Traded in my Palm Pre for an iPhone 3GS

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Apple is concerned with $$$. The more devices that intergrate with iTunes. The more $$$ Apple makes. You guys kill me with your thinking. Why didn't Apple patch it on the last update. Everytime someone mentions a great function about the Pre it sends chills down you guys spine. Apple is not going to patch anything.
1240605367-eating_crow.jpg

The iTunes update that is now available just busted the Pre's bubble.

Last edited by a moderator:

hinky

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
Now that all music is DRM free there is no logical reason for Apple to block any device from working with iTunes. If anything they should probably be welcoming devices that would sync with it. I'm sure they are more concerned with music sales than keeping iTunes syncing exclusive to the iPhone. The iPhone sales well enough and I doubt Apple is worried about losing users to the pre just because it "semi" syncs through iTunes. The contact syncing is still not there. Any Apple fans who sit here hoping they patch iTunes to nix the pre's syncing capability obviously would rather live in an anticompetitive society. Competition for Apple only helps us in the end. Besides I'd be pissed if Apple is worrying about this instead of things like improving battery life or multitasking
(1) You assume people are logical. Jobs doesn't want competition. He wants money, control, and domination.

(2) iTunes sync is a nightmare for Apple. For those of you talking about buying through iTunes... well... why do you think the Pre itself is hardwired to use AMAZON for purchases? Beautiful... sync all the music you had with an Apple device but, from now on, buy a Palm Pre and buy your music from Amazon. Don't worry, you won't lose any of those DRM-proprietary formatted music.

(3) If companies welcomed competition, they wouldn't be filing patents like madmen hoping to thwart any competition and sue anyone who comes absurdly close to what they believe is infringement.

Your view is a nice pipe dream where everyone has health care. Given what happened to our economy, it's quite clear that while outright selfishness and fraud may not be punished severely if at all, nobody gives a hoot about making anything better unless it makes them plenty more money to go through the trouble. Until then, you can bet Apple will enforce its mighty power and tell you that jailbreaking your device will void your warranty. how's that forthe benefit of mankind?

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
^^ stupid move on Apple's part, but knowing how spiteful they are it doesn't surprise me all that much.
This is exactly why some people hate Apple. They never play well with other's. Ok so I was wrong about Apple not stopping the Pre intergration in iTunes. I was also wrong about Apple feeling threatened by the Pre. Obviously Apple must feel threatened by the Pre. Otherwise Apple would have just sat back and raked in the cash from Pre owners. Which by the way would have been the smart thing to do. Mark

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
(1) You assume people are logical. Jobs doesn't want competition. He wants money, control, and domination.

(2) iTunes sync is a nightmare for Apple. For those of you talking about buying through iTunes... well... why do you think the Pre itself is hardwired to use AMAZON for purchases? Beautiful... sync all the music you had with an Apple device but, from now on, buy a Palm Pre and buy your music from Amazon. Don't worry, you won't lose any of those DRM-proprietary formatted music.

(3) If companies welcomed competition, they wouldn't be filing patents like madmen hoping to thwart any competition and sue anyone who comes absurdly close to what they believe is infringement.

Your view is a nice pipe dream where everyone has health care. Given what happened to our economy, it's quite clear that while outright selfishness and fraud may not be punished severely if at all, nobody gives a hoot about making anything better unless it makes them plenty more money to go through the trouble. Until then, you can bet Apple will enforce its mighty power and tell you that jailbreaking your device will void your warranty. how's that forthe benefit of mankind?
I agree with what you've said but I think Bernie Madoff (with everyone's cash) would have a hard time validating your last paragraph. :dft008:surprised Mark

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Mark, I should put that I was just messing with you in my post. I hope you took it that way. IMO it is indeed very dumb of Apple to do this. All it could do is generate more money for them. One thing about Apple, some of their moves can leave you shaking your head and asking "Why?".

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
iTunes is Apple software, if the want to limit it to their own devices then it's their right to do so. What I don't get is why palm hasn't spent this time developing their own software to sync with the pre. You can't expect your competion to let you run on their program especially when Apple really doesn't get much in return.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX

my post had nothing to do with Apple welcoming competition. I was making a remark to Apple fans who were giddy in anticipation of Apple blocking the Pre. As consumers we should want Apple to have competition. Anyone who doesn't wreaks of fanboyism.

Apple allowing other devices to sync with iTunes from a businesss view would only help Apple in terms of music sales. I don't particularly care as I prefer to buy my music from other outlets in higher quality formats. But if they would open iTunes up to other players I think they stand to gain more than they will lose. As good of a device as the Pre is, the iPhone is certainly not losing a drastic amount of sales to it. As much as the iPhone generates for Apple I don't think it is near as big of a source of profit as songs on iTunes.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
Why the hell would Apple want to help sell someone else's hardware by letting it sync with iTunes?

On top of that, I'm sure they are pissed off at the former Apple employees who work for Palm, and had a hand in helping the Pre be recognized by iTunes. It's a classic way of saying, "F off!".:eek:k:eek:k

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
iTunes is Apple software, if the want to limit it to their own devices then it's their right to do so. What I don't get is why palm hasn't spent this time developing their own software to sync with the pre. You can't expect your competion to let you run on their program especially when Apple really doesn't get much in return.
I knew a Fanboy would soon come to agree with Apples foolish decission. Do you think Cole Haan won't sell you any shoes just because you walk in the store with Rockport's on? :D Mark

BTW: Not to mention the advertising exposure Apple could have pitched to people who otherwise probably don't currently use Apple products.

mike546

Jul 3, 2009
Apple is greedy protecting their technology, just like the recording industry is greedy, wanting you to pay for songs so they can pay the artist. The nerve of them! Unless you don't own any stock or don't have a 401K or don't belong to a retirement system, you are as greedy as Apple or the stockholders. Face it, we all want to make money so we can buy an iPhone. If it weren't for the opportunity to make a boatload of money there wouldn't be a Pre or iPhone and the last I looked Palm wasn't giving them away. Ok let me have it.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I would hope this is something that is coming. It is puzzling why they haven't provided a solution other than tapping into iTunes. You would think with Amazon mp3 store on the phone they would have some kind of solution to sync purchases from the phone to the pc and vice versa.

I guess I can see why Apple would want to keep iTunes strictly to the iPhone/iPod. No other phone can claim the simplicity of syncing your music, etc. like the iPhone does. It really isn't a huge deal to me but to some people it probably is. I have no problem dragging and dropping files.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Mark, I should put that I was just messing with you in my post. I hope you took it that way. IMO it is indeed very dumb of Apple to do this. All it could do is generate more money for them. One thing about Apple, some of their moves can leave you shaking your head and asking "Why?".
I took no offense sir. I'm not that sensitive. ;) Mark