Traded iPhone 3G...

Jul 22, 2009
If I trade my current Blackberry Curve for an iPhone 3G, will I still be able to connect the iPhone to iTunes and stuff?

A friend of mine wants to trade, and I want an iPhone... So it works.

I want to be able to buy apps and what not, plus sync my music!

Dustu2

Bronze
Jul 16, 2008
Houston, TX
If they are both on AT&T(at least as far as I know), then you should just be able to pop in your SIM and be good to go. But since it is your friend... Why not just check first? Have him come over to your house, pop in your SIM card, and then see what happens.

Jul 22, 2009
He's not an actual physical buddy. Just someone I've been talking to.

They are both ATT. I was thinking, I could just strip the device and install a new OS and it should work, right?

Dustu2

Bronze
Jul 16, 2008
Houston, TX
Wait, so do you plan on meeting up with this person? Because if you can't see them face to face and get some contact info, I wouldn't trade. Mailing things to people never goes well, from what I've heard.

Jul 22, 2009
Oh no, no! He lives in the same town as me, we just haven't met. I will ensure we have a face to face meet when we do the actual trade.

I have 2 phones right now, a Quickfire and the BB I mentioned before... So having another touchphone troubles me.

What's your experience with the iPhone like Dustu2?

Dustu2

Bronze
Jul 16, 2008
Houston, TX
Personally, I love my iPhone. I ADORE it. It makes life so simple! But keep in mind that I don't use it for businesss or anything else. It's not ONLY the fact that I can check my email, reply to this thread, read about the newest technology via Engadget, upload photos to Photobucket, talk to people on Myspace/Facebook, cheat on my Spanish tests, connect to Twitter wherever I go, Play some of the best mobile games ever(Tap Tap Revenge is such a time waster), look up movie times and locations, etc etc etc... But it is all so easy to do! The interface that the iPhone uses is SO simple to get used to and become fond of, it still impresses me from time to time.

That's just my opinion though. :eek:k:eek:k

But seriously, if you get a chance to own one, and it turns out to be legitimate, I would not hesitate. They are wonderful devices.

(And, despite how much I love it, there is the occasional flaw. Those are easily learned of though, just look around the forum a bit. People never stop complaining.)

Jul 22, 2009
I want one SO bad now! I regret buying the Quickfire, when I could have gotten the 3G :(

He hasn't replied since I sent him pictures of my phone :( The phone's in great condition, but ARGH!

Dustu2

Bronze
Jul 16, 2008
Houston, TX
Heh, I definitely know your pain. Why not sell the Quickfire and BB, and use that money to get an iPhone? Get a 3GS, if you can.

Jul 23, 2009
I currently own a BB Bold 9000, iPhone 3G and the new iPhone 3GS. No I didn't buy these, I get to test for my work and provide reviews on each new device. Then keep then when reviews are finished. Great job!

You can swap the BB SIM with the iPhone but only if you have the 3.1 B2. 3.0 release killed the SIM swap. Now if you swap you will get a no data service error.

I am running the iPhone 3.1 b2 on both iPhones. I would only ever recommend the 3GS if looking for a iPhone. None of the previous release even come close to the speed of the new one.

I use to have to carry my BB as a back to the 3G cause getting emails was a painful experience. A lot of blank pages would load. Or would say loading for ever.

Short of the story is if you plan to swap you may want to go with the 3.1 b2 and register your UDID with a developer to be able to activate the OS through iTunes.

Hope this helps. If you need help with the 3.1 B2 download install and register of UDID contact this dude.

wynndc@yahoo.com He helped me and walked me through some settings as well.

Jul 22, 2009
I currently own a BB Bold 9000, iPhone 3G and the new iPhone 3GS. No I didn't buy these, I get to test for my work and provide reviews on each new device. Then keep then when reviews are finished. Great job!

You can swap the BB SIM with the iPhone but only if you have the 3.1 B2. 3.0 release killed the SIM swap. Now if you swap you will get a no data service error.

I am running the iPhone 3.1 b2 on both iPhones. I would only ever recommend the 3GS if looking for a iPhone. None of the previous release even come close to the speed of the new one.

I use to have to carry my BB as a back to the 3G cause getting emails was a painful experience. A lot of blank pages would load. Or would say loading for ever.

Short of the story is if you plan to swap you may want to go with the 3.1 b2 and register your UDID with a developer to be able to activate the OS through iTunes.

Hope this helps. If you need help with the 3.1 B2 download install and register of UDID contact this dude.

wynndc@yahoo.com He helped me and walked me through some settings as well.
I'm sorry, but what? I don't know what any of that meant... :/ Sorry! Haha. I don't know much about the iPhone's OS.

Jul 22, 2009
Heh, I definitely know your pain. Why not sell the Quickfire and BB, and use that money to get an iPhone? Get a 3GS, if you can.
Well I know I can get about $130 for the BB and probably $140 for the Quickfire (if the buyer doesn't know about the explodey part), but as far as I know I can't buy an iPhone without a 2 year contract, which I just renewed mine in November :/

But if I do the trade, I'm going to test out the iPhone first. To ensure my sim card works with it. I have a 3g sim card, I think? I got it with my Quickfire, which has 3g.

Jul 22, 2009
Hey guys, what does Jailbroken and Unlocked mean?
It doesn't sound good... If it's bad I'll have to ask the trader if it is!

dette

Bronze
Jan 8, 2009
If you have the option to trade you BB I would do it! I have used the BB and I don't like the interface as much as my iPhone(I had the 3G and now the 3GS).. I have used 5 Windows mobile phone variants.. But never actually owned a BB sadly.
You could easily Jailbreak and Unlock your iPhone to swap SIM's much easier..

Jailbreaking your iPhone is basically running non Apple signed code on your iPhone via a third party program from the iPhone Dev Team or GeoHot (creator of purplera1n)
it will unlock your device so you can run themes, extensions, run things in the background, and run many many many apps you cannot get from the App Store that you CAN use if you have a jailbroken phone! If you get the iPHone I highly recommend you jailbreak for the most functionality.
Unlocking will just be unlocking so that you can use any SIM card you want in your iPhone so for example you could take it to T-Mobile if you unlock it and use your T-Mobile SIM.
So that is a good way to swap AT&T SIM's simply

dette

Bronze
Jan 8, 2009
Wouldn't that make a warranty void, if it has one?
technically YES but! If you restore your iPhone they have absolutely no way of knowing that you have Jailbroken or Unlocked so your golden :D.. Sometimes they wont even care but don't count on that.. Just restore and your good to go! :D
Its well worth it trust me! It opens the iPhone up to many many many more possibilities like: themes, 3rd party apps that didn't get into the app store, apps that use functions that Apple would never allow like alternate texting apps(quickreply for example allows you to reply to texts within any app!), backgrounding of applications, and much much more!

Jul 22, 2009
Thanks Dette! When I got it, I hope you'll help me out man!

I just realized I wont need my iPod, since it's 16gbs, so I can sale that for like $40, my quickfire for >$150 and then the iPhone 3g for $200

Then I'll have nearly $400, and I can buy a brand new 3GS!

dette

Bronze
Jan 8, 2009
Thanks Dette! When I got it, I hope you'll help me out man!

I just realized I wont need my iPod, since it's 16gbs, so I can sale that for like $40, my quickfire for >$150 and then the iPhone 3g for $200

Then I'll have nearly $400, and I can buy a brand new 3GS!
Nice! The 3GS is definitely worth it! I have had the 3G and the 3GS now and I can tell you theres a HUGE difference in speed! If I couldnt get the 3GS I would still take the 3G because it is a fantastic phone but the iPhone 3GS definitely shoes noticeable improvements.
By the way you can get more then $200 for the iPhone 3G. I sold my iPhone 3G Black 8GB with AppleCare for $350 and that was low sadly :( since I had AppleCare on it.. But You could get at least $300 for the iPhone if its 8GB and more if its 16GB

Sure man I would be happy to help you out. Hit me up on AIM or on here or on Email or whatever you like!

P.S. Here is a link as to why you should Jailbreak
http://thebigboss.org/why-jailbreak-iphone/

Jul 22, 2009
It's $329 on the ATT site for a refurb, so you have to go lower than industry standards...

And alright man! I followed you on twitter. Mines /jerkyjoe Thanks for all your help too :D

dette

Bronze
Jan 8, 2009
It's $329 on the ATT site for a refurb, so you have to go lower than industry standards...

And alright man! I followed you on twitter. Mines /jerkyjoe Thanks for all your help too :D
No problem.. Just check out eBay and look at what the 3G is going for on there! People are willing to pay because they can get it without a contract.
But thanks for the follow :)