Transferring email attachments to PC

Discussion in 'iPhone 4' started by nitchioo, Dec 9, 2011.

1. nitchioo

nitchioo New Member

Hello all,
    thanks for taking the time to read this and even more thanks if you have a constructive answer to this issue.

I have been researching ways to get files out of my email and onto my PC using the USB connection (I am trying to eliminate the second wireless connection). It seems generally easy if you have an App on the phone to read them and that talks to iTunes. If you don't there seems to be some Jailbreak methods also.
    I don't want to go the Jailbreak road and there isn't an App to read everything that can be emailed. Surely (no comments Red!) there is an App that will turn an attachement into something like a Zip file which can be transferred off the phone with iTunes and unzipped on the PC for use in its native Application.
    I am currently tackling AutoCAD files but I realised this could be a problem with any file type. So I won't bore you with the possible long winded solutions I have found for that file type.
    A solution that I may have found involves using 'Google Docs' and the 'Documents to Go premium' app. I am not sure if email attachements can be saved from the iPhone onto Google Docs though. The rest of the process seems supported by D2Gp, as described above using iTunes.
    Does anyone understand this issue and has better still someone found a reasonable solution.
    thannks and kind regards,

2. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Check email on your PC and save them. ?
    Another way is to get a dropBox account (free). I had a file in emil on iPhone, click it and when it asked how to open it I selected Dropbox. Uploads it right to there, so you can access it anywhere with an internet connection.

3. nitchioo

nitchioo New Member

thanks for your reply Scott,
    correct me if I'm wrong but these solutions work only with a second internet connection. Where I live there's only wireless and that's so bad that it's hardly worth having. So I am trying to elimate it from my PC by using a USB transfer method (if one exists). I may be able to set up my iPhone as a VPN to share it's wireless internet connection but after a cable way now!

4. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

You may be able to use an App like Downloads, which you can save attachments to. You can then transfer the docs to PC via iTunes. I doubt Downloads can view the file you are referring to but it might be able to complete the transfer anyway.

5. nitchioo

nitchioo New Member

Legend Lon,

thanks heaps, just tried and it works. Should work for any file attached to email.
    thanks again.

6. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Happy to hear it worked.