Traded in my Palm Pre for an iPhone 3GS

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
Mark I think you forget you are in maybe .02% of the population that carries more than one device for personal use. I exclude businesss devices because in most cases they are assigned and you can't choose the device they will issue. (I know this is not the case in every situation)

That being said, everyone else usually chooses one device. Apple wants the public to choose the iPhone. Apple knows if they let every device sync easily to iTunes, that gives their competition a nice firm stepping stone. I like iTunes a lot more than other media players, and so do a lot of other people. I would not want to buy a phone that couldn't sync with iTunes. I guess thats just my preference though. I was wondering how the whole Pre syncing with iTunes was gonna work out.

Apple let Pre sync free a couple months. I wonder if it was intentional to let the Pre users see what they would be missing when the rug was pulled? I am gonna go see what they are saying on the Pre boards. If I am not back in a day or so, those hostiles have stoned me to death!

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Interesting... I think that the problem is that Apple believes it must open everything up wide or not even a sliver. Apple will lose customers if Palm makes the Pre with all those things that people who would buy the iPhone would drool at - and don't have to jailbreak.

Here's a thought... what if Apple's next version of the iPhone OS takes weeks or even numerous months to jailbreak? I think you'll start seeing serious Apple hatred...
I wonder what all the Apple lovers are going to say when Apple brings multitasking to the iPhone. We can just about bet that it's coming in some form. I assure you that there will not be thread after thread talking about how Apple stole multitasking from Palm. Mark;)

hinky

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
I also don't know why (but I do respect his right to his opinion) Hinky continues to call the Pre sub par hardware.
This is because the Pre is clearly below the standard set by (a) it's competitor in the iPhone, and (b) any of its own prior products. There is no way the Pre looks or feels anywhere near as "expensive" and solid as the Palm Treo. It doesn't even stack up so well against the competition in its own category of slide out keyboards. I think the HTC build quality puts the Palm to shame.

I'm not saying the Pre is totally inadequate, but if you're selling a brand new device that has no software (yet) and an operating system you hope will compete with the iPhone, you can't put out mediocre. I cannot understand why they created such a lousy keyboard and a USB cable plug on the side of the phone with a cheap cover over it. Those are the most used parts of the phone. Even looking at the plasticky case didn't make you excited to have a Palm Pre. That was never the case with the slick, sharp and very well manufactured Treos.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Mark I think you forget you are in maybe .02% of the population that carries more than one device for personal use. I exclude businesss devices because in most cases they are assigned and you can't choose the device they will issue. (I know this is not the case in every situation)

That being said, everyone else usually chooses one device. Apple wants the public to choose the iPhone. Apple knows if they let every device sync easily to iTunes, that gives their competition a nice firm stepping stone. I like iTunes a lot more than other media players, and so do a lot of other people. I would not want to buy a phone that couldn't sync with iTunes. I guess thats just my preference though. I was wondering how the whole Pre syncing with iTunes was gonna work out.

Apple let Pre sync free a couple months. I wonder if it was intentional to let the Pre users see what they would be missing when the rug was pulled? I am gonna go see what they are saying on the Pre boards. If I am not back in a day or so, those hostiles have stoned me to death!
The Apple,
I don't really think Apple snatched the rug from under the Pre by blocking the sync. As I've said other than not having to drag and drop or opening another program while iTunes is already open due to syncing the 3GS. The sync capabilities were not all that great and no where near the sync of an iPhone or iPod with iTunes. I would even venture to say that most people probably found it more of a hinderance than a help. Mark

BTW: Anyone with a Pre looking for a better alternative (well choice now that it's blocked once you update iTunes) to iTunes. doubleTwist works great for syncing the Pre.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
This is because the Pre is clearly below the standard set by (a) it's competitor in the iPhone, and (b) any of its own prior products. There is no way the Pre looks or feels anywhere near as "expensive" and solid as the Palm Treo. It doesn't even stack up so well against the competition in its own category of slide out keyboards. I think the HTC build quality puts the Palm to shame.

I'm not saying the Pre is totally inadequate, but if you're selling a brand new device that has no software (yet) and an operating system you hope will compete with the iPhone, you can't put out mediocre. I cannot understand why they created such a lousy keyboard and a USB cable plug on the side of the phone with a cheap cover over it. Those are the most used parts of the phone. Even looking at the plasticky case didn't make you excited to have a Palm Pre. That was never the case with the slick, sharp and very well manufactured Treos.
Every one has their own opinion and I respect yours. However I do not agree with you. I have had numerous Treo's (Garbage in my opinion) and HTC devices (big and clunky can you say G1 or Touch Pro) and I like the build of the Pre better than any of those. The Pre is so sleek and sexy. I just wish Palm had of made a white version. I get tired of wiping this thing down all the time due to smudges. Mark

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
So all of you don't mind a Windows version of iTunes. Yet you believe that the Pre should not be able to integrate. Makes no sense to me...:D Mark
I'm still not sure you hit the analogy thing on the head. And making a Windows version was to allow the largest amount of computers in the world to use their ipods and iPhones with ease. Yes it makes them more money, but I don't see that as a good comparison to the Pre using iTunes. If they only made iTunes for Macs then they would have come under fire by everyone saying they just want people to use Apple products only. The Pre using iTunes is more of we spent our time and money on creating something special for our ipod/iPhone customers to get that great experience and integration it offers. So since the iPhone has an iTunes app should Palm find a way to put an iTunes app on the Pre so you can purchase music and redownload music already bought? Yes I think Apple didn't like it and that's why they patched it and I have expressed that I didn't like it and they should have created their own syncing software. This has nothing to do with the Pre I wouldn't want BB, HTC, etc. to be doing it either.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
I wonder what all the Apple lovers are going to say when Apple brings multitasking to the iPhone. We can just about bet that it's coming in some form. I assure you that there will not be thread after thread talking about how Apple stole multitasking from Palm. Mark;)
I will never say that though. I think if they bring multitasking it took this long because 50% in need of better hardware and 50% because of the Pre. I'm sure they want multitasking but the way Apple does things it will take a couple years to fully implement it like mms and copy and paste. At least when they do we should be happy with their way of doing it.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I'm still not sure you hit the analogy thing on the head. And making a Windows version was to allow the largest amount of computers in the world to use their ipods and iPhones with ease. Yes it makes them more money, but I don't see that as a good comparison to the Pre using iTunes. If they only made iTunes for Macs then they would have come under fire by everyone saying they just want people to use Apple products only. The Pre using iTunes is more of we spent our time and money on creating something special for our ipod/iPhone customers to get that great experience and integration it offers. So since the iPhone has an iTunes app should Palm find a way to put an iTunes app on the Pre so you can purchase music and redownload music already bought? Yes I think Apple didn't like it and that's why they patched it and I have expressed that I didn't like it and they should have created their own syncing software. This has nothing to do with the Pre I wouldn't want BB, HTC, etc. to be doing it either.
Why does it even matter one way or the other to you if you don't own a Pre? Mark

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Why does it even matter one way or the other to you if you don't own a Pre? Mark
I'm not the only one who has been talking about this and doesn't own a Pre. I do use iTunes and it is great, if you want to use it then use an Apple product, that's how I see it. I am just giving my opinion like you have been.

hinky

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
Apple has already filed a provisional patent on multitasking on mobile phones and in the process of enforcing it against others. ;) LOL

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I'm not the only one who has been talking about this and doesn't own a Pre. I do use iTunes and it is great, if you want to use it then use an Apple product, that's how I see it. I am just giving my opinion like you have been.
You still did not answer the question. Most likely because you don't have a valid answer for the question.You don't even know yourself why you don't want Palm Pre owner's not syncing to iTunes. Your response everyone else is saying Pre owners should not be able to sync to iTunes so I just joined in. Shows you as a follower and not a leader. If everyone else doused their selves in gasoline and lit their selves on fire. Would you do that also? I'm not trying to be hard on you. I'm just trying to get you to see how foolish it is to concern yourself with something that doesn't even affect you. Mark

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
LMAO! 4.67GB free.

How quaint.
Steve surely you jest. Did you call it quaint when the first iPhone came out in 4 & 8GB? No you didn't you went and bought one. So why are you acting like the iPhone didn't start somewhere? What's really quaint is being several hundred miles from an Apple store and your battery goes out and you can't just pop in another one. That's about as quaint as it gets.:sneaky: Mark

BTW: As I've said many times this is a mobile device not a super computer or storage device. Why do I need a gazillion GB's when I know how to manage my play lists correctly?

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
You still did not answer the question. Most likely because you don't have a valid answer for the question.You don't even know yourself why you don't want Palm Pre owner's not syncing to iTunes. Your response everyone else is saying Pre owners should not be able to sync to iTunes so I just joined in. Shows you as a follower and not a leader. If everyone else doused their selves in gasoline and lit their selves on fire. Would you do that also? I'm not trying to be hard on you. I'm just trying to get you to see how foolish it is to concern yourself with something that doesn't even affect you. Mark
It sounds as if you're trying to tell him that he shouldn't have an opinion.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
I personally could give to flips whether the pre can or does sync with iTunes, I can certainly understand Apple shutting them down though.

If Palm hadn't used it as a selling point to their phone....apple may not have shut them down. Apple is not going to help Palm sell their phones, it's bad businesss.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Steve surely you jest. Did you call it quaint when the first iPhone came out in 4 & 8GB? No you didn't you went and bought one. So why are you acting like the iPhone didn't start somewhere? What's really quaint is being several hundred miles from an Apple store and your battery goes out and you can't just pop in another one. That's about as quaint as it gets.:sneaky: Mark

BTW: As I've said many times this is a mobile device not a super computer or storage device. Why do I need a gazillion GB's when I know how to manage my play lists correctly?
You can criticize the iPhone but someone else can't criticize the Pre?

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007

Hahaha. Hence the use of the word 'quaint'. Not acting like the phone didn't start somewhere. The low GB is of yesteryear at this point.

Yes, when iPhone started, there were NO HD movies, NO apps, NO 256kbps music d'loads on iTunes, NO 3MP camera, NO video camera, NO voice recordings, and so on.

Why does the PRE need more GB? Simply put. Convenience. People don't like to get up to change the channel on a TV in this day and age. I'm sure there are more people than not, that would rather dump everything they have in their media library onto the PRE, and not have to worry about changing the content with syncing.

I'll trade the GB for the absolute MINUTE possibility that the battery would ever just "go out".;)

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009

This is pretty silly, you can buy external batteries and battery packs for the iPhone. I realize this costs extra...but so does an additional battery to pop into the pre.