Triple press the Home button for 3G profile?

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
Over the course of the last couple of weeks I've noticed a lot of people wanting to switch between 3G on/off and other power saving tips when they are not using functions of their 3G phones. Currently these users have to navigate about 3 or 4 screens to accomplish these tasks when a simpler method would be great to have.

I'm hoping Apple or another 3rd party developer(I'd prefer an Apple FW update) is in the process of developing the home button into a more usable function than just 'home' and 'iPod' usability.

This would be a great button to triple press to go into a power saving profile on the phone or a power user profile.

Let me know what you guys think.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
It would be pretty nice. 3 clicks and you have your choices of 3G, GPS, Wi-Fi, etc, and you can turn them on or off. Not a bad idea. ;)

thabayboy52

Bronze
Jan 27, 2008
I think you made me triple click my home button a bunch of times before I opened this thread and realized I was wasting my time.
haha i almost did it too but waited til after i read the post

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
I think you made me triple click my home button a bunch of times before I opened this thread and realized I was wasting my time.
LMAO.

wrap it before you tap it, too.

They could even, say, have you hold the home button for five seconds at a home screen to switch power/3G profiles. Or hold the home button for five seconds from the 'wake from sleep' screen. Either way, there has to be some kind of macro function in the future with the amount of apps and features being added to the phone. I figure holding it might keep the amount of wear and abuse down on the home button.

mletang

Bronze
Jan 23, 2008
NYC
www.NYCpetforum.com
if you jailbreak you can simply install bossprefs which basically does this. Rigiht now its not able to turn on/off 3g but its just a matter of time. It still lets you control wifi, email, bluetooth, ssh and also comes with a power button that lets you respring or reboot the phone. its simply an icon on the springboard, one click and it gives you all the options above.

May 27, 2009
I too want the triple home button customization... Though I'd set it to a program like "VLingo" so that when i'm driving i can just reach over, triple home button, then say "phone John Doe... etc"

As far as setting toggles... mletang was on the right track... Bossprefs makes a patch called something like "SBPrefs" or "SBSettings"... I'm pretty sure it was the "settings" one. Download it from Cydia.

it's not a whole program, but a sort of hidden dock, that appears when you horizontally swipe the top of the screen. It's got convenient on/off buttons for 3G, Edge, Bluetooth, brightness (pops up a slider) Wifi and Airplane mode. In all reality, the only reason I jailbroke my iPhone was for this one thing! Problem solved.

Oh and it also tells you how much memory you have remaining, and your IP addresses all on that one screen... sold on it yet?

May 6, 2007
United States
Apple is pretty good at making a single button or function work for a lot of different things, and they've proved it recently with the trackpad stuff.

It's not a horrible idea, as I see people switching a lot as well. With a single button, though, it's a little more difficult. It begins to get tedious when you try to hit one button three or four times in a row, so I don't know.

I guess they could do some screen or voice functions, but it doesn't seem too logical at this point. We'll have to see what they do. Good idea though.