Transfer App Store Apps From iPhone to iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod Touch' started by nobbie, Oct 7, 2008.

1. nobbie

nobbie New Member
    Bronze

There might be a distinct possibility that I'll be switching phones in the near future. I'd still like to keep my AppStore applications I downloaded and installed on my iPhone. I'll wipe the iPhone clean, of course, before selling it. But, is there a way to transfer them? I do own them, afterall.

Just wondering.

2. kokogirl

kokogirl New Member
    Gold

I am assuming that you bought the apps on your phone and not on iTunes on your computer. Next time you sync with iTunes, there is a place where you click transfer purchases from iPhone. If you cannot find it, reply back and I will respond with better instructions from my computer. I am on iPhone now.

3. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

yep, Koko is right. Just make sure the apps are synced to your iTunes Library. Then when you sync an ipod touch in the future, they should transfer to the touch just fine.

4. nobbie

nobbie New Member
    Bronze

Cool, thanks!

5. kokogirl

kokogirl New Member
    Gold

Did you find where to do that in iTunes?

6. Uber25206

Uber25206 New Member

hey can anybody tell me if by doing that i could keep my progress on a game or any app thanks !

7. Mathew Connelly

Bronze

Uber25206, using the Transfer Purchases function in iTunes will only transfer the app files and not the app data (such as game-saves that go with it).

I am not quite sure whether iOS backups, store app data though. iOS backups are effectuated for your iOS device either by iTunes (upon iTunes sync) or through the iCloud (depending on your iPhone settings and iOS version). To enable iOS backups via the iCloud, considering you are transferring from your iPhone to your iPod Touch and you are using iOS 5 + on both your iPhone and iPod, go to your iPhone and tap through Settings > iCloud > Storage and Backup. Toggle the iCloud Backup slider to ON. Tap on "Back Up Now" and wait for the process to complete.

Now if you are keen on restoring your iPod Touch from the iOS backup you would need to reset it to factory settings and choose to restore from the backup you have just made. You must ensure before that your iPod Touch is compatible with the iCloud first. It must be running iOS 5 and above.

To check which iOS version your iPod has, go to Settings > General > About.

Here is more about iCloud backups and restoring from an iCloud backup:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4859