traveling abroad, how to turn off the cell radio?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

katsun

Jul 4, 2007
I will be travleing oversea for pleasure and would like to bring my iPhone along. However, I do not wish to get outrageous international roaming fees, so I would like to turn only the cell radio off, but maintain the wi-fi capability so I can go online when there's hotspots. Is it possible at all? The airplane mode turns both the wifi and cell radio off. This may be one of many features that Apple have missed. Any help is greatly appreciated!

mcnearcj

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
The only thing I can think of is to just turn on airplane mode unless your at a hotspot. Once your connected to a hotspot and the wifi icon is there you're off the edge network. Just don't answer any calls and you should be fine.

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Just take out the SIM card. You can do that by turning the phone completely off (by holding the power button down until it asks you to slide the red button to the right to turn off) then inserting a paper clip into the apprppriately-sized hole on top of the phone. The SIM card tray will come out, take the SIM card out and place the tray back in.

Now when you turn the phone on it will say "no sim" in the upper left, but wifi will function fine.

AngelJO008

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
I will be travleing oversea for pleasure and would like to bring my iPhone along. However, I do not wish to get outrageous international roaming fees, so I would like to turn only the cell radio off, but maintain the wi-fi capability so I can go online when there's hotspots. Is it possible at all? The airplane mode turns both the wifi and cell radio off. This may be one of many features that Apple have missed. Any help is greatly appreciated!
the way I got around this issue while in the Bahamas this past week was to turn all email checking off. or set them to manual check. WiFi was off too to conserve battery. The only data I was charged was if I checked email or went online. Other than that, no data was used without me manually using it. that was for the data, but for the phone, I simply did not answer it :D I hope this helps