Trouble changing payment method.

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by James Creecher, May 6, 2014.

1. James Creecher

James Creecher New Member

Hi everyone I have a problem and I really hope you all can help me with it. I used to have a credit card that I used when I made this account but now I no longer have it. I went to my account and then to change my billing info and I am not given the option to select None. To make matters worse iTunes also won't accept my old card anymore, I checked the purchase history and it says I've never purchased anything. I normally look for the free apps and download them but now It won't even give me that. I'm in dire need of help here and have been searching for the answer all night with no luck.

Sent from my iPhone 5

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Do you have a new credit/debit card that you can add? Here are the directions for changing your payment information: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2589

Check the purchase history again after adding the new billing information.

3. James Creecher

No I don't and further more I'm 100% sure all the apps I've downloaded were free and that any music I downloaded was free so it shouldn't matter if I have a new credit card because I don't buy anything. Apple is trying to scam me and I'm not going to stand for it. Every time I look up the purchase history or order history it shows I have absolutely nothing for the last 90 days and I haven't even had this account for a month.

4. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I seriously doubt that Apple is deliberately trying to mislead you. I understand your frustration, though.

5. James Creecher

If they aren't then why when I first made my account was I not givin the option to not put a payment method? We all know they have the technology to keep us from getting things without the money to pay for them so why force us to enter that info in the first place? Wouldn't it make more sense to ask for a credit card when we actually try to purchase something? There are so many reasons this is wrong I can't even begin to type them all lol

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I see an option for "none"
    under payment type in iTunes on my phone as well as my computer. Are you certain you are using the correct iTunes login information? After selecting none as your new payment type, you should be able to view the download history of your free apps (purchase history). Please post a screenshot of the payment information screen if you still do not see none as an option so I can check to make sure you are in the right place.

7. James Creecher

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

9. James Creecher

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You need to remove the card that is showing up there since it is no longer valid. After you delete it in iTunes, you should have the option for "none" like you see in my screenshot.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Use iTunes on a computer if it is not allowing you to edit and remove it in iTunes on your phone.

12. James Creecher

Tried that and it wouldn't let me. It demanded that I enter a credit card number.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

So you are saying iTunes is refusing to let you delete an invalid card until AFTER you enter a valid card? Your old card is still showing up and that's the root of the problem. Typically, it will let you delete an old card first. I've always been able to do that in the past when I changed cards. Afterwards, I entered the new card. Once, I selected none and just used iTunes gift cards. I've always had the option for no CC. But you have to delete that old card before you can get anywhere here. Be sure to use a computer to delete it.

14. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

@James Creecher

It should be witchable to "none" on iTunes on your computer....

Here are some screenshots of the steps you should take. The ONLY way it may demand a valid credit card is if you owe them money. Perhaps you made an in-app purchase you don't recall... but you already told us that your history says you've never purchased anything...

Try to follow these and see if this helps:

step 1.jpg

step 2.jpg

step 3.jpg

15. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I think the OP has indicated that he knows all this.

16. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Try here for info on how to change your payment method. If this does not work, you might want to email iTunes Support.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1918

17. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Folks, please read threads before posting so we don't get a lot of duplicate advice. We could shrink this thread down by at least a third if we could all see what was posted before and not repeat ourselves. Thanks.

18. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Rafagon and I posted about the same time or mine had not been refreshed. Other than that I don't see a duplication. No one had offered the link I posted. :)

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Click the link in step number six of reply number one in this thread.

20. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Yep, it's down there at #6. :rolleyes: