transferring iTunes apps to another computer

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by projkt13, Nov 13, 2008.

1. projkt13

projkt13 New Member

So I am selling my laptop which has all of my iPhone apps under iTunes. I don't want to lose all of those apps. Can someone tell me how to transfer them to another computer? Thanks, or maybe direct me to a thread that has info on this.

2. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

you actually don't have to transfer them directly, if you don't want to. iTunes will allow you to re-download them once you sign-in to the account that purchased them.

But, if you do want to move them directly, (on a mac) they are located at:

Users\[Username]\Music\iTunes\Mobile Applications

not sure about windows, but it's probably something like (on XP) c:/Documents and Settings/[Username]/My Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Mobile Applications, or on vista c:/Users/[Username]/My Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Mobile Applications

3. pdofak

pdofak New Member

I found the apps folder and drag n dropped the apps to the new computer's iTunes icon. It imported them like it wanted to!

4. DougH99

DougH99 New Member

Related: Transferring data

I have an iPhone app that has data associated with it (its a password vault program). Can I move the data to the new PC along with the application?
    Thanks! Doug

5. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

6. DougH99

DougH99 New Member

Thanks

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, I think something I did hosed it up so I couldn't go get a backup. (I sync'd on the new computer, then I sync'd on the old computer to get the apps back, but the data was gone. After I read your post, I tried to restore from backup, but the only backup on the old computer was the one created when I did that second sync, back on the old computer.) So, I'm just biting the bullet and starting over on the data file I lost. But thanks for all your help. I'll know better the next time when I have to move an iPod to a new computer.

7. jeannine0107

jeannine0107 New Member

You should be able to transfer all your iTunes data from the old to the new.

Failing that, download a copy of iRipit and move the stuff from your iPhone to your new computer.

Option one, described below, is the preferable one.

If you have not got too much data on that new machine, it would be easier for you to just insert the Restore disk, that came with the new computer, and do an Erase and Install.
    This will put the machine back to the state it was in when you first took it out of the box. Part of the configuration process is to transfer all the data from one machine to the other.

8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

What's option two?

(Not that I understood option one.)

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The correct answer was posted in post #2 several years ago. Don't bother replying to directions like the ones you quoted. They're pretty ridiculous and were likely just posted to boost a post count.