Trouble matching keys on desktop keyboard compared to iOS keyboard

Syncro_Fei

Bronze
Jan 9, 2009
I am having a hard time matching some of the keys on my keyboard to the keys on my iPod Touch. Specifically the ` key. I can't find that one in any of the keys or their "hold down sub menus". I see a strike that looks like a vertical line, and a symbol that looks like an inverted apostrophe. Hard to say what the ` is supposed to match with.

Does anyone have the ability to get the ASCII codes for the 3 symbols that show up when you activate the apostrophe sub menu on the iPod Touch keyboard? Preferably in the order they appear.

I guess my real question is, where can I find ASCII character code 96 on this goofy little keyboard?

Syncro_Fei

Bronze
Jan 9, 2009
Ok, I sent an Email from my iPod Touch to my husband, and retrieved that email off his account to my computer. I copy/pasted the text of it to notepad, and saved the file:

Here are the f---ed up keys:
‘ ’ '
Good f---ing luck...
Sent from my iPod

I then opened the file using a hex editor, and determined that those keys were ASCII keys numbers 145, 146, 39

I still can't find key number 96 on this keyboard at all.

Syncro_Fei

Bronze
Jan 9, 2009
Found character code 96 (60 in hex) on the Japanese Kana keyboard, but I can't activate the Kana keyboard in settings. Any information on how to input hex character 60 on the little touch keyboard?

Syncro_Fei

Bronze
Jan 9, 2009
I'm surprised there is not more attention to this oversight on Apple's part. When entering password fields, the international keyboard is disabled.

This makes it impossible to use passwords that use Hiragana, or Katakana as well. WTF were they thinking? or were they thinking at all?

The most irritating aspect of it, is the refusal of Apple to acknowledge the flaw in the system, or make any statements about how the developers are going to deal with it. Is it going to be fixed?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I'm surprised there is not more attention to this oversight on Apple's part. When entering password fields, the international keyboard is disabled.

This makes it impossible to use passwords that use Hiragana, or Katakana as well. WTF were they thinking? or were they thinking at all?

The most irritating aspect of it, is the refusal of Apple to acknowledge the flaw in the system, or make any statements about how the developers are going to deal with it. Is it going to be fixed?
http://www.apple.com/support/feedback/

Syncro_Fei

Bronze
Jan 9, 2009
Already sent feedback. Got no reply or solution.

Most irritating programming oversight I have yet to experience. Windows Vista is less irritating than this.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
This is an issue that I really haven't heard much about. I think that it isn't a problem for most people which is why Apple hasn't given a real response.

Then again, copy/paste and MMS are problems for many people and they're still unfixed.