Translate printed words with your smartphone's video camera

Discussion in 'iPhone Apps and Games' started by Rafagon, May 18, 2014.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Aim your iPhone's camera at a printed sign in a given langauge* and watch as it is translated in real-time to the langauge of your choice*.

The app to do this and the in-app purchases for the individual langauges are all free right now, after Google purchased the original app maker. It's worth getting just for the fun of watching it in action (YMMV). You'll never know when you might end up lost and alone in one of the countries where the langauges it can handle are spoken, and the ability to translate a sign might mean the difference between life and an excruciating death.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/word-lens/id383463868

*Translations are available between English and Русский (Russian), Português, Deutsch, Italiano, Français and Español.

#1 Rafagon, May 18, 2014
    Last edited: May 20, 2014
  2. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

It's apparently free AND just now, I "purchased" their langauge packs for free. DO IT NOW!

3. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I deleted it. I have no use for it here in northwest Alabama. I don't travel. Thing is, it may be useful, but it was taking 138 mb of space. That's too much for something I might use once every 2 years. :)

4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Cool thing is that when you do need it, you will be able to download it again free of charge (assuming you're still using the same Apple ID, and there should be no reason to have to change your Apple ID ever) since you already "purchased" the app once (at the free-of-charge price). I believe this also applies to the in-app purchases that were purchased at the free-of-charge price... with a Restore Purchases button that appears somewhere. But I do believe it is up to each developer to implement this feature for his/her/their app.