Transferring apps

Discussion in 'iPad Apps and Games' started by smudgeyjoe, Dec 8, 2010.

1. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member
    Bronze

I am beginning to save for iPad 2 when it comes out, hopefully in February. Other than multiple earlier gen iPods, I haven't had Apple devices with Apps. When I get an iPad 2, can the Apps I own go with me to my new iPad. I am planning on giving my current iPad to my adult daughter, who is a nurse and the single mother of 2 elementary school age boys. If my Apps go to my new iPad, must they leave my old one? This will be a "Don't open til February" Christmas present for my daughter and I want to make sure exactly what I am giving her. Thanks!

2. Tyger_purr

Tyger_purr Member
    Bronze

Your apps are registered to your iTunes account.
    She can keep the apps as long as the iPad has your account on it and it is only synced with a computer logged into your account.
    This will also mean she would not be able to put her iTunes stuff on.

3. Tyger_purr

Tyger_purr Member
    Bronze

I wouldn't put any faith in release date rumors.
    The last iPad came out in April. I would expect the next one in April until they officially announce otherwise.

Sooner would be nice but I wouldn't want to promise to give my old one away based on rumors.

4. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member
    Bronze

I am an oldie but not necessarily goodie, techie forever, so I have learned the hard way to hope but not trust in a release date until the object I hope for is resting in my hands. Thanks for the input, Tyger_purr!

5. Jmarsh5

Jmarsh5 New Member

Yes, you can keep your apps. Just remember to sync your iPad with your computer through iTunes periodically just to make sure. When you get your new iPad 2 (who knows when that will be) just sync it to your computer and your old apps will be put on your new iPad, and they will even be in the same layout on your springboard. You can also download them manually one by one from the app store. If you've already purchased the app, free or not free, it's yours for good as long as your under the same email account on your iTunes and Apple product.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

6. IMATRANS

IMATRANS New Member

from one iPhone to another, BUT keeping the scores of some apps intact. Just synced my new phone but the apps reset. I've got over 800k of words (3624 level) on Scramble 2, and a couple of WWF games currently on my old phone. Is there any way to transfer these? Thanks.

7. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Did you sync your old phone before syncing everything on the new one? Thats The only way, unless you did a backup with iCloud.

8. IMATRANS

IMATRANS New Member

Yes, I did. I transferred any new purchases too.

9. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

If you did a backup before getting rid of your old phone everything should be as it was. Sorry I meant backup from iTunes before not just a sync.

10. IMATRANS

IMATRANS New Member

Oh boy. I'm so technologically dense. How do I do a backup? and more importantly, is it too late?

11. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Do you still have your old phone?

12. IMATRANS

IMATRANS New Member

Yep. I give it back (work) as soon as I can take care of this issue.

13. IMATRANS

IMATRANS New Member

Success! Thanks Benny.

14. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

When you connect your phone with iTunes, right click on your old iPhone and click where it says backup this phone. That's it. When you're done plug in the new one and restore to that backup.

15. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Sorry we posted at the same time. Glad you got it. Enjoy your new iPhone!