Transferring messages w/o restoring from backup

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by srjeffery, Oct 3, 2014.

1. srjeffery

srjeffery Member
    Bronze

Is there any way possible to transfer imessages without having to restore from backup? I really want to set my 6+ up as new and kind of start over, but I don't want to delete some message threads, mainly from family. One of the cool things about ios8 is the details for contacts showing a lot of old pictures that I assume were sent through imessage.

2. mbairguy

mbairguy Contributor
    Bronze

Backup to iCloud and restore from iCloud...you will then have a clone of your existing phone without any hassle. You will spend less time deleting than you will adding

Btw...if you don't like...you can reset

Sent using iCafe app

3. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Just so you're aware, keeping a lot of messages in iMessage takes a lot of storage space on your phone. Especially those with photos and videos.

4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Good point—especially the photos, videos, and—I'm guessing—the new audio snippets you can send through iMessages. It won't be a huge deal if you have a 64 GB or greater model, but still. Space is space.

To the OP: You can set SMS or iMessages to auto-delete in order to save space (or destroy evidence ;)) after either 30 days or one year if you prefer not to have to think about it. Go to Settings > Messages > Keep Messages and choose your auto-deletion period.

5. kenwolf

kenwolf New Member

All of a sudden all photos in Messages disappear. Message still there but photos are gone?