Transfer iTunes

Discussion in 'iMac' started by RicK james, Jul 28, 2015.

1. RicK james

RicK james Member
    Bronze

So I consolidated my iTunes into one folder as the apple site suggested. Can I just that to an external hard drive, hook it to the Mac and then transfer to music folder in Mac? Same with photos as well?

2. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

I think you are asking of you can move your iTunes library to a new drive, and if so the answer is yes. If you have already consolidated your iTunes (all items are stored in the iTunes library rather than scattered around the disk), then you can copy your entire iTunes folder to a new drive. Then you need to start iTunes while holding down the Shift key (windows) or the Option key (Mac). It will then prompt you to select the location of the iTunes library. From then on it will open the new location.

The same procedure works for the new Photos app.

3. RicK james

RicK james Member
    Bronze

Maybe I did it wrong by I grabbed the folder from th externa hdd and out it right into iTunes. Seemed to work out just fine

4. RicK james

RicK james Member
    Bronze

Wow that's jibberish.

I took the iTunes folder and put it directly into the iTunes on the Mac and it seemed to work great

5. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

That works too, it's just easier to tell people how to open iTunes with the Shift.Option key than explaining how to use finder to drop it on the iTunes icon. Glad you're all fixed.

6. RicK james

RicK james Member
    Bronze

yes was easy. Appreciate the help. Really enjoying this computer so far