Traveling to Europe, looking for a way to bypass STUPID Roaming

illjigga24

Feb 3, 2010
I am traveling to Italy in a few months, and I am looking for some way to NOT get charged thousands of dollars by the thieves at At&t.

MY phone is already unlocked, and I am hoping that someone out there has come up with a way to bypass these roaming charges.
:eek:k:eek:k

Any suggestions?

illjigga24

Feb 3, 2010
Sorry, meant to say my phone is JAILBROKEN, not unlocked...

Krunk83

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2008
Unlock your phone using blacksn0w and go to best buy and purchase a t-mobile phone which is pre-paid. I think you can get some for around $50. Make sure the phone uses a sim card. Then once overseas use the pre-paid sim card in your iPhone. I am pretty sure that tmobile will work in europe but double check when you go to but the phone. I think they have O2 sims there too.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Why all the hostility toward AT&T? Of course they're going to charge you if you don't take the proper precautions. Don't blame AT&T...

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Unlock your phone with blacksn0w (sn0w) and continue to use your AT&T SIM. Once you get to Europe, buy prepaid SIM cards in each individual country you visit. You will save TONS of money. Have fun! :)

illjigga24

Feb 3, 2010
Thanks a lot! I'm going to look into which sim cards to buy.

illjigga24

Feb 3, 2010
I'm an iPhone newbie, so I appreciate the suggestions. I am wondering if i will have change any settings on my phone to make it compatible in Italy...

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Ok, i have to ask, because I have never seen this anywhere, Who sells these prepaid SIM cards? Do they offer them in the US?

illjigga24

Feb 3, 2010
I have just spoken with cellular abroad (posted above) and they do not offer any data services. On to the next one...

knaak

Feb 11, 2010
I agree, this is so annoying!

May 31, 2012
I am traveling to Italy in a few months, and I am looking for some way to NOT get charged thousands of dollars by the thieves at At&t.

MY phone is already unlocked, and I am hoping that someone out there has come up with a way to bypass these roaming charges.
:eek:

Any suggestions?
Check out www.V-Global.net They have a free iPhone app "V-Global WiFi" that gives you USA dial tone at 2.9 cents/minute anywhere in the world that you have a wifi connection, free on-network calls and free calls to iNum numbers, which they also give you for free. Just one requirement to deposit $10 for talk time to off-network numbers to open an account.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I never had to get another phone or anything prepaid when going to Europe. I just contacted AT&T and discussed with them all that I'd like to do, such as limited phone usage such as calling back home. They gave me the rates and we went from there.