Tragedy Strikes! Full Blown Disaster Averted

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I got tired of reading the OP after the 1st 20 paragraphs LOL j/k. Yeah, rice and ziplock, then replace the phone as this seldom works :)
I've read lots of success stories with this method. But he did decrease his chances of it working when he powered it on and attempted to use it the same day.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
@bballrob

The Golden iPhone! NO! NO! Say it isn't so. Maybe this is just a bad dream! Dag on it man!

Sorry this happened to you. It's pretty hard to be without your iPhone for days let alone a week or more at a time. Glad you're trying the rice treatment. Keep us posted as to the progress with that.

Congrats on getting the Apple Care coverage. I also always get it with my iPhones. I get a refund for the remaining coverage on my previous iPhone and apply that to the purchase of my new coverage. I've done this for a few iPhone upgrades now. It's great because I don't have to pay the full $99 every year.

I'm glad you got the coverage. you may certainly need to take advantage of it for this little mishap.

Mthoroughbred

Zealot
Silver
Dec 16, 2008
I never thought it could happen to me, and then today, in the wee hours of the morning, it did.

I've heard many stories of phones ending up in toilets. And each time I've said, "How'd they do that?" I had also heard that most of those incidences happened to women. That was a little understandable given how many of them I see carrying their phones in their back pocket. I can visualize them entering the bathroom, and as they undo their trousers and begin to back up in the direction of the porcelain relievatory, the phone could easily slip out of that back pocket and into the abyss. But this could never happen to me, could it?

This morning, as I often do, I awoke to watch College GameDay on ESPN. While that show begins at 9 AM according to the regular promotions it receives on ESPN, here in the great state of Alaska, that means 5 AM, which is well before the crack of dawn. Hell, kickoff of the first game of the day at 8 AM local time is still well before sunrise at this time of year -- 9:33 AM for the official sunrise today, but I digress.

So this morning, I made my way down to the couch a few minutes after 5 AM. I was just settling in to enjoy the show, do a little web surfing, forum reading, and basketball rule review since my referee season kicks off later this afternoon. Then, the urge hit. So, I got up and tucked my Golden iPhone into the chest pocket of the t-shirt I had slipped on this morning. I entered the restroom and closed the door. I reached down to lift the sear, and then leaned forward to rest my hand on the wall in front of me as I sometimes do as I begin my businesss in the stand up position. And then it happened. Just before I began to change the color of the water in the bowl from clear to a tint of yellow, it happened. Somehow, I managed to knock the Golden iPhone from my chest pocket, and straight into the toilet bowl below! I couldn't believe my eyes. I quickly snatched it out and began to assess the damage.

I popped the phone out of the clear Adopted case, one of only 2 cases I deemed worthy due to it's ability to show off the glory of the iPhone while still offering some protection and full functionality of TouchID. After grabbing the nearst towel and drying it off as best I could, I started to test functionality. The screen was starting to flicker a bit, and icons were appearing blurry. This wasn't going to end well. I immediately went to the pantry in search of rice. I found a container of brown rice. I grabbed it out, and placed the phone in a quart sized Ziploc Bag, and then filled the bag with rice, covering the Golden iPhone from view. I sealed the bag, and started to do some critical research.

I knew that AppleCare+ could be added within the first month of ownership of a new iPhone. Or at least I was pretty sure. I went to the online Apple store and started looking. Found AppleCare+ and began to read the fine print. Did a quick search for WATER. Nothing found. That was good news, because I couldn't remember if water damage was excluded from coverage.(I did later find a reference to liquid damage, but not as an exclusion.) I also found that I was slightly incorrect, especially given the time that we were looking at here. The period within which AppleCare could be added was actually 30 days, which is a month, generally speaking.

Next step: find the date of purchase. As defined, date of purchase is the date the phone is shipped and your credit card is charged. I had ordered my Golden iPhone just a few minutes after midnight, and unfortunately,(or maybe fortunately), didn't make the first wave of shipping dates. I logged into Wells Fargo online and did a search for APPLE. First hit was on an airport extreme purchase I made at an Apple store a couple weeks ago. The next hit was the $299 charge for my Golden Phone, and the date of the charge was October 3. Today, is November 2. Day 30, post purchase. I Was in luck. As my Golden iPhone lay recovering in a bed of Brown rice on the couch beside, I grabbed the landline phone and dialed the number. When the Apple representative came on the line, I told him that I wanted to purchase AppleCare+ to my recent iPhone purchase. He transferred me to the appropriate department, and the recording said the wait would be less than 5 minutes. I decided to switch the Golden iPhone on again to see how things were looking. The initial white screen with the black Apple in the middle showed some blurriness. Once the lock screen appeared, the blurriness was no longer evident. This was a good sign. Once the next Apple rep came on the phone and I told him what I wanted to do, he said he'd just need the Serial number, which I was able to quickly retrieve from the Settings screen on the phone. The coverage was added. I was in good shape.

After completing the call, I began to test functionality some more. I tried to play a song from the music app. Sound was not normal. A bit on the quiet side, and some odd vibration going on as well. I placed a call to the Golden iPhone from my home line. The Imperial March star wars ringtone sounded pretty normal, but again the internal vibrating sound is evident. Shut it down, and back into the bed of brown rice.

An hour or so later, more functionality tests. Power up appears normal. No blurriness, however, across the top at the edge of the screen, some black spots spaced intermittently. The music now plays at a normal volume, but some vibration still persists. I still haven't tested any actual phone call capability so see if the microphone has been affected. Nor have I plugged in any headphones to see how they work, or don't.

I do feel better now that I have added the AppleCare+ coverage. I've never purchased it in the past, cause "those things won't happen to me." I couldn't have been more wrong.
You did right by doing that "the rice I mean" but for future buy silica you can get it at amazon it's the same stuff they use when you buy a new pair of shoes (the little baggies that you find inside them) they really take the moisture out a lot faster almost instantaneous.

Sent using iCafe app

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
That was great story telling. bballbob! Ever consider writing a book? Or short stories? I can't wait for the sequel. Hopefully a happy ending.

Sent on iPhone 5 using iCafe app
If there's going to be an author in our family, it will be my wife writing children's books someday. My 10th grade English teacher often said I was a good writer "when I applied myself." I also had a partner at a CPA firm I worked for tell me he wished I worked on more of his jobs due to my writing skills.

I have no literary ambitions though.

I will be attempting to power up the Golden iPhone later today. I will keep you posted.

Sent using iCafe app

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I have my own horror story about my phone taking a dive.
This summer, I decided to me "Joe Cool" and throw my phone in a lifeproof Frē case into a pool. I went in right after it and retrieved it from the 3 ft deep section.
As I pulled it up out if the water, I discovered to my dismay that the port door was wide open. I immediately powered off the phone and shook it out as best I could and left it standing on a towel for the remaining water to try and drain out.
About 40 minutes later, I took it out of the case, which turned it on since the button was pushed passing out of the case. The whole back of the phone was wet, as well as all the buttons and ports. Just the front of the phone was dry.
I held it upright and brought it home (I was at my next door neighbor's house) and stuck it in a bag of rice and set it next to the window.
I got lucky. Even though water obviously got into the charging port, nothing shorted out, and I was using the phone late that evening. In fact, except 2 reboots since the 4th of July (well, it was that weekend), my phone has been on and running fine.

Sent using iCafe app

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
It is a glorious day. The Golden iPhone 5S has been successfuly revived. I am now truly grateful for two things that are produced en mass in China -- Apple products and Rice.

It was a rough few days without my Golden iPhone. I watched helplessly as it lay motionless in a bag of rice. I felt so helpless. Almost as bad as the day I watched one of my sons, just 20 month so old, being wheeled off to surgery to have a multi-cystic displastic kidney removed. But just as my son bounced back S strong as ever, so too does the Golden iPhone seem as vibrant as ever. All signs indicate a full recovery has occurred.

I have truly been blessed by the God of Apple and the God of Rice, who is probably the same God, without end!

Sent using iCafe app

It is a glorious day. The Golden iPhone 5S has been successfuly revived. I am now truly grateful for two things that are produced en mass in China -- Apple products and Rice.

It was a rough few days without my Golden iPhone. I watched helplessly as it lay motionless in a bag of rice. I felt so helpless. Almost as bad as the day I watched one of my sons, just 20 month so old, being wheeled off to surgery to have a multi-cystic displastic kidney removed. But just as my son bounced back S strong as ever, so too does the Golden iPhone seem as vibrant as ever. All signs indicate a full recovery has occurred.

I have truly been blessed by the God of Apple and the God of Rice, who is probably the same God, without end!

Sent using iCafe app
Well congrats. Now watch out for that golden water next time ;)

Sent using iCafe app

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
It was a rough few days without my Golden iPhone. I watched helplessly as it lay motionless in a bag of rice. I felt so helpless. Almost as bad as the day I watched one of my sons, just 20 month so old, being wheeled off to surgery to have a multi-cystic displastic kidney removed.
Wow... Comparing an iPhone sitting in rice to a surgery on a family member. First time I've ever heard that one. I understand it's a sarcastic type comparison, but wow.
Glad both 'devices' seen to be working well now. ;)

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey

Sent using iCafe app
HOLY SMOKES! EUREKA IT WORKED! This is AMAZING NEWS! @bballrob I'm so glad your glorious Golden iPhone 5s has been revived by the Apple God's and the God of Rice. Steve Jobs would be proud you followed through with the Rice plan, and was able to get Apple Care+ on your Golden iPhone as well.

CONGRATS ON A REVIVED GOLDEN iPhone 5s!

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL

Sent using iCafe app
Wouldn't it be nice if all our iOS bugs and problems could be fixed in a bowl of rice? There would be no need for AppleCare+ and all the Genius bars would close. I'm glad about your success!

Sent on iPhone 5 using iCafe app

Nov 13, 2013
Congrats on the revival! I was also thinking about this the other day while I was in the men's restroom at the college. The bowls have, I swear, gigantic openings and my only thought was, why am I holding my phone right now underneath my chin?

Docd

Contributor
Silver
Oct 16, 2011
@bballrob

Congrats on getting the Apple Care coverage. I also always get it with my iPhones. I get a refund for the remaining coverage on my previous iPhone and apply that to the purchase of my new coverage. I've done this for a few iPhone upgrades now. It's great because I don't have to pay the full $99 every year.
I was told by and Apple store rep that they didn't do this anymore. Is this not the case?

Sent from my iPhone using

Last edited by a moderator:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I was told by and Apple store rep that they didn't do this anymore. Is this not the case?
I think it depends on who you talk to. A couple years ago they wouldn't budge if you didn't purchase it along with the phone (even if you did take it into an Apple Store for inspection). I know that @Napoleon PhoneApart was able to add it onto his iPhone 5 over the phone a couple hours after receiving it from UPS. Until @bballrob posted, as far as I knew the current rule was that it could be added within one month of purchase but only if it was physically taken into an Apple Store and inspected. Someone else here broke their 5s a few days after purchase and Apple let them purchase AppleCare+ when they took it in and use the first instance for that replacement.

Docd

Contributor
Silver
Oct 16, 2011
I think it depends on who you talk to. A couple years ago they wouldn't budge if you didn't purchase it along with the phone (even if you did take it into an Apple Store for inspection). I know that @Napoleon PhoneApart was able to add it onto his iPhone 5 over the phone a couple hours after receiving it from UPS. Until @bballrob posted, as far as I knew the current rule was that it could be added within one month of purchase but only if it was physically taken into an Apple Store and inspected. Someone else here broke their 5s a few days after purchase and Apple let them purchase AppleCare+ when they took it in and use the first instance for that replacement.
I was talking about a refund on the unused part of the AppleCare+

Sent from my iPhone using

Last edited by a moderator:

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
I'm not really sure which part of that T-Mobile video is funnier, the fact that the subject matter hits so close to home, or the dude trying to wipe his cheek off on his shirt sleeve while rinsing the phone off at the end of the commercial.

Sent using iCafe app from the Golden iPhone

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I'm not really sure which part of that T-Mobile video is funnier, the fact that the subject matter hits so close to home, or the dude trying to wipe his cheek off on his shirt sleeve while rinsing the phone off at the end of the commercial.

Sent using iCafe app from the Golden iPhone
I thought that was a nice touch as well. Great commercial.