traffic with maps

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

JnC

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Where do the maps come from: Google
What is the online equivalent called: Google Maps
Does the online equivalent have a "Traffic View": Yes
How can I search for what the colors in Traffic View mean: Use Google, search for Google Maps, navigate there, bring up help

I'm not trying to be a smartass, but it's not a big mystery to unravel how to get information off of the internet. So here is what i found:

Traffic - This is identical to the Map view, but also shows traffic conditions if they area available in the area currently displayed. Red depicts heavy traffic, yellow depicts slow traffic, green depicts normal speed and gray indicates that no traffic information is currently available.

So just think of it like a traffic light, except in this case Yellow does not mean "go faster". ;)

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
From Google:

Green: more than 50 miles per hour
Yellow: 25 - 50 miles per hour
Red: less than 25 miles per hour
Gray: no data currently available

Not sure about purple.

stevenlue

Jul 12, 2007
Don't put your faith in the traffic feature. I live in NY and drive to NYC 4 times a week. Everytime I get stuck in a traffic jam on the highway I check my phone to see if the traffic is on Google Maps and I have yet to see it show up in red or yellow. I don't know how often the traffic info is updated but it can't be that often.

vansouza

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
Las Vegas, NV USA
www.usheroes.us
Thanks for asking that question ...

because it made me go to the iPhone manual and helped me to realize how really useful this little puppy is. For instance, my favorite Chinese food place is now Korean food... so I keyed in Chinese food and bam... found a few close to home I had no idea were there. Very impressed...

spacerog

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
www.spacerogue.net
Don't put your faith in the traffic feature. I live in NY and drive to NYC 4 times a week. Everytime I get stuck in a traffic jam on the highway I check my phone to see if the traffic is on Google Maps and I have yet to see it show up in red or yellow. I don't know how often the traffic info is updated but it can't be that often.
It is pretty acruate for Boston area. It seems to update about every 10 minutes but I have found that traffic conditions tend to change even faster than that. It is good enoughfor em to figure out when to leave work for the ride home though.

- SR

I think this feature also is restricted to "Major" cities i.e. L.A., New York, Boston, Chicago, Miami, Dallas, etc. I live in Greenville,SC and contrary to the impressions of people from other parts of the country we can have some serious traffic problems. At least I have never seen anything reported for Greenville when I have checked.

spacerog

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
www.spacerogue.net
Correct it only works for certian cities. Cities that have installed the necessary infrastructure for real time monitoring of traffic. There are numerous companies that are providing the traffic info like SmartRoutes and NavTeq. It is just not available in all cities yet.

I used to use websites like traffic.com to check traffic before I left work but those are way to slow, even loading up googlemaps on the computers is slower than turning on the iPhone. So I just use iPhone now.

- SR

Owen

Jul 14, 2007
It has been working great in the Providence, RI area also. Which isn't a major city and is undergoing a huge highway/bridge reconstruction.

thegasguru

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
Correct it only works for certian cities. Cities that have installed the necessary infrastructure for real time monitoring of traffic. There are numerous companies that are providing the traffic info like SmartRoutes and NavTeq. It is just not available in all cities yet.

I used to use websites like traffic.com to check traffic before I left work but those are way to slow, even loading up googlemaps on the computers is slower than turning on the iPhone. So I just use iPhone now.

- SR
I have my commute routes set up in traffic.com, and I think it's WAY easier to load those pages now with my iPhone than it was with any of my previous smartphones (except for the BlackJack, which had 3G). Also, using WiFi on the iPhone, the page loads just as fast as it does on my desktop. You still find that's too slow? I usually check as I'm walking out the door from home or work. By the time I'm pulling out of the garage, the page has long been fully loaded. Since I have two different routes I can take - both on highways - traffic.com is a lifesaver for me. My commutes are very traffic and highway-accident dependent.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
It doesn't show anything at all for Baton Rouge, either. I mean, the map works fine, but no traffic report, at all.
I get nothing when i turn it on, at all.

Ybor2448

May 14, 2009
Maps with traffic seems to report better than my Garmin with the FM traffic receiver in the Tampa to Orlando I-4 area.

[Oh, my wife compares while I drive.]