Trouble restoring

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by inkdaddy66, Oct 25, 2011.

1. inkdaddy66

inkdaddy66 New Member

i cant seem to restore my iPhone. no matter what i do. when i connect to iTunes when in dfu mode. it tells me that i need to restore to use this phone with iTunes. which im fine with since the phone wont actually boot. all i can do is turn it on see the Apple logo and get it into dfu. when iTunes wants to update the software... it starts to download ios4.2. the download starts but when the downloading finishes i get an error prompt stating that network connectivity is down try again. so i decided to select what software i want to restore by holding shift and clicking restore. then i get another error prompt saying that firmware doesn't match. can someone please help me?

2. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

Welcome to the forum. The way this works is that the more information you provide the easier and quicker someone can help you.

iTunes is upgrading you to ios4.2?
    What are you trying to restore and what version?
    What version of iTunes are you using?
    Windows or Mac?

It all has to match in order to work.

3. inkdaddy66

inkdaddy66 New Member

im on iTunes10 right now. i don't know why it wants to restore 4.2. im trying to restore the iPhone because i cant get it to do anything except dfu mode as well as the power up Apple icon. i got this from my cousin and im trying to get it to work. i cant see any other information about the device

4. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

Which iTunes 10? 10.3 or 10.4 or 10.5 ?
    Which iPhone? 3. 3GS, 4?
    Windows or Mac?

5. inkdaddy66

inkdaddy66 New Member

iTunes 10.5, iPhone 3gs, windows7 64bit

6. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

I don't understand why it wants to update to 4.2 It should be asking you to update to ios5.

Turn your computer off and disconnect everything that you don't need like portable hard drives, flash drives, printer, etc.
    Put your iPhone in DFU mode. Check on you tube on how to do it. If you need to download "tinyumbrella" and kick it out of recovery. Then use it to get back into recovery mode and connect it to iTunes. It should tell you you're in recovery mode and you have to restore it. Go ahead and restore it to whatever version it lets you but it should be to ios5. It should step you through everything pretty easily.

The important thing is that sometimes the USB ports don't have enough power or interfere with each other so disconnect everything. That might help you as it has helped me in the past.

7. inkdaddy66

inkdaddy66 New Member

ok. thank you very much for your help. ill give that a shot

8. inkdaddy66

inkdaddy66 New Member

forgot to mention that when i attempted to restore before. the phone wont stay on. in dfu mode that is. is there a reason that it turns off?

9. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Have tried to download the firmware directly, not through iTunes / Apple? Check the site below, find the appropriate firmware and download it. Then when in DFU mode, choose the one you downloaded to restore too. Is the phone jail broken, or has it been before? If it has double check your host file to make sure it is pointing to Apple's servers. Tiny umbrella can help with that.

10. inkdaddy66

inkdaddy66 New Member

Ok the problem was... I didn't have my laptop hooked up directly to the modem. I had it all wireless. Peligro911 walked me through it and explained to me that there are firewalls on the comp as well as the router. After this. All was good.

11. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

I'm glad you got it working but I don't think that was the problem. I've done all my iPhones and every one of my neighbor's phones always on wifi. It must have been something else you did but whatever it was at least you're up and running and that was the goal.

12. inkdaddy66

inkdaddy66 New Member

Ha ha yeah. I was pulling my hair out. Thank you