackberry with a scroll button. At this point, as much as Steve Jobs continues to stagnate the development of the iPhone to a ridciulous degree, it's still clearly more attractive and a better value than the Pre. If I say so then it's probably the case!

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I was going to chime in with my wonderful thoughts about Sprint and the Palm Pre but I decided not to. I don't want the OP to feel that he is being attacked here also. I will just say this one thing. I have not had one problem with my Pre. I also will not go into my whole Palm made a phone and touch screen long before Apple. So who cloned who? speech.

@Chris,
I was cracking up when I read your post. Oh yeah Chris Google the word "vanity". Hmmm if that's not the pot calling the kettle black. LOL, Mark:eek:k:eek:k

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I'll confess. I really dislike the 21st century Apple. I got an iPhone because I was eligible for a real discount. I am frustrated by the phone because it really lacks good mail handling (part of the reason for battery drain, always checking), no tasks manager at all for windows or sync with outlook, inability to have applications find docs on the phone (every application can only see docs it uploads... how stupid), cant use it as a USB, not efficient using USB only on WiFi or if you want to blow more money on Apple's MobileMe. We haven't even talked about battery life. Yes... you can see I'm not thrilled.

I went into the Sprint store. I was ready to get rid of the iPhone for the Pre. My first 30 seconds I knew that wasn't going to happen. The software might be good but I noticed a few things that would drive me crazy.

1) The build quality sucks. Is this the same company that built Treos?
2) The pullout keyboard is terrible. Is it made for children?
3) The screen is a tad too small. Sacrificed a comfortable view for tiny, refined letters.
4) Idiot decision/need to put the micro-USB cable for charging on the side (no doc unless you buy some ridiculous $70 super magento doc.)
5) USB cable port cleverly hidden behind cheap cover (great.)
6) No virtual keyboard yet - give the crappy keyboard and a use in landscape, this is bad.
7) The obvious need for some more apps that won't happen for at least 4-6 months when Palm gets its act together.
8) Inability to use a case due to the pullout keyboard. The Pre will not last you too long either with the pullout keyboard... Genii says "I see servicing in your future."

Now I'm still not sure I want to keep the iPhone and AT&T for 2 years but I need to upgrade from my Curve 8330. Surfing the web is not happening at all on any Blackberry with a scroll button. At this point, as much as Steve Jobs continues to stagnate the development of the iPhone to a ridciulous degree, it's still clearly more attractive and a better value than the Pre. If I say so then it's probably the case!
Maybe you should have spent more time with the Pre because half the things you stated aren't even true. Mark

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com

mike546

Jul 3, 2009
I also will not go into my whole Palm made a phone and touch screen long before Apple. So who cloned who? speech
That may be true, like I said this is my first venture into a smart/data phone, it just seemed like a lot of similarities in the phones. I work construction and use my phone for the weather, a few emails and a few text a day, so I'm no power user and probably won't use many of the features of either phone. I do like the sturdiness of the iPhone better.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I thought we were talking mobile devices here so your point is moot. Mark
No, the point is not mute. Palm made a mobile phone with a touchscreen based on the same technology (requiring a stylus) that Apple had used for a phone (who cares if it wasn't mobile...it was 1983) in the early 80's.

My point is that Apple was the first one to make one that didn't require a stylus. Huge difference IMO!

Palm didn't start anything. Don't delude yourself.

dembflyr

Jul 4, 2009
I also had the Pre (actually three of them) I got it on launch day and was not sure from the start if I was going to keep it. I did not get consistent reception at my house. This was after two years at this house with Sprint service. I had it replaced after missing a very important call. The next one had a slider so lose that you could twist the phone almost 1/8 inch side to side with the slider closed as well as the same poor reception. After replacing it once more, and having no improvement with reception, I decided to return it and just deal with my Centro. That was until my Centro decided to not cooperate. I got a 3GS 16g last week and cannot believe the difference. Build quality is FAR superior. The processor seems much faster and the touch screen works so much better. I have not once thought about returning this phone.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I'm not directing this at anyone. I am merely making an informed observation of humans. People are never satisfied with anything. I remember my UtStar 6600 on sprint what a great phone. People complained to the high heavens that it was to large, to heavy. Then the UtStar 6700 came out much smaller people complained it was to small. Then you had the smartphones with no physical keyboard just on screen. Now people cry they want a physical keyboard tomorrow they don't. Today people want larger screens tomorrow they don't and vise versa. I get so tired of people b**ching about everything all the time. I have been to places in the world where people have nothing yet still are happy. My God people just be glad you woke up this morning. Everything else is a bonus. Mark

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
No, the point is not mute. Palm made a mobile phone with a touchscreen based on the same technology (requiring a stylus) that Apple had used for a phone (who cares if it wasn't mobile...it was 1983) in the early 80's.

My point is that Apple was the first one to make one that didn't require a stylus. Huge difference IMO!

Palm didn't start anything. Don't delude yourself.
Ok if it makes you happy you win. Mark

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
I was going to chime in with my wonderful thoughts about Sprint and the Palm Pre but I decided not to. I don't want the OP to feel that he is being attacked here also. I will just say this one thing. I have not had one problem with my Pre. I also will not go into my whole Palm made a phone and touch screen long before Apple. So who cloned who? speech.

Mark:eek:k:eek:k
Mark,

I like many of your posts because we both agree that you should still get a charger with an iPod! But actually the Apple Newton message pad was out before the Palm Pilot

The Newton came out in 1993, the first Palm Pilot was introduced in 1996.

Here is an excerpt from an article written right around the time the iPhone came out in 07.

"While the iPhone looks set to take the market by storm, the HTC S620 and Samsung i600 were good takes on the Blackberry, and the Palm Treo range has long been tested and trusted. The Treo's roots lie in Palm's original Pilot, a product category HP's iPaq range later smartened up.

But all these gadgets have one thing in common: they base their capabilities and concept on the godfather of PDAs. Although sluggish and bulky by today's standards, the device helped set the tone for PDAs to come.

It was, of course, Apple's Newton MessagePad. Born in August 1993, the MessagePad was first unveiled at MacWorld Boston and was priced at around $699."

So back to the who's copying who argument....... EVERYONE COPYS EVERYONE ! lol

hinky

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
Maybe you should have spent more time with the Pre because half the things you stated aren't even true. Mark
I always love these condescending message from people who say nothing. What isn't true about what I said or do you have or much to contribute?

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I picked up a Palm Pre, my first smart phone because of all the hype and because I read that it's so much better than the iPhone over on the Everything Pre forums. I've had mediocre service with Sprint over the last two years on a regular cell phone but when I got the Pre I had no data service at my job and could hardly make a call. At the same time a co worker was downloading videos and making calls from anywhere in the building on his iPhone. I posted my frustrations on the Pre forum and was labeled a TROLL a RETARD an iPhone FANBOY and personally attacked all the while being told that I was a liar and just trying to cause trouble. I returned the phone the next day and a few days later I picked up a 16gb 3GS. After using the iPhone and AT&T with great results, I can see that Palm tried to clone the iPhone and put a slide out keyboard on it. The iPhone is solid as a rock and the Pre feels like a cheap plastic toy next to it. I'm very happy I made the change, just don't tell anyone over at the Pre forum, they are very mean.:033:praying
Hey, Mike,

I thought your username sounded familiar.

I was reading through your thread on Everythingpre the other day (Why did I get a Pre over the iPhone?) and was shocked at the responses you got. I mean, I know that they're going to love and support the Pre over there, but the level of hostility and nastiness was completely uncalled for. My username there is Gathomblipoob and I even got called a troll once or twice for no reason. That is the most thin-skinned bunch I've ever seen in any forum.

On that note, welcome to EiC, and I hope you enjoy your stay. We're not perfect (well, I am, heheh), but we try to listen and be fair to each other.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I always love these condescending message from people who say nothing. What isn't true about what I said or do you have or much to contribute?
My reply was not condescending. I did not go into a long drawn out bulleted text about all that you were wrong about because I have already covered it in the Palm Pre vs iPhone thread. However if you would like I can lay it out for you here. Mark