Traveling to UK

Kaitlyn2004

Bronze
Aug 6, 2008
I am on Rogers in Canada and will be going to Scotland in October and would like to bring my iPhone - for music, games and WiFi access.

What steps do I need to take to ensure I receive no data charges?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Go into Settings->General->Network and make sure Data Roaming is turned OFF. That's all you need to do. Of course your phone should work with the wireless provider of the area in which you are traveling so you can still make calls, but they are likely going to be quite expensive.

Kaitlyn2004

Bronze
Aug 6, 2008
that was what I thought first I just wanted to be absolutely sure. So if I do that I am definitely safe in terms of data?

Also, the 3g isn't unlockable yet is it? Would be nice to use a prepaid sim there...

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
I would also suggest you change your Fetch New Data settings to turn push off (if you have it on) and all email accounts to fetch only manually. The last time I traveled out of the country with my iPhone, I still picked up some roaming data charges despite having data roaming turned off. When I called AT&T, they stated it was because I sometimes connected to partner carriers in other countries and my email accounts were then set to fetch automatically every hour.

If you want to be absolutely sure, you should turn airplane mode on and then turn on wifi separately when you want to connect to a wifi network.

Edit: Woo hoo! My 1,000th post!

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Good thinking macgirl. With both of the advised precautionary steps you'll be free of accidental data charges.

The 3G is currently not able to be unlocked via software. I believe there is a hardware unlock but I'm sure it's entirely complicated.

Edit: Congrats!