Traded in my Palm Pre for an iPhone 3GS

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
I would hope this is something that is coming. It is puzzling why they haven't provided a solution other than tapping into iTunes. You would think with Amazon mp3 store on the phone they would have some kind of solution to sync purchases from the phone to the pc and vice versa.

I guess I can see why Apple would want to keep iTunes strictly to the iPhone/iPod. No other phone can claim the simplicity of syncing your music, etc. like the iPhone does. It really isn't a huge deal to me but to some people it probably is. I have no problem dragging and dropping files.
And considering how Apple likes to tout it's "virus free" computing experience, I'm sure they don't like the fact that an outside entity came in and literally hacked another makers phone into Apple software.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Mark, quit calling everyone who disagrees with you a fanboy. That really weakens any arguments you put forth in a debate, in my opinion.

I also agree with Apple's decision. Convenient syncing with iTunes is definitely a selling point for a mobile device, and Palm was simply leaching off of Apple in this regard. If there are other ways to sync music to your Palm, then fine, use them. Why should Apple cater to a competitor with their own software? I just don't see this as petty on Apple's part so much as "inevitable".

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
Seriously? I can't believe any long term iPhone owners are surprised that Apple would block the Pre's intergration into iTunes. Sure it is an added source of revenue but the iPhone IS the top selling phone. Do they really need this added revenue? I am surprised it didn't happen SOONER rather than later. Though I am fairly new to the forum I get the sense Apple is very proprietary and protective of their hardware and software. I don't know about the Pre but previous Palm devices do have their own sync software. If the Pre outsold the iPhone on launch perhaps SJ would have let the Pre play with iTunes as that would be a SIGNIFICANT addition of devices to add to the market. Might have even added some Pre software in the App store lol.
Cough...errum...just my newbie 0.02:022:really

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Any of you who believe people rushed out to buy a Palm Pre due to iTunes intergration needs your head examined. Like I said who really cares if the Pre sync's or not to iTunes there are many other choices for syncing. The sync was limited anyway. The photo sync would put all photo's in one folder instead of individual folders, you couldn't sync any content other than media. It's not like the sync was the best thing since sliced bread. Once again WHO CARES! :mad: Mark

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Seriously? I can't believe any long term iPhone owners are surprised that Apple would block the Pre's intergration into iTunes. Sure it is an added source of revenue but the iPhone IS the top selling phone. Do they really need this added revenue? I am surprised it didn't happen SOONER rather than later. Though I am fairly new to the forum I get the sense Apple is very proprietary and protective of their hardware and software. I don't know about the Pre but previous Palm devices do have their own sync software. If the Pre outsold the iPhone on launch perhaps SJ would have let the Pre play with iTunes as that would be a SIGNIFICANT addition of devices to add to the market. Might have even added some Pre software in the App store lol.
Cough...errum...just my newbie 0.02:022:really
You must not have seen Wall Street. Greed is good make all the money you can. Do you think Sony wouldn't sell you a CD just because you weren't going to play it on a Sony device. Apple is getting ridiculous with their me, me, me attitude. Mark

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
Come on Mark. I know money drives this country. I just think the Pre isn't enough incentive for Apple to allow it in iTunes. Did Palm pay for the privilege? Apple doesn't need the Pre for it's bottom line......profit!

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Mark, quit calling everyone who disagrees with you a fanboy. That really weakens any arguments you put forth in a debate, in my opinion.

I also agree with Apple's decision. Convenient syncing with iTunes is definitely a selling point for a mobile device, and Palm was simply leaching off of Apple in this regard. If there are other ways to sync music to your Palm, then fine, use them. Why should Apple cater to a competitor with their own software? I just don't see this as petty on Apple's part so much as "inevitable".
Dave why do you always get so upset over everything. Calling someone a fanboy is a term of endearment. Also you can ban me if you want. Please do not command me to do anything like I am a child. I do not need you to choose my words for me.

I have seen iCafe call people much worst and you let it go. CallIng someone a Fanboy is in no way disrespecting them (at least in my book) it's a shorter way of saying they are loyal to Apple and I see nothing wrong with that. This is a forum full of Apple loyalist so what's the problem? Mark

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You must not have seen Wall Street. Greed is good make all the money you can. Do you think Sony wouldn't sell you a CD just because you weren't going to play it on a Sony device. Apple is getting ridiculous with their me, me, me attitude. Mark
That's one of the worst analogies I've ever heard ;)

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Dave why do you always get so upset over everything. Calling someone a fanboy is a term of endearment. Also you can ban me if you want. Please do not command me to do anything like I am a child. I do not need you to choose my words for me.

I have seen iCafe call people much worst and you let it go. CallIng someone a Fanboy is in no way disrespecting them (at least in my book) it's a shorter way of saying they are loyal to Apple and I see nothing wrong with that. This is a forum full of Apple loyalist so what's the problem? Mark
I'd be insulted if someone called me a fanboy.

The Pre is a lightning rod. Thought this would be a typical friendly iCafe thread, but the Pre will not have it.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
The only thing that I will agree with here is Apple can do whatever they choose to do with their software. I will never agree that turning away new customers is good for any businesss especially in this horrible economy we are in.

I will agree that Palm should have developed their own software for their own product. I also think it was wrong for Palm to flaunt using iTunes in Pre commercials. Try to see it this way though. Palm was basically giving Apple free advertising. Palm was also steering a customer base to Apple. The whole iTunes sync could have blown up in Palm's face. Pre owners could have liked the ease of use of iTunes so much but hated the limited capabilities for the Pre sync that they switched to an iPhone. Also if you can basically pimp your competition for cash why not do it?

Like I said in the earlier post if I'm wearing Rockport's when entering the Cole Haan store is Cole Haan not going to sale me shoes? Heck yes they are. Look at the logic behind it. I might just find that I like the Cole Haan's better and become a lifetime customer. I would never have a chance to make that decission if I am turned away at the door do to wearing a different brand.

I bet when Apple was on the brink of bankruptcy (pre-iPod) they would not have turned any customers away. I have been called everything but a child of God here for being (in members opinion) snobbish. Why then is it when Apple acts snobbish and remains elite is it alright. Please people decide which side of the fence you are going to be on. Mark

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
Mark you snobbish, son of God! Now you have been called everything you gadget fanboy! Question. If Palm was advertising compatibility with iTunes, will they take a class action suit for false advertising? Makes me wonder.

I don't think Apple would sell more iPhones by letting other companies use their free software. Apple releases free music jukebox software as an incentive to buy their products. If they let other companies tap into that resource there will be less incentive to buy an Apple device, and more incentives to buy competition. They would make more money selling phones and media than just media.

That's just this noobs 2 cents, being an  fanboy!:D
:sneaky:

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Like I said in the earlier post if I'm wearing Rockport's when entering the Cole Haan store is Cole Haan not going to sale me shoes? Heck yes they are. Look at the logic behind it. I might just find that I like the Cole Haan's better and become a lifetime customer. I would never have a chance to make that decission if I am turned away at the door do to wearing a different brand.
But you're not asking Cole Haan to support your Rockports. You might buy a set of laces there for your Rockports, but that's about it.

hinky

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
Come on Mark. I know money drives this country. I just think the Pre isn't enough incentive for Apple to allow it in iTunes. Did Palm pay for the privilege? Apple doesn't need the Pre for it's bottom line......profit!
Apple believes you should pay for the privilege of having a today screen - they are too busy "patenting" theirs rather than fixing the battery. The US has become a pathetic battlefield of confused patent rights for many "inventions" that are far more inevitable and obvious rather than innovative.

I will agree that Palm should have developed their own software for their own product. I also think it was wrong for Palm to flaunt using iTunes in Pre commercials. Try to see it this way though. Palm was basically giving Apple free advertising. Palm was also steering a customer base to Apple. The whole iTunes sync could have blown up in Palm's face.
I agree with much of what you said but think this needs clarification. Apple spent a great deal of time with the iPod saying "if we build great technology and lock people into a proprietary system, most won't realize it until they have dumped too much money into the cow and they will never pull out." I don't think it was wrong of Palm to say that you won't lose your investment any more than it was for Apple to say that you could run Windows on a Mac if you needed to do so.

Palm has their own synching software. The problem is ensuring that people don't lose their music, a huge part of PDAs these days. They didn't really have a choice but to say "don't worry... all is not lost." Starting a whole new system? They do have something with Amazon that works with an open system.

I don't think this would blow up in Palm's face because most people know about the iPhone. They don't know about the Pre. Nobody has heard about anything worthwhile from Palm in YEARS. The last several devices were total throwaways. The Pre is their last chance. It's pathetic that they chose such mediocre hardware but that has been Colligan's downfall all along. He thought he could put out either superior hardware or software and milk one of them at a time. Competition nailed them and now they are in a desperate game of catchup and they are at it again...

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
@The Apple,
First of all I want to say. You guys are a tough crowd. Secondly if you put out a quality product with quality support (which Apple does both). Why would you be so worried about customers jumping ship just because you open your media store to outsiders? I think it's safe to say once you buy an Apple product. You are hooked for life if you can continue to afford their products. Any other device that can integrate with Apple is a win, win for Apple. Apple first makes profits from additional sales. Apple also by letting in outsiders exposes outsiders to the world of Apple.

Since no one liked my other analogies let me throw this one out there. Apple is playing the proprietary game and enjoys it. Why is there a version of iTunes for Windows then? Why not just make iTunes exclusive to Macs? We all know the answer to that one, market share. Okay so Apple will dance with the major players but stomp on the little guys.

Do you think a die hard Windows person is going to dump their Zune for an iPod, maybe after using iTunes. Windows media player is no where close to iTunes. Now the same question but different. Do you think an Apple loyalist (Fanboy/girl) is going to dump their iPod for a Zune, heck no (I know I'm not). Apple could gain new customers through conversion if they would just open iTunes up a bit.

So all of you don't mind a Windows version of iTunes. Yet you believe that the Pre should not be able to integrate. Makes no sense to me...:D Mark

hinky

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
Do you think a die hard Windows person is going to dump their Zune for an iPod, maybe after using iTunes. Windows media player is no where close to iTunes. Now the same question but different. Do you think an Apple loyalist (Fanboy/girl) is going to dump their iPod for a Zune, heck no (I know I'm not). Apple could gain new customers through conversion if they would just open iTunes up a bit.
Interesting... I think that the problem is that Apple believes it must open everything up wide or not even a sliver. Apple will lose customers if Palm makes the Pre with all those things that people who would buy the iPhone would drool at - and don't have to jailbreak.

Here's a thought... what if Apple's next version of the iPhone OS takes weeks or even numerous months to jailbreak? I think you'll start seeing serious Apple hatred...

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I also don't know why (but I do respect his right to his opinion) Hinky continues to call the Pre sub par hardware. I will admit I had to return my launch day Pre due to a bubble in the screen. The bubble was merely a manufacturing defect caused by a faulty mold. Other than that the Pre has been rock solid. I have never had a device (other than the iPhone) with such a great build. The software/OS is also the most stable I have seen in years. No freezes, reboots or bugs. Sure it's missing some features but to date there is no "Do All" device out there. At least the Pre has worked as Palm said it would not just some time but every time. Mark:eek:k:eek:k