Traded in my Palm Pre for an iPhone 3GS

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Palm wasn't simply allowing Pre+iTunes users to keep using all of their old Apple media. Palm could write a program to sync all iTunes media, and don't need Apple's approval to do so. They just found a LOOPHOLE in iTunes that allowed them to leech off of another company's years of development. Lazy, if you ask me.

Furthermore, as dave said, it was inevitable. If Apple didn't nip the problem in the bud, palm owners would just be whining when the next major iTunes release came out that didn't support Pre syncing. Only then Pre users would have EXPECTED it to work as before. So either A) Apple breaks Pre syncing and is called a bully in the process, or B) Apple is forced by Palm to maintain iTunes for Pre syncing as a courtesy to a competitor. There was no winning situation for Apple here. IMO, it's Palm that is out of line.

amorican

Jul 7, 2009
Late to the party, but I ditched a Pre for the 3GS too. I miss some things about the Pre, it really has a wonderful OS, but the build quality issues were a deal-breaker, and after owning both, the iPhone wins hands down. I could see myself owning a WebOS device in the future, but the iPhone wins me over for now.

Just an opinion from a fan of both phones who has also owned both.:)

hinky

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
Has a thread this long ever been closed?...sheesh!
I always wondered why some people have this intense need to request closing down long threads. If you need the original info, it's right there at the beginning. If you don't want to read it, don't read it.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
I always wondered why some people have this intense need to request closing down long threads. If you need the original info, it's right there at the beginning. If you don't want to read it, don't read it.
It's in the beginning, the middle, and probably will be wherever the end ends up.

Considering it's a lively discussion between two new offerings from different cellular carriers, I'm surprised it hasn't been locked because of circumstances other than length.

Ya, if it's too long for ya, click <back> on your browser. Bye now.;)

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
We must all be bored (including myself) when we discuss ten pages of iTunes breaks sync with Palm Pre (who really cares). Being a Pre owner I could not expect, did not expect Apple to continue to support a device which Apple did not make. I jumped in the discussion with both feet because it amazed me how so many people that weren't even affected by the sync break were so worried about it.

I can only speak for myself. I do assume that most Pre owners with the least bit of sense weren't even angry about it. You cannot expect a company to support a device that is not theirs. As I stated there was not much to be angry with Apple about. The sync with iTunes for the Pre wasn't some ground shaking experience anyway. I've used the iTunes Pre sync yet I saw it more as a bonus rather than an expectation.

I can still sync my Pre to iTunes as I have not updated to iTunes 8.2.1. However since Apple made such a big deal about it as well as everyone else. I chose to use other software (doubleTwist).

I see so much hypocrisy in this forum. Longtime members all remember the dreaded "Walmart Thread". I was slammed like crazy and the thread became very heated just because I said Apple was cheapening itself by selling iPhones at Walmart. I also said that I didn't agree with the drastic price drop that allowed mass iPhone ownership. The thread turned very nasty at that point. The basics of my comments was keeping the iPhone exclusive to a certain crowd.

Fast forward to many months later and here are the same people who challenged me on my statements making the same type of statements. How can you tell me my statements about iPhone exclusitivity are wrong? Yet saying that iTunes should remain exclusive is alright? iTunes is a media store. Why should it be exclusive to only Apple device owners? Sales practices like this would never fly in the "brick & mortar" world. Why is it allowed to flourish online then? Why is Apple allowed to sale you music yet keep you tied to their store, their device?

I'm only writing this to show the hypocrisy of people. I could really care less if the Pre syncs with iTunes or not. What's really funny is there are people here (and you know who you are) who have expressed their hatred of iTunes and don't even use it. Yet when the masses cries foul that the Pre is syncing to iTunes here they are to cry also.

Another point I wanted to make is this. Why are people not screaming to the high heavens about the iPhones battery life? I know that there are a few threads discussing the battery life. What I'm talking about is if it were any other device than the iPhone everyone would be saying "I'm taking it back". Since it's the almighty iPhone well I guess everyone just deals with it.

Don't get me wrong. I think the 3GS is a great mobile device that is also beautiful. Why can't something be done about the battery life? Most of you would have a field day laughing and talking about it if the Pre's battery were this horrible. Apple gets a pass though.

I was thinking about sticking an Apple logo on my forehead that way even though some don't like me or the things I say. I would always be greeted here with open arms and my flaws would be accepted. Mark

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
We must all be bored (including myself) when we discuss ten pages of iTunes breaks sync with Palm Pre (who really cares). Being a Pre owner I could not expect, did not expect Apple to continue to support a device which Apple did not make. I jumped in the discussion with both feet because it amazed me how so many people that weren't even affected by the sync break were so worried about it.

Perhaps because they were expressing their opinions?

Another point I wanted to make is this. Why are people not screaming to the high heavens about the iPhones battery life? I know that there are a few threads discussing the battery life. What I'm talking about is if it were any other device than the iPhone everyone would be saying "I'm taking it back". Since it's the almighty iPhone well I guess everyone just deals with it.

Don't get me wrong. I think the 3GS is a great mobile device that is also beautiful. Why can't something be done about the battery life? Most of you would have a field day laughing and talking about it if the Pre's battery were this horrible.
Personally, I really don't have an issue with the iPhone battery. I can browse all day, watch video, etc., and it will last most of the day. 3g is the biggest drain, but I suspect that's true of all mobile devices.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Schwagger, I don't think there's any need to revive yet another petty (not to mention off-topic) discussion. Further, I do not see any hypocrites. As far as I can tell, no one is rejoicing because of broken Pre syncing; there have only been people (just like yourself) that understand Apple's decision to kill pre syncing in iTunes. So I don't see why you're so hot and bothered...

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Schwagger, I don't think there's any need to revive yet another petty (not to mention off-topic) discussion. Further, I do not see any hypocrites. As far as I can tell, no one is rejoicing because of broken Pre syncing; there have only been people (just like yourself) that understand Apple's decision to kill pre syncing in iTunes. So I don't see why you're so hot and bothered...
But he doesn't care! He's said that quite a few times in this thread.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
holy geezus this thread took off. I'm completely lost now but I'm betting it's still the same theme.

Mark arguing with everyone else.

Just messin with ya Mark :eek:k:eek:k

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
@All of you,
I take no offense to any of your comment and hope the same vise versa.

Seriously though I am really concerned about my 3GS's battery. I can't even make it through six hours. Since I went from the v1 to the 3GS I missed seeing battery life on the 3G iPhone. Are you guys saying that 3G sucks up that much battery power? Just writing this quick post I lost 2%...Mark

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Swagger said:
Fast forward to many months later and here are the same people who challenged me on my statements making the same type of statements. How can you tell me my statements about iPhone exclusitivity are wrong? Yet saying that iTunes should remain exclusive is alright? iTunes is a media store. Why should it be exclusive to only Apple device owners? Sales practices like this would never fly in the "brick & mortar" world. Why is it allowed to flourish online then? Why is Apple allowed to sale you music yet keep you tied to their store, their device?
Anyone, even Pre owners can use iTunes to purchase and organize their music, videos and whatever else they need. What they cannot do, is use iTunes to sync it to a device other than an iPod or iPhone.

In addition, each mobile device OS developer has their own proprietary software to do just what iTunes does, sync media and information with their device. There is software developed by RIM that does this with Blackberries, software developed by microsoft that does this with windows mobile etc...pretty sure I can't hook up my iPhone and sync it to my wife's blackberry desktop manager....

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
@All of you,
I take no offense to any of your comment and hope the same vise versa.

Seriously though I am really concerned about my 3GS's battery. I can't even make it through six hours. Since I went from the v1 to the 3GS I missed seeing battery life on the 3G iPhone. Are you guys saying that 3G sucks up that much battery power? Just writing this quick post I lost 2%...Mark
i'm experiencing the same kind of battery loss. higher power processor + 3G = more battery use. unfortunately that's par for the course with all of the newer devices. The Pre, Bold, N97 and 3Gs all are pretty close in battery life. Of the four that i've recently used the Bold would be the best followed by the 3GS.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Anyone, even Pre owners can use iTunes to purchase and organize their music, videos and whatever else they need. What they cannot do, is use iTunes to sync it to a device other than an iPod or iPhone.

In addition, each mobile device OS developer has their own proprietary software to do just what iTunes does, sync media and information with their device. There is software developed by RIM that does this with Blackberries, software developed by microsoft that does this with windows mobile etc...pretty sure I can't hook up my iPhone and sync it to my wife's blackberry desktop manager....
Why would you even want to? BB desktop media sync sucks. Anyway I get your point and it's well taken. Mark