Transferring data from someone else's computer to my iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mugwhamp, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Mugwhamp

Mugwhamp Member
    Bronze

Here's what I want to do: I would like to transfer some data from my wife's computer over to my iPad, but when I try to do that, my wife's iTunes account tries to sync her data with my iPad, which I do not want. So my question is: is it possible to transfer data from my wife's computer over to my iPad without syncing with her iTunes account? Now, I'm aware that I could transfer her data via an external hard drive and then over to my laptop then onto my iPad, but I'm wondering if there is a more direct way to do it.

Sent from my 3rd Gen iPad iOS 5.1.1 using iCafe app

2. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

If you have a Dropbox (or similar) account you could upload the file(s) to it from your wife's computer and access it from the Dropbox app on your iPad. You could also use an app like iFiles to transfer the data via wifi or bluetooth directly to your iPad. I'm sure there are other non-itunes options for transferring data but those are two that come to mind immediately.

iFiles link.

3. Mugwhamp

Mugwhamp Member
    Bronze

Thanks for the reply, Kadelic. I was actually trying to transfer videos and music files from my wife's Macbook Air, so I'm not sure Dropbox is the best option. I'll look at iFiles and continue investigating other options.

Sent from my 3rd Gen iPad iOS 5.1.1 using iCafe app

4. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

iTunes sync is a bag of hurt. The only way you can put music and videos from another computer onto it without erasing it is to first enable the "Manually manage music and videos" option and then drag them over. This will go for all computers you hook it up to from now on, you'll see the device on the left sidebar and the place to drop the music/videos in the dropdown menu underneath that (click the arrow icon to open or close the menu)

5. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

We have 3 users but one iTunes account and my settings are "Manually manage music and videos"
    We started with each our own iTunes and it was a mess and you couldn't share. It's much easier now with the cloud as well.
    Mugwhamp said they have 2 iTunes accounts
    So he would have to sign in his wifes account ?

6. sarahbaby

sarahbaby New Member

You can search other tool to transfer the data to your computer. not iTunes. sometimes, i do not like itunse. it works slowly
    I know there are many software to do so.