Transfer call from iPhone to Yosemite

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Rafagon, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

If you touch the green bar on the iPhone that says "Touch to return to call," OS X Yosemite transfers the call from you Mac to your iPhone.

If I were to initiate a call on my iPhone and then decide in the middle of the call that I want to continue the call on my Mac instead, is it possible to transfer it in that direction?

Is this part of Continuity? (I can't test it because my iMac doesn't have Bluetooth LE 4.0)

2. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I believe this is what Apple is referring to as Continuity. You can pick up a call from any device where you left off. However, from reading about the feature on Apple's website, the call can be initiated from the Mac or iPhone but not transferred from the iPhone to Mac.

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Thank you. It was nice to see that you can trasfer a call in progress from Mac to iPhone*, so it would be nice if a future update (probably requires an update to both iOS and OS X Yosemite) this feature becomes available.

*Technically, perhaps I shouldn't use the word "transfer," because the call isn't being "transferred" from the Mac to the iPhone, since the Mac was using the iPhone's cellular connection all along. You're just taking the call off the Mac's speakerphone and halting the relay of the call to the Mac.

4. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I will test this tomorrow for you if you don't have a definitive answer by then..

5. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Off topic sort of, but does anyone notice on Mac the volume static therefore not allowing the call to fully work or it works but no one on other end?

6. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I'm waiting to receive a call on my Mac so I can test Handoff but that is a strange issue with the phone call.

7. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Yeah bad static when I go to turn volume up and then start call. Every now and then though I get a smooth call.

As for handoff, I forget if it was you but someone told me I may have to buy something for it to work on my Mac as handoff isn't compatible on my system.

8. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I tested this out this morning and I can not find any way to transfer a call from the iPhone to the Mac. You can easily transfer a call from the Mac to the iPhone however..

I'm not real sure why you can't do phone to Mac but I don't see an option or way on the iPhone to do so..

9. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I haven't seen this. Calls on my Mac are clear, they connect each and every time and the other end has not reported any bad audio on their side of the conversation..

10. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I just tested Handoff when I received a call from my roommate. So far, didn't have any issues during the call. The audio quality is good.

11. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I wish I had handoff capability for this reason alone.