Traded in my Palm Pre for an iPhone 3GS

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
You can criticize the iPhone but someone else can't criticize the Pre?
I wasn't even criticizing the PRE. I just laughed out loud when I saw the memory bar and how much was free. It was nostalgic, so I called it "quaint".

Kind of like external antennae on cell phones nowadays. Not toooooo many have them, but they take you back in time. And my first cell phone, in 1991? A Panasonic with Cell One. Now that's REALLY quaint!

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
This is pretty silly, you can buy external batteries and battery packs for the iPhone. I realize this costs extra...but so does an additional battery to pop into the pre.
I inferred he meant "DEAD" battery. Not drained battery.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I personally could give to flips whether the pre can or does sync with iTunes, I can certainly understand Apple shutting them down though.

If Palm hadn't used it as a selling point to their phone....apple may not have shut them down. Apple is not going to help Palm sell their phones, it's bad businesss.
News Flash: Palm Pre owners did not buy Pre's just because of iTunes integration. I have yet to hear about or read one Palm Pre purchaser say I bought a Pre do to iTunes integration. I also have not heard or read of any perspective Palm Pre owner saying let me rush out and buy a Pre it syncs to iTunes. Heck most Palm Pre users that aren't techies didn't even know that it was possible to sync to iTunes or what iTunes even is for that matter. Look how many first time iPhone users were introduced to iTunes via buying an iPhone.

Second New Flash: If anyone was helping anyone's sales it was Palm helping Apple by directing customers to Apple's media store. Mark

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
I inferred he meant "DEAD" battery. Not drained battery.
Never even considered that, since the battery would be acting so horrid before it needed to be replaced the likely hood that it would be dead beyond redemption in that scenario is VERY low. Certainly someone as picky as swagger would have had it replaced prior to that.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I don't know why people insist on comparing Pre v1 with the original iPhone. Palm designed their phone about two years later, not back then. They've had the opportunity to look at and improve on the past couple of generations of Apple product.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
I absolutely am not telling him not to have an opinion. I am merely suggesting to him if you have and voice an opinion at least have a good reason for your opinion. Don't just have that opinion because everyone else thinks like that. Mark
Now I'm really confused. I don't even know what my "opinion" was by saying something was...Definitions of quaint on the Web:

strange in an interesting or pleasing way; "quaint dialect words"; "quaint streets of New Orleans, that most foreign of American cities"
very strange or unusual; odd or even incongruous in character or appearance; "the head terminating in the quaint duck bill which gives the animal its vernacular name"- Bill Beatty; "came forth a quaint and fearful sight"- Sir Walter Scott; "a quaint sense of humor"
old-time: attractively old-fashioned (but not necessarily authentic); "houses with quaint thatched roofs"; "a vaulted roof supporting old-time chimney pots"
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
Having old-fashioned charm; Strange or odd in an interesting, pleasing, or amusing way; Highly incongruous, inappropriate, or illogical; naive, unreasonable -- usually used ironically; Characterized by cleverness or ingenuity; skillfully wrought or artfully contrived; Overly discriminating or ...
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/quaint
quaintly - in a strange but not unpleasant manner; "the old lady expressed herself somewhat quaintly"
quaintly - in a quaint old-fashioned manner; "the room was quaintly furnished"
quaintness - the quality of being quaint and old-fashioned; "she liked the old cottage; its quaintness was appealing"
quaintness - strangeness as a consequence of being old fashioned; "some words in her dialect had a charming quaintness"
quaintly - In a quaint manner; oddly; strangely
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/quaintly
:sneaky:

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
I gotta figure out how to unsubscribe from this mofo.
no no no no no.

i'm sick in bed so i have nothing better to do for couple of days than post,post,post.

hopefully not h1n1. some chick died here today from it. that would suck if i died before mms came out. man. that would REALLY suck!

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
News Flash: Palm Pre owners did not buy Pre's just because of iTunes integration. I have yet to hear about or read one Palm Pre purchaser say I bought a Pre do to iTunes integration. I also have not heard or read of any perspective Palm Pre owner saying let me rush out and buy a Pre it syncs to iTunes. Heck most Palm Pre users that aren't techies didn't even know that it was possible to sync to iTunes or what iTunes even is for that matter. Look how many first time iPhone users were introduced to iTunes via buying an iPhone.

Second New Flash: If anyone was helping anyone's sales it was Palm helping Apple by directing customers to Apple's media store. Mark
Are you that naive to think that Palm wasn't using iTunes syncing to try and lure iPhone users to the Pre? Either way it is bad businesss for Apple to have their products used by a competitor as a selling point, and breaking that seling point makes Palm look bad, Apple wins, for the moment.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Now I'm really confused. I don't even know what my "opinion" was by saying something was...Definitions of quaint on the Web:

strange in an interesting or pleasing way; "quaint dialect words"; "quaint streets of New Orleans, that most foreign of American cities"
very strange or unusual; odd or even incongruous in character or appearance; "the head terminating in the quaint duck bill which gives the animal its vernacular name"- Bill Beatty; "came forth a quaint and fearful sight"- Sir Walter Scott; "a quaint sense of humor"
old-time: attractively old-fashioned (but not necessarily authentic); "houses with quaint thatched roofs"; "a vaulted roof supporting old-time chimney pots"
Having old-fashioned charm; Strange or odd in an interesting, pleasing, or amusing way; Highly incongruous, inappropriate, or illogical; naive, unreasonable -- usually used ironically; Characterized by cleverness or ingenuity; skillfully wrought or artfully contrived; Overly discriminating or ...
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/quaint
quaintly - in a strange but not unpleasant manner; "the old lady expressed herself somewhat quaintly"
quaintly - in a quaint old-fashioned manner; "the room was quaintly furnished"
quaintness - the quality of being quaint and old-fashioned; "she liked the old cottage; its quaintness was appealing"
quaintness - strangeness as a consequence of being old fashioned; "some words in her dialect had a charming quaintness"
quaintly - In a quaint manner; oddly; strangely
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/quaintly
:sneaky:
You guys are coming at me so hard and fast that I may slip sometime please forgive me. Mark

BTW: Did I mention today how much I love my 3GS. I have had to defend the Pre's honor all day and haven't had time to say. Other than the battery life the 3GS rocks! Heck I haven't even had time to set up my new BB Bold yet. I must take a vacation from EIC soon:dft008:surprised

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
You guys are coming at me so hard and fast that I may slip sometime please forgive me. Mark

BTW: Did I mention today how much I love my 3GS. I have had to defend the Pre's honor all day and haven't had time to say. Other than the battery life the 3GS rocks! Heck I haven't even had time to set up my new BB Bold yet. I must take a vacation from EIC soon:dft008:surprised
No. You just need to take a gadget vacation. All the cellular waves around you are warping your sense of reality. Trust me, I know....:)

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Are you that naive to think that Palm wasn't using iTunes syncing to try and lure iPhone users to the Pre? Either way it is bad businesss for Apple to have their products used by a competitor as a selling point, and breaking that seling point makes Palm look bad, Apple wins, for the moment.
Are you that naive to think there aren't other just as good or better (doubleTwist) syncing options for the Pre? Show me one post anywhere on the web where someone said I bought a Pre for the (half baked) iTunes syncing capabilities. I will then retract my statement as well as give you a heartfelt apology. Mark

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
LOL. This thread has become a Sticky...without becoming a Sticky.

At least it's mostly on topic which is really weird/cool for a thread this big. And for the most part, all the stupid personal attacks are staying away. Keep it up!

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
no no no no no.

i'm sick in bed so i have nothing better to do for couple of days than post,post,post.

hopefully not h1n1. some chick died here today from it. that would suck if i died before mms came out. man. that would REALLY suck!
Please don't talk like that you will live a long productive life. The thought is the cause of it all. I wish you a speedy recovery. Mark

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Fanboy as a term of endearment? I'm sorry Mark, but when confronted regarding your debate style, all logic and believability seem to go out the door with you. Who here do you think is buying that one... really?

I'm not commanding you to do anything, I'm telling you why I think you're a crap debater. No offense.

Perusing this thread, I really only see one person getting heated up about all this, but it's certainly not me. I'll give you 1 guess. :eek:k:eek:k

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
no no no no no.

There was a confirmed case of swine flu at my brother's work last week, so I'm just sitting around waiting to expire.