Travel Apps

mbushnell

Jun 21, 2009
New Jersey
Hi All,

I'm expecting to take a vacation trip to Europe in a couple of weeks (2 nights in Berlin, 1 night in Dresden, followed by 2 nights each in Prague & Vienna). All of the traveling within Europe will be by rail. I expect to fly from Newark, NJ to either Berlin or Frankfurt (taking the train from Frankfurt to Berlin). On the return, I plan going from Vienna by train to either Frankfurt or Zurich and flying back to Newark from either of those two cities. I will be flying non-revenue, so what cities I will fly to and return from will are based on which flight I can get a seat on.

I'm not new to traveling in western Europe (France, England, Belgium, Holland, Switzerland, & the former West Germany), but this will be my first trip with the iPhone (which I've only had since Labor Day of this year).

I'm looking for some "Travel Apps" that might be handy on this trip. So far, I've downloaded "Currency" to get the exchange rates, "Convertbot" to do Metric/English measurement conversions, "JetSet" for expense tracking, and "Metro" for local transit info.

I'm not certain how these Apps will work out. I am looking for Apps that would work with Data Roaming turned "Off". Does anyone have any better suggestions?

One thing that I'm looking for are city maps that would work with Roaming turned off. I see that there are several available that meet this requirement in the App Store, but I don't know if one is "better" than the others.

Same question about Guide Books. I see that the prices are all over the place for these books for the iPhone. Are the Lonely Planet books really worth 3 times the cost of other Guide Books?

Does the iPhone's GPS work without access to a Data Network (i.e. roaming turned "Off")?

Are there any European train Time Tables available for the iPhone?

Thanks for any information.

Mark

downsized

Bronze
May 3, 2009
I've been very happy with AppBox Pro. It has a currency converter, a very complete "conversion" app, along with a langauge translator....some of the apps are slow...very slow...but it is one app that I often use several times per day.

pradley

Bronze
Oct 20, 2008
One thing I can tell you that I learned from another thread in this forum: the gps function will work in airplane mode. The phone has a satellite chip, and does not depend on a data connection for the gps to work.

mbushnell

Jun 21, 2009
New Jersey
One thing I can tell you that I learned from another thread in this forum: the gps function will work in airplane mode. The phone has a satellite chip, and does not depend on a data connection for the gps to work.
I'm glad to hear that.

According to the salesman at the Apple Store when I purchased my iPhone, it needed access to a data network for the GPS to work. I guess that he was wrong.

I was wondering about that, because several of the "offline" city maps in the App Store state that they can pinpoint your position on the map, but how could it pinpoint your position if the app was offline & you weren't using a data network?

I'm glad to hear that the GPS will function with data roaming turned off.