Traveling aboard: what options do I have?

carrera.owner

Bronze
Aug 31, 2008
Long Island, NY
I will be leaving on a 6-week scientific field campaign to Arica (Chile) in mid-October and would like to take my iPhone (2G): email, Apps and (ideally) phone usage. However, if I did this I'd want to be sure that upon my arrival back to the States that I didn't have a whopping bill from AT&T sitting in my mailbox. :) One potential option that I've seen in our forum is that one can use Skype with their iPhone and that may probably be good enough. (btw, has anybody tried this yet?) Anyway, before I make any decisions, I'd thought I'd poll the collective wisdom here to see if there are other options.

TIA

Last edited by a moderator:

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
ATT has support in Chile. You can purchase an International Data Plan for quick email checking, but i'd suggest using hotel WIFI for surfing or downloading mass emails in the mornings.
admittedly, i didn't look at the link concerning skype, but i'm not sure how that'd work. you still need a data connection for skype, which is usually what racks up the charges while overseas. sorry if you are aware of this. travel safe

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
ATT has support in Chile. You can purchase an International Data Plan for quick email checking, but i'd suggest using hotel WIFI for surfing or downloading mass emails in the mornings.
admittedly, i didn't look at the link concerning skype, but i'm not sure how that'd work. you still need a data connection for skype, which is usually what racks up the charges while overseas. sorry if you are aware of this. travel safe
Would that be cheaper than a prepaid? I have no idea, I haven't traveled internationally in a while, but from what I've read, people have unlocked for the sole purpose of being able to buy a cheaper prepaid plan and popping in the sim...

carrera.owner

Bronze
Aug 31, 2008
Long Island, NY
Oooo....didn't think about the international support of ATT. That might just do the trick along with most surfing/emailing done using the hotel's wifi. yeah...I like this idea...Thx Coasts!

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
Would that be cheaper than a prepaid? I have no idea, I haven't traveled internationally in a while, but from what I've read, people have unlocked for the sole purpose of being able to buy a cheaper prepaid plan and popping in the sim...
im really not sure which would be cheaper. ATT would be easier and I like easy.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I have traveled internationally with my iPhone a few times and have found that AT&T's International Plans certainly work out to be more cost effective than purchasing a pre-paid SIM from overseas. The pre-paid SIM may seem cheaper but you must also consider the cost for the caller you are talking with in the States, as they may incur huge international fees. As far as the Data package is concerned, I didn't subscribe to one and just looked for WiFi locations and found them to be quite numerous throughout my travels. The Voice plan is $5.99 a month and greatly reduces the per-minute charges of calls. Data packages generally include a set amount of data (but is it VERY expensive if you go over) to use for the month.

carrera.owner

Bronze
Aug 31, 2008
Long Island, NY
Still too new to the forum to figure out how to formally 'thank' Coasts and Youngbinks...but in the meantime, Thanks guys....very much appreciated.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
Will you have wifi available at any time? I was in Cuzco for 2 weeks recently and did not use my phone (unless I had an emergency then I would) though I had 5 bars at all times (even at Machu Pichhu). I used wifi for e-mail and apps. Like said above, you can talk to ATT about an international window of minutes. It might be expensive but an option. Data is what will kick your ass really. Avoid that if you can.

carrera.owner

Bronze
Aug 31, 2008
Long Island, NY
>Will you have wifi available at any time?
yes. Based on everyone's suggestion, I will take the wifi route for email and such probably just get a voice plan for the duration of the field campaign (as per Youngbinks).

...Machu Pichhu...
how was it? I am thinking of treking up there after the campaign.

Thx Greenjbhsd