Transparent Dock

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by ivantwilliams, Jul 15, 2015.

1. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

This is a serious question. Why does Apple not allow iOS owners\users to make changes to the Dock?

I would simply like the Dock to be transparent, thus wallpapers would look much better.
    I just don't understand Apple's thinking. Hence this question...

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Agreed. I wish Apple allowed some basic customization which includes hiding their unsightly dock. I really dislike what they did to it in iOS 7 and 8. Another gripe I have is that they don't let you disable the animations when opening and closing apps and locking and unlocking the device. Reduce Motion does not disable them, it just changes is to something slightly less irritating. This intentional lag slows us down. Yes, it's catchy for their displays, but it's annoying to power users.

There are jailbreak tweaks that allow you to hide the dock altogether or change it to an alternate dock of your choice as well as disable the animations. Have you considered jailbreaking?

3. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

As always, I appreciate the feedback. Back in the day, I did jailbreak. But, to be honest, as I get older, I just want to 'use' something, and get on with it.
    This dock 'thing', has pissed me off for quite a while. And, I can't fathom why Apple won't allow users, who BOUGHT and PAID for a device, to change the dock.

Jailbreaking used to be a 'chore' for me; well, so many steps needed. Then, one couldn't upgrade the OS, if you did, you'd lose the jailbreak, etc. Unless it is a case of simply installing an app, and the device is jailbroken, I probably won't bother...

4. Spencerdl

Spencerdl Contributor
    Bronze

I TOTALLY AGREE with you Ivan. What's up with the ugly dock and who's idea was it. They need to be fired immediately. It should either be transparent or some kind of shelflike, almost anything but what's currently there. At least give us the option in settings to disable it. ....just my .02 cents

5. Spencerdl

Spencerdl Contributor
    Bronze