Traveling to New Zealand... can I take/use my iPhone (and how)?

iGal

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
SoCal
I'm taking a trip to New Zealand later this year (I live in the US). Can I take my iPhone with? How well does it work with switching out the SIM card? What is/are the catch(es)?

Feel free to just point me to past threads. I did a search but wanted to ask about NZ specifically, just in case the process is somehow different there vs. other destinations abroad.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Well, unless you have an unlocked iPhone, only the AT&T SIM card is going to work in it. That means you can't just buy a SIM card once you get to NZ and switch it out and take advantage of the benefits of having an international SIM card. That being said, there are plenty of ways of getting around this. The easiest would be to make sure that you are on the latest firmware (or at least 1.1.1 I believe) and to go to Settings->General->Network->Set Data Roaming to OFF. This way you don't come home to potentially thousands of dollars worth of Data charges. After you do that you can use your own SIM cards and make calls once in NZ without fear of racking up exorbitant data charges. If you choose that option, you can call AT&T and ask to enroll in the International Calling Plan. It's $6 per month(I believe) and it drastically reduces the charges you incur for making phone calls while overseas. I did this the 2nd to last time I went to Europe and my phone bill was 75% cheaper than it would have been otherwise. The best thing with this addition is that you can cancel it as soon as you return back to the States. If you don't want to do that then you can always use ZiPhone to unlock and jailbreak your phone and use a SIM card in it once you get to NZ. I did that the last time I went to Europe (but I didn't use my iPhone, just another unlocked spare phone I have) and that worked pretty well too. I would suggest going to AT&T's website and looking at their International Plan and looking at the charges for making calls from NZ. Hope this helps!