Traded in my Palm Pre for an iPhone 3GS

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Oh I almost forgot. My battery life improved like crazy today for some reason. I've been using the 3GS all day today and I'm still at 79%. The only thing I did differently last night is charge via USB hub as oppose to wall outlet. Have I discovered a miracle? Mark

BTW: how could I forget this? Facebook does NOT crash on the Pre (HaHa).

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
Ok so to you who have had both the TREO or Pre and the iPhone. The programs I use the most are :

Calendar or (Datebook as they call it now) - I use the alarm on each entry for example I have when my driver's license is going to expire in a few years and it will let me know 30 days in advance. Also for sooner things like I use it every day to wake me up in the morning.

Documents to Go - I have to use an excel program for work everyday since I'm not in an office and it works great in the TREO.

Address - all my friends and family and work contact info is in there with phone numbers, emails, addresses, etc.

Memos - lots of memos in alphabetical order so they're easy to find.

PdaNet for tethering - well I was already told there's an app for that and you guys gave me the link here.

SO does the Phone have any app that will take all of that info and place it in a program on the iPhone? It's lots of information to copy over and the calendar has information many years into the future like license expirations, birthdays, renewals, etc !

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
FB app is fine. Once you get into the 3.1b1 and b2 I think it will play nice. I haven't had one crash on betas, even when uploading pics. Shake to reload works again, too.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
Oh I almost forgot. My battery life improved like crazy today for some reason. I've been using the 3GS all day today and I'm still at 79%. The only thing I did differently last night is charge via USB hub as oppose to wall outlet. Have I discovered a miracle? Mark

BTW: how could I forget this? Facebook does NOT crash on the Pre (HaHa).
I've been trying to tell people that when you first get the phone, not all the battery cells are 100% chargeable. It takes energizing/de-energizing to make the cells come to a state of full capacity. Hopefully you are getting to that state from your experience, but every new Li-Ion Polymer battery device I have reacts the same. It takes a couple weeks to a month of constant topping off and usage of the cells in the battery to get the full capacity.

In my MBP I bought last October, there was a program called Cocoa Battery. It showed me firsthand when I first got the computer that the battery wasn't 100% chargeable and I would only last about 4 hours on a charge. Then after using the computer and topping it off every day, it eventually got to like 105% chargeable and lasted about 5 1/2 hours.

So, hopefully, everyone's S batteries are going to finally take a better charge and everyone will have a good outcome like you.

Time will tell. Hell, the phones have only been out ONE month.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Ok so to you who have had both the TREO or Pre and the iPhone. The programs I use the most are :

Calendar or (Datebook as they call it now) - I use the alarm on each entry for example I have when my driver's license is going to expire in a few years and it will let me know 30 days in advance. Also for sooner things like I use it every day to wake me up in the morning.

Documents to Go - I have to use an excel program for work everyday since I'm not in an office and it works great in the TREO.

Address - all my friends and family and work contact info is in there with phone numbers, emails, addresses, etc.

PdaNet for tethering - well I was already told there's an app for that and you guys gave me the link here.

SO does the Phone have any app that will take all of that info and place it in a program on the iPhone? It's lots of information to copy over and the calendar has information many years into the future like license expirations, birthdays, renewals, etc !
I used Google for wireless address, calendar and email sync on the Pre. On the iPhone I use MobileMe for contacts, calendar, Push email, remote file access and iTunes backs up notes. You can also transfer all your info from Documents to Go to Outlook then sync to iPhone. I have a Sprint data card so I don't tether. Mark

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I've been trying to tell people that when you first get the phone, not all the battery cells are 100% chargeable. It takes energizing/de-energizing to make the cells come to a state of full capacity. Hopefully you are getting to that state from your experience, but every new Li-Ion Polymer battery device I have reacts the same. It takes a couple weeks to a month of constant topping off and usage of the cells in the battery to get the full capacity.

In my MBP I bought last October, there was a program called Cocoa Battery. It showed me firsthand when I first got the computer that the battery wasn't 100% chargeable and I would only last about 4 hours on a charge. Then after using the computer and topping it off every day, it eventually got to like 105% chargeable and lasted about 5 1/2 hours.

So, hopefully, everyone's S batteries are going to finally take a better charge and everyone will have a good outcome like you.

Time will tell. Hell, the phones have only been out ONE month.
Theoretically, then, I should be getting better battery life pretty soon, since I keep killing it with my battery tests :eek:k:eek:k

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
I used Google for wireless address, calendar and email sync on the Pre. On the iPhone I use MobileMe for contacts, calendar, Push email, remote file access and iTunes backs up notes. You can also transfer all your info from Documents to Go to Outlook then sync to iPhone. I have a Sprint data card so I don't tether. Mark
Documents to Go only has 6 documents that I use every day so that's not a big deal but all the info in the calendar, address, and memos part of Palm Desktop program is nuts to think I'd have to type all that into the iPhone. As long as I can do it then I'll try to figure it out later HOW to do it or I'll come back and ask next week when I have the phone in my hand.

That just brought up another question. When you delete something in the calendar section of the TREO it stores it in an archive. I've used that to look up things hundreds of times this year. Does the program you use archive deleted appointments? For example I had to find out when I went to a place a couple of years ago and just opened the archives and did a search and there it was. I'll keep that archive up to now because I can access it on the laptop without the phone but for new things from now on, will your program MobileMe do it?

Damn now I'm anxious and can't wait until Wednesday. You guys have been so much help and now I'm hooked !

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Documents to Go only has 6 documents that I use every day so that's not a big deal but all the info in the calendar, address, and memos part of Palm Desktop program is nuts to think I'd have to type all that into the iPhone. As long as I can do it then I'll try to figure it out later HOW to do it or I'll come back and ask next week when I have the phone in my hand.

That just brought up another question. When you delete something in the calendar section of the TREO it stores it in an archive. I've used that to look up things hundreds of times this year. Does the program you use archive deleted appointments? For example I had to find out when I went to a place a couple of years ago and just opened the archives and did a search and there it was. I'll keep that archive up to now because I can access it on the laptop without the phone but for new things from now on, will your program MobileMe do it?

Damn now I'm anxious and can't wait until Wednesday. You guys have been so much help and now I'm hooked !
Aerocare,
Thanks we aim to please. No MobileMe does not archive deleted events. Work around set reminder for every year. We are glad you are here answering questions improves our skills. When you habe phone in hand I can help you transfer data from Palm to iPhone. Have a great weekend. Mark

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
Theoretically, then, I should be getting better battery life pretty soon, since I keep killing it with my battery tests :eek:k:eek:k
In theory, yes. Like I said, though, time will tell. Having gone through 3 Macs, 5 iPhones, and countless other devices with polymer batteries, they ALL end up lasting longer with typical use.

You should just keep using the phone.

One note. I think if you leave the phone plugged into a charger too long, it will in fact go into a trickle discharge state and actually run off of the battery while not charging. I think it keeps the cells in the battery from being too stressed and dormant, and lets them deplete. This happens on my MBP and when the plugged in, the MBP will actually get down to 97% or so, then it will recharge to 100%.

The way it looks to work on the phone, is if you leave your phone plugged in for a few hours after 100%, it will still read 100% while plugged in. But the second you unlplug the charger, it drops to 99%.

But when I charge to 100% and take the phone off the charger within an hour, I will have 100% battery for at least 30-60 minutes of use.

It's kind of like "Overcharge Protection".

Make sense? If not, I'll try to explain better. Right now got all this C programming crap in my head.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Not to nitpick but the iPhone's battery has only one cell. In the case of li-ion/poly the nominal voltage of a single cell is 3.7v, with a max charge around 4.2v.

--
Mike

mike546

Jul 3, 2009
Glad to see this thread is still going, I've gotten some great information. I did get a little scared in the middle when someone mentioned dancing and sliding around the house listening to Prince, almost made me go back to the Pre. Keep up the good work guys I'm getting a great edjamacation!

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
I'm glad you started this thread. With all the info I got I decided to go with the iPhone instead of the Pre and I'm getting it as soon as I have a day off work.

AeroCare

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2009
All over the World !
Yeah, just trying to figure out how I'm going to keep my original number. I have 2 phones. Phone A has it's contract expired so I can disconnect it. Phone B has a contract and they're going to give me the iPhone with that number. Problem is that I want the number from phone A to go to the iPhone and disconnect the phone B number. Any ideas?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
One note. I think if you leave the phone plugged into a charger too long, it will in fact go into a trickle discharge state and actually run off of the battery while not charging. I think it keeps the cells in the battery from being too stressed and dormant, and lets them deplete.
I wouldn't think this is occurring on the iPhone. Lithium-based batteries, such as the iPhone's, have a very low self-discharge rate, and a limited number of charge cycles before degading. If the charging circuitry regularly discharged the battery it would be using up valuable charge cycles, for no real benefit. Instead I would expect it to monitor the battery level and then top off if and when needed.

The charging circuitry is probably the norm for lithium-based batts: fast charge to around 80% then trickle charge to 100%.

A problem with li-ion batteries in portable devices is matching the battery to the "fuel gauge" in the device. Unlike, let's say a car's gas tank, which has a definite physical means to check remaining fuel, the relationship between the iPhone's battery and its battery meter is not so direct. It has to, essentially, estimate when it has safely charged to capacity, as well as drained to its limit.

You can help the battery and the "fuel gauge" stay in sync. This is generally referred to as "calibrating" and doing it can indeed improve battery life. This involves running the battery down to empty, and then fully charging it. Apple recommends doing this about once per month. While you are using a charging cycle, hopefully you can do it by actually using the battery. And while it's generally considered unwise to let lithium batts get too low, the charging circuitry in the iPhone/battery will not let that happen (but I certainly wouldn't drain the battery and then store the iPhone for an extended period of time!)

Here is good info on lithium batteries:
http://batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

One enemy of lihium batteries is heat. If your iPhone is charged in a case, and the case and iPhone are getting noticeably hot, it's probably not doing the battery much good.

--
Mike

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona

I used a Treo before moving to an iPhone. I synced with Outlook on the Treo, and now with the iPhone, so everything moved over nicely.

I don't see it here but I thought you said you kept your PIM data in Palm Desktop (Memos, contacts, calendar, to-do). If so, and if you have Outlook, there should be a way for you to move the Palm Desktop data over to Outlook.

Once in Outlook you can either just use that to sync to iTunes, or use another option such as Mobile Me.

There is no built-in to-do app on the iPhone so those will not be synced (but if you move the data from Palm Desktop to Outlook they will be in Outlook).

As for Excel files, if you want to keep them onboard the iPhone, for viewing only, there are a myriad of apps that will do that--some free.

If you want to edit Excel files, you can use Mariner Calc to both edit XLS files and to copy them to and from the iPhone.

--
Mike

hinky

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
If you are using Windows, your options are very, very different. Personally I didn't care to pay for MobileMe on top of all this and there are also limited benefits when you're on a PC. If that's what you're looking at, I'll pipe up with what I've discovered after many hours of scouring for information about a similar transition.